Biggest Threat To Future Of Iom

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hehe...captured for posterity:  

Allan Bell and his merry men are quite simply spending what they should be saving, and moreover, raiding the piggy bank of reserves too - all to fund £320M on government wages and salaries alone, let

Why not force all cs pensions to be FULLY funded by the employee. That is the case with my pension provision - ie what I save is mine, no tax payer is now or in the future has a commitment to my pensi

Posted Images

I wouldn't ignore the story text entirely:

The Council of Ministers will soon be receiving a report on the ageing population – the issue the Chief Minister has described as ‘the biggest threat to the economic and social future of the Isle of Man.’

Apparently the problem is the current 65-year olds. Maybe they could be more specific?

Allan Bell and his merry men are quite simply spending what they should be saving, and moreover, raiding the piggy bank of reserves too - all to fund £320M on government wages and salaries alone, let alone the massive pension liabilities acruing.

Utter profligacy, utter madness...they are bankrupting us.

The man needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

• Like 4

Wasn't the NI pot raided for the new Hospital? Was the money ever replaced and if not shouldn't it be using some of our much talked of 'reserves'?

Of course it doesn't help that Govt is 'incentivising' it's employees to retire early to get head count down - they then become net claimants not contributors.....

I think Moghrey Mie made a very good point on this very subject over on the warm and friendly hug thread:

They could start by recognising the positive contribution that older people make to the community and stop talking about the 'problem' of people living longer.

If everybody over the age of 65 downed tools and stopped doing all the child-minding, volunteering, caring for others, running charities etc etc this island would see a big effect.

Retirement age has been raised. I get my OAP at 66. My younger friend will wait until 67

The retired civil servants I know simply can't believe the money they are receiving and they admit themselves they do not need it. Certainly not so much of it. They no longer have children to look after and have no mortgage responsibilities and yet the money rolls in and is unstoppable like the tide.

There is a huge monetary imbalance in our society but the human greed factor does not allow that imbalance to be addressed.

Some people I was at school with were mediocre at best. They are now approaching early retirement after doing nearly 40 years as Government employees, some have reached the top echelons of the civil service pay scale. After retiring I can see them surviving another 40 years on a whack of a pension each and every month, right through their 60s, 70s, 80, and more than likely at least some of their 90s.

It's crazy.

Edited by RonnieD
  • Like 2

while our joint pension is less than the minimum wage, however we get by principally because we are frugal, have a couple of grand in the bank and no mortgage because we worked damned hard.

I don't believe that the members of our gov. deserve more than us and I certainly don't believe that they have done any more for the community.................but hey, people like us don't count.

• Like 1