Iom Met Office - What Is The Point?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel that as one who has had to make extensive use of the Ronaldsway met facility I have to speak up in its, and the metmens', support. I'll start by telling you a short story about met services an

I can see how some people can be dismissive of the services the Met Office provide. If you get in your air-conned car in the morning, park in the office car park, shuffle paper all day then head home,

Is this not like what is being said on the 8000 thread? The island may need something like this because we are a separate country?   If not, then they should be replaced with an App. Or better still

Actually I was surprised to see that the UK Met Office has ~ 2,000 employees, so pro-rata the Island has double but all things considered 6 doesn't seem too high.

I have over the last 3/4 months bought a few Apple Weather Apps that cover the Isle of Man and I have to say they are very reliable and intuitive.

Compare them to the tosh you get on Gov.im it is money well spent, pity I am also paying through the IOM Government Tax system for a service that is a bit outdated in terms of service delivery!

The airport is open 364 days from 0600 to 2100 (ish) I'm guessing that they work some kind of shift pattern too

Picture the scene - Manx Radio Weather from the Met Office at Ronaldsway at 09.00hrs the other morning - Scottish Gent's accent;

Fastyr mie oops I mean Moghrey mie!

FFS where is me iphone love so I can find out what the weather is going to be like on the Isle of Man today :-)

• Like 1

There is a Hurricane about to happen in the south of England which could extend North but nowt really mentioned on the Isle of Man Gov.im Met Office site!

the hobby farmers will be making sure the sheep are on the highest piece of land they own, so they get another compensation payout

I'be generally found the iom met office reports pretty accurate for the next 36 hours or so, after that it's just a guessing game. BBC online reports can be wildly inaccurate and often seem totally at odds to what they spout on the tv.

I know a lot of climbers and outdoor sports types use the Norwegian service - yr.no - which does seem to be pretty good worldwide.

Watch the Formula 1. From anywhere in the World. Those guys are aware of the weather conditions from the next 20 minutes right through to 72 hours away. Pretty precise too.

Our weather men are good for letting their granny know if it will be a good day to put out the washing or nip down to the shops. And they also provide a service of translating the temperature into "old money". Or at least one of them does.

Well worth having a full contingent of Manx Radio 10-minute morning celebrities on good pay and pension on call.

I had to pass an exam in meteorology once (scraped through) and despite the supercomputers it's still as much a black art as a science.

As Slim says, they provide the data that all online met services use, and feed into the UK system as well. Aviation requires accurate 'actual' weather at Ronaldsway and various timescales of forecast, all of which are a legal requirement of flight planning. I dunno from maritime, but assume a similar system prevails.

I always liked talking on air to the duty forecaster when I presented Mandate. Each had his own personality and foibles - and I found the 'old money' thing, occasional cock-ups and Colin's Scots accent endearing rather than irritating,

I always liked talking on air to the duty forecaster when I presented Mandate. Each had his own personality and foibles - and I found the 'old money' thing, occasional cock-ups and Colin's Scots accent endearing rather than irritating,

I see what you mean Stu but totally draw the line at a guy using a self styled 'catch phrase' of "old money" each and every time he read the weather, for about 2 or 3 years at least that I remember . I understand that he was eventually persuaded it was a nob-head thing to keep saying. I just switched off - still do in fact - each time his effected voice creeps onto the airwaves to tell us just what the Mandate presenter said quite normally a few minutes previously at the start of the programme.

Edited by RonnieD

You tell me cunt hooks,its a guessing game.

Get rid,unless there is sustained high or low pressure the forecasters are guessing.

Why study meteorology for for years when you can just read mf..