Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
asitis

Maderia Flight Not Enough Runway !

Have used this "direct" holiday on 6 occasions in the past - fortunately not his time! On three of the trips we re-fuelled at Belfast, Liverpool and Cork. Only added up to two hours extra on the trip. Return always direct. On each occasion of the re-fuel passengers were not notified until actually on board. This holiday should never in the future be advertised as direct but if it is a caveat should be added that there may have be a stop for re-fuelling. Better to safe than sorry or dead in the water!!

Several different charters have been used in the past and the best was Monarch.

Really like Madeira but in future will fly to Birmingham and overnight - also have a 10 night holiday.

The IOM departure airport surcharge is astronomical for this charter - plane comes in empty and leaves empty on the two legs.

Atlantic Holidays are really at fault for not factoring in what could happen with weather flight load etc. from past experience.

And we paid how many £millions to extend the runway!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

From the Atlantic Holidays site:

Flights

The flight routings used in connection with some of our holidays may be used on special fares which do not necessarily take the most direct route. Some itineraries require a change of aircraft en route. A flight that is described as direct is one where there is no need to change aircraft during the journey, however stops may be made en route for refuelling or to let passengers on and/ or off. Wherever possible, details of any stops will be given in your itinerary, however, should you require this information at an earlier stage, please check with your travel agent or our sales staff at the time of making your booking.

Looks like they've covered it quite nicely.

• Like 1

Why you getting so upset? It's not like this is an important thread.

You honestly think it is?

Not, really, but it's not an uninteresting thread either. I'm sure people contemplating booking a direct flight would be interested.

What I don't get is your little temper tantrum. You didn't need to read the thread, or reply, or keep returning to it, adding further replies, or get into a strop when someone made a harmless comment in a thread you considered pointless.

The wind change to the south was in the Ronaldsway TAF (aerodrome weather forecast), so the crew will/should have been expecting it.

I agree...I rang the MEA about it and even they said 'I'm sorry sir, this really has nothing to do with us'.

Have you been drinking? You aren't making any sense!

It's a piss take from "That's Life" the Esther Rantzen topical/consumer show from the 1970s

Either before your time or after your bedtime

Aviation fuel sure would make the shower hot!

Kerosene? Should work fine for heating.

Jet A1 fuel (Kero) - has no lubricity additives; caution domestic CH use due to potential for seized fuel pump/injector.

Tempting though, as JA1 doesn't have tax due. Around £0.33/litre last time I dealt with it (late 90's).

TBT.

I have to admit a wry smile when hearing of this plane sitting on the ground & secretly wishing that some of the smug bastards that have boasted about how convenient flying direct is (even though most of us can't afford it) were aboard. That'll learn ye,

I have to admit a wry smile when hearing of this plane sitting on the ground & secretly wishing that some of the smug bastards that have boasted about how convenient flying direct is (even though most of us can't afford it) were aboard. That'll learn ye,

Bad monkey. No raisin.

• Like 1

The wind change to the south was in the Ronaldsway TAF (aerodrome weather forecast), so the crew will/should have been expecting it.

Yeah but nobody believes the weather forecasters at Ronaldway.

I'm just amazed people still take those direct flights, they're really expensive compared to what you can get via Manchester or London.

An awful lot of older people are prepared to pay extra for the convenience, particularly if they are not in great health. They find travelling tiring enough as it is and they worry about missing connections. And lets face it, Manchester and Gatwick are large airports that are fairly irritating and confusing to change planes in - especially if you need to change terminals or collect and re-book in luggage (or risk interline losing it).

And, as has already been pointed out, any saving you would make, may be lost if you need overnight accommodation.

• Like 4

From the Atlantic Holidays site:

Flights

The flight routings used in connection with some of our holidays may be used on special fares which do not necessarily take the most direct route. Some itineraries require a change of aircraft en route. A flight that is described as direct is one where there is no need to change aircraft during the journey, however stops may be made en route for refuelling or to let passengers on and/ or off. Wherever possible, details of any stops will be given in your itinerary, however, should you require this information at an earlier stage, please check with your travel agent or our sales staff at the time of making your booking.

Looks like they've covered it quite nicely.

How dare you bring Facts in to this MassDebate ...Don't you know better!!!! down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg

Let's hope they got there safely, and the holiday wasn't topped off by finding on arrival they were staying in the Hotel 'Els Bells'.

Arsehole

Maybe if you didn't spend your hard earned on moribund festival of death you might be able afford something a little better.

Posted from Maderia

I will pass on your kind thoughts to some of those who've been been affected.

Really can't believe some people

Hope your wry smile doesn't affect your huge chip on your shoulder

Monkey boy you utter arsehole

Understand?

Edited by Erco
  • Like 1

I am quite shocked that this non-story has got as much coverage on Manx Radio news as it has today, every hour on the dot. Holidaymakers being interviewed saying they will be demanding huge compensation etc etc.

When you go on holiday your at the mercy of the weather and other unforeseen events like strikes, its what holiday insurance can be for.

If this planeload of people think for one moment that they will be getting a big payout then they are going to be very letdown, look at the small print on your tickets peeps, forget about any thought of big payout and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Forget about it and enjoy yourselves, sh*t happens and despite the current fad for someone always being to blame for everything that goes wrong in someones life, that attitude will always end with disappointment.

• Like 2