Bishop Wants The Public To Pay For Churches Repairs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've visited many of them - both here and in many other places and including most of the great cathedrals of Europe. Each time, I couldn't help thinking that all the wonderful artistry was paid for fr

Maybe we should seize them from the Bish & sell them to fund university education

Cathedrals are monuments to man's stupidity, ignorance and immaturity.     .

Posted Images

I've visited many of them - both here and in many other places and including most of the great cathedrals of Europe. Each time, I couldn't help thinking that all the wonderful artistry was paid for from the contributions of many who could ill-afford it, that the labour was often supplied freely because the labourers were persuaded that doing god's work would help secure a place in heaven and that, ultimately, they stand as monuments to the vanity and stupidity of humanity and it's invented deity.

Therefore, I honestly wouldn't shed a single tear if all of them were to crumble into the dust.

If that is the foremost thought in your mind when confronted with the glory of a medieval gothic cathedral - arches soaring, vaults fanned, buttresses in full flight - then I do pity you. It could be argued that anything made or built in the name of religion is folly, and I would not venture to counter it, but it has nevertheless generated some of the most profound and beautiful expressions of man's search for meaning in his world.

You can pity as much as you like - but I feel equally sorry for anyone who can gaze at such artistic splendour and magnificence without considering the thousands of utterly wasted lives that went into its creation.

"To the greater glory of God"

The upkeep costs of most of these churches far exceed the revenue generated by the tiny congregations. That's just a consequence of the history of the Anglican church and its dwindling, dying congregations. Other kinds of churches (e.g. 'family' churches) are prospering in England. The question for IOM taxpayers is do they want the upkeep of these old buildings in the IOM to be assisted by Government or not ? Are any of them important parts of Manx heritage which should be maintained at public expense ? if not then let them crumble away until they become dangerous and have to be pulled down.

This is a "no brainer"

The churches were built and paid for a long time ago by the church authorities. If they cant afford to maintain them anymore, and they no longer server a purpose then they should be sold, possibly to developers who will demolish them, possibly to individuals who want to convert to live in, possibly to other churches who want to change the religion thingy.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the government/tax payer get involved.

• Like 1

It is quite common for local authorities at least over here to assume responsibility for church graveyards when once they are closed for burials. Demolishing ancient churches is a little more touchy!

It is very common for old graveyards to be cleared subject to various procedures such as contacting any kin who might have an interest although it requires legislation. Britain leads in clearing many tens of thousands of graves annually to make way for modern life...

One company doing this I think is called the London Necropolis Company...Channel 4 did a documentary a while back when they cleared St Luke's church Islington and the remains were buried elsewhere in a communal grave and the church is now rehearsal rooms for one of the main London orchestras. The programme was called "Changing Tombs"

A prime example and well documented was the clearance of the crypt of Christchurch in Spitalfields market London. The remains and clothing provided a lot historical material.

The crypt now serves as a venue for various functions.

A few years back the then Bishop of Sodor and Mann was perturbed that the Manx basically led the world in requesting exhumations when moving house ie Move from Douglas to Laxey and the locals wanted the Bishop to authorise a digging up so that the remains could be reburied in a more convenient location! Well, we know what a Manxman thinks of three miles!

This request to dig up Granny was a big news story at the time.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's not the churches that need looking at, it's the properties owned by the church that should be sold to fund any repairs needed:

Patrick Vicarage - £650,000 - http://www.blackgracecowley.com/details.php?id=24361895

Ballabeg Vicarage - £899,500 - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iLIkg579cfoJ:www.chrystals.co.im/residential/Ballabeg/House/Main-Road-Ballabeg952+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

How many other Vicarages are out there worth more than half a million pound each?

• Like 1

It's certainly fashionable to bash Christianity in Britain. But for an unprejudiced look at the strength of the faith have a look at:

2011 Census, Key Statistics for Local Authorities in England and Wales

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/index.html

The number of residents who stated that their religion was Christian in 2011 was fewer than in 2001. The size of this group decreased 13 percentage points to 59 per cent (33.2 million) in 2011 from 72 per cent (37.3 million) in 2001. The size of the group who stated that they had no religious affiliation increased by 10 percentage points from 15 per cent (7.7 million) in 2001 to 25 per cent (14.1 million) in 2011.

So, yes, there has been a decline. But, by affiliation, at 33.2 million souls Christians are the largest group in Britain. Consider, by contrast the major political parties:

Can UK political parties be saved from extinction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12934148

2011 Conservative 177,000 - Labour 190,000 - Lib Dem - 66,000 (Source: Estimates based on party reports and House of Commons Library)

Which grouping has more influence in British culture? Christians or the political parties?

So, I say, keep the Church, and Churches, intact for present and future generations.

That's bollocks, I don't believe in God or attend Church but I'm still from culturally a Christian. So tick I the box. They can't have my money though.

You can pity as much as you like - but I feel equally sorry for anyone who can gaze at such artistic splendour and magnificence without considering the thousands of utterly wasted lives that went into its creation.

What thinking person could not consider it? But for me this understanding only magnifies the experience. Anyway, I am really just probing whether you seriously wish them all to crumble to dust. At they very least, from your perspective they should stand as warnings to us of the propensities of our own nature.

Better watch out for Mr Anderson having something to say about this given he's a big churchite. Could be that the churches contribute zillions to tourism in the same way the railways have their anoraks contributing to the economy.