Jeremy Paxman - Russell Brand Newsnight Interview

75% seems a bit of a round number, could you give an estimate to more significant figures?

Well, if you want a qualitative response, I don't like the term "wealth redistribution" and I feel that much of what he said, although no doubt sincerely meaning well, would only result in a centralised tyrannical government.

Which is the main issue I have with "revolutionaries" who demand and argue for change and new ways of thinking. Once you get into the detail what it boils down to is a similar system to what we have now but run by the "revolutionaries" or they cannot tell you what the alternatives are.

I don't think the current system works that well. It does encourage politicians to be self-serving otherwise how are they ever going to get re-elected.

That also means that those who do not vote are people that come election time politicians are not going to be that interested in. Why bother trying to engage with people who share the same beliefs as Russel Brand when they steadfastly refuse to vote in the current system. Much better for those standing for election to focus on the people who will vote.

Most normal people who share Brands ideas are just standing on the outside looking in. Brand has the celebrity profile to get his views out there and the opportunity to explain them. How many others can say the same? (And YouTube doesn't really count).

75% seems a bit of a round number, could you give an estimate to more significant figures?

Well, if you want a qualitative response, I don't like the term "wealth redistribution" and I feel that much of what he said, although no doubt sincerely meaning well, would only result in a centralised tyrannical government.

I don't much like Paxman and I seriously dislike Brand so nearly 11 minutes of the pair together would be too much for me.

What's it all about and if it's important, can't they find someone important to back the cause?

Which is the main issue I have with "revolutionaries" who demand and argue for change and new ways of thinking. Once you get into the detail what it boils down to is a similar system to what we have now but run by the "revolutionaries" or they cannot tell you what the alternatives are.

I don't think the current system works that well. It does encourage politicians to be self-serving otherwise how are they ever going to get re-elected.

That also means that those who do not vote are people that come election time politicians are not going to be that interested in. Why bother trying to engage with people who share the same beliefs as Russel Brand when they steadfastly refuse to vote in the current system. Much better for those standing for election to focus on the people who will vote.

Most normal people who share Brands ideas are just standing on the outside looking in. Brand has the celebrity profile to get his views out there and the opportunity to explain them. How many others can say the same? (And YouTube doesn't really count).

Well, I pretty much agree with everything you just said. Brand is a mindless, ignorant ideologue and all this nonsense about encouraging people not to vote is absolutely ridiculous. Voting is the only way to bring about change. If we all stopped voting, it would make all the things he complains about even worse because there would be less accountability (accountability being second only to representation as the key function of elections). He didn't even propose that we support third parties or independent candidates, he just sweepingly told us to not vote at all. If I didn't know better, I'd assume he was a COINTEL agent because increased voter apathy and less people at the voting stations plays right into the hands of the people he moans about. One other point I would raise is that Paxman didn't seem to recognise, and Brand failed to articulate, that political democracy is all for nothing without economic democracy. It's all well and good voting for an MP or an MHK and having a say in political issues, but what say do ordinary people have (other than as consumers) in the running of the economy? Quite often I think the media and academia exaggerate just how much power and influence the political institutions can have on the wider economy -- it's generally the other way around, with economic forces and those with economic power giving marching orders to the political institutions.

Maybe because my family built a lot of the Victorian buildings on the island. If anyone should be sentimental, it's me, and I wouldn't blink an eye if half of them were knocked down.

Sounds like some of your family may have been exactley the people in society who you rail against now. Those in positions of power and with plenty of money. I guess you were born on the "wrong" side of the family to inherit?

Your opinion is that georgian architecture is better than victorian, however, is present day architecture better than victorian? What will people in 50 - 100 years think of pur generation pulling down victorian buildings?

I'm afraid you seem to have misunderstood me, Manxman. I do not rail against people just because they have power and wealth. I have relatives all over the world who own very successful businesses, as soon as my brain recovers from a complete meltdown I intend to be financially successful myself, I am friends with rich people in the UK, and it has never even occured to me that being wealthy was a bad thing. It's what people do with it, and how they treat other people which concerns me. I do not begrudge anyone for being rich and I think it is necessary to the functioning of our economy that there be rich people.

As for Victorian architecture, I happen to support preserving it because it's a lot nicer and much better built than the newer cube-shaped ugly things. It's just that one clock I don't like.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

I don't much like Paxman and I seriously dislike Brand so nearly 11 minutes of the pair together would be too much for me.

What's it all about and if it's important, can't they find someone important to back the cause?

I like Jeremy Paxman, and I liked him all the more when he came out of the closet against ties.

Quite. I think Brand argued very effectively regarding what was wrong with the current political system. What he utterly failed to do, and it's a recurring theme, is come up with an alternative.

Still, a passionate interview and interesting to see him flip between glib and witty to impassioned and fully angry. I like watching people who give a shit about what they're saying, and he clearly does. The last bit was particularly effective.

• Like 1

Paxman's facial expressions during this interview are classic Paxman.

I imagine they would be just the same if he were to interview Peter Karran when he becomes the MP for the Isle of Man if/when we become a county of England.

In fact why wait until then, I think we should invite Paxman over to interview Peter. That would be a mega Youtube hit and really put Isle of Man on the world map.

I imagine they would be just the same if he were to interview Peter Karran when he becomes the MP for the Isle of Man if/when we become a county of England.

In fact why wait until then, I think we should invite Paxman over to interview Peter. That would be a mega Youtube hit and really put Isle of Man on the world map.

Youtube 'Tit' more like:

post-2251-0-25754600-1382873303_thumb.jpg