Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Ron Burgandy

Buses And Trains Lose £9 (Nine) Million

MANANNAN, on 29 Oct 2013 - 16:24, said:

Kopek, on 29 Oct 2013 - 14:36, said:

Are these buses being exchanged because the wrong decision was made on the type or because they are Friday factory lemons?

ie. who is to blame!

They were the first production Wright StreetLites and were subsequently found to have teething troubles.

Wright Bus will now evaluate them, and see what can be improved on.

i.e. Bus Vannin is not to blame, so you can calm down.

Now that last sentence is not entirely true, is it?

BV took a risk, and bought a totally unproven product literally 'off the drawing board' with all the obvious risks that entails. Wrightbus were a well respected builder of bus bodies, but their experience as a builder of whole vehicles was much less proven, and it showed in the finished product.

In a few weeks, we will have six brand new buses, of a type which has now matured, instead of six three year old ones, but without all the financial details we can't know if this was a good deal, overall, for BV, or if Wrightbus are still the real the winners here.

You're right that we can't know whether it was a good deal without the financial figures, but given the IOM government's track record in getting value for money I think we can guess (hospital plumbing, Iris, Peel bridge etc. etc.)

• Like 2

We need a competent executive government to do stuff, and a legislature that make sure it does it properly

Before I saw the text I said to myself "that looks American" and it bloody well is!

A waste o Money .....+ More money will need to be Wasted once it arrives as is it still wont fit threw one of the Bridges which needs to be modified or torn down n rebuilt.....

• Like 1

I'd like to think that this forum may have been instrumental with the 'New engine for the gravy train' thread in getting the political members to get the CS to see sense and not spend £750,000 on a brand new purpose built solution. We did at least do some online research to find them some cheaper options!

• Like 2

Before I saw the text I said to myself "that looks American" and it bloody well is!

Do you not think it looks like a squashed version of this?

http://www.miac.org.uk/images/58010.jpg

just seen the picture of the new loco and i too thought it looked like a mini class 58, i liked the look of those loco's when they came out, reminded me of two class 20's nose to nose.

• Like 1