' Suffering An Injustice' - P A G Criticises Legal System

Feisty piece on the Positive Action Group website:

Justice - truth in action

http://www.positiveactiongroup.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=491:justice-truth-in-action&catid=47:tynwald&Itemid=87

Suffering an injustice is one of the most damaging human experiences. It gnaws at your emotions and of those near to you.

3 cases to ponder:

Five and a half years ago my house was totally demolished by Manx Gas. I didn't have mains gas at all and the forensic inspectors proved without a doubt it was mains gas that demolished my house. Manx Gas have spent five and a half years refusing to accept responsibility! Is this justice?

and

Think how the family of Michael Joseph Davidson must feel. It's over 18 months since the 26 year old was found dead in Jurby Prison. The Inquest was opened and then adjourned for the IoM police to investigate. This took 15 months, until the end June 2013. The inquest still hasn't been resumed!

and

Our police respond to drug offending with some vehemence, but this is not necessarily always so. As a retired detective inspector found out after he discovered about 60 cannabis plants being cultivated in a disused quarry in Maughold - he said "It looked like a jungle". A man detained in connection with the find received only a caution after being arrested by the police. The decision not to prosecute was taken on advice from the Attorney General's Chambers.

Can you get justice in the Isle of Man? Having read this I'm not so sure.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The justice system here is as unjust as it is everywhere else - ie. your access to "justice" depends on how much money you've got.

So there must be records of the find of the illegal drugs in maughold, records of the arrest, records of the report to the AG chambers,records of the AG chambers research into the person and the evide

I'd say that the legal system should be under scrutiny (as elsewhere) and that those making the rules, carrying them out or representing the public should be watched as far too often, complacency and

Well, it shouldn't be any problem finding an advocate to try (please note, "try"...) and get some - we've got 200-odd of the feckers...........w00t.gif

Edited by Non-Believer

So there must be records of the find of the illegal drugs in maughold, records of the arrest, records of the report to the AG chambers,records of the AG chambers research into the person and the evidence, records of the tests done on the plants found, records of how they were destroyed, !

but if a young kid caught with a fivers worth goes through the sysyem they are taken to court. something stinks about this !

same as the Andreas mystery when the man lost his trousers !

• Like 4

Could it be in the Maughold case the Police had insufficent evidence, shock horror.

In the Manx Gas "case" has a claim in the Isle of Man been issued ? The reporting was vague on his mentioning something about UK proceedings.

I'm not sure about the Jurby case.

Each of these cases needs a careful analysis rather than a paragaraph of alleged injustice.

It is my belief that it is possible to get a fair remedy in the Manx courts.

Well, it shouldn't be any problem finding an advocate to try (please note, "try"...) and get some - we've got 200-odd of the feckers...........w00t.gif

yes there are plenty of briefs in the I-o-m, but just who would you trust???. having worked in legal offices on the island for the best part of 30 years I really can honestly say I would not trust one of them with anything really confidential, if I was to need the services of a brief to represent me in anything with a degree of common sense involved I would employ a decent advocate from the uk.

yes there are plenty of briefs in the I-o-m, but just who would you trust???. having worked in legal offices on the island for the best part of 30 years I really can honestly say I would not trust one of them with anything really confidential, if I was to need the services of a brief to represent me in anything with a degree of common sense involved I would employ a decent advocate from the uk.

Winston Taylor was great for me in the recent Nunnery debacle, being fresh in from the Uk and all that . He tried his heart out proved that the "statement of facts" in the Nunnery fishing rights case was a crock of shite and could not believe that the Crown Prosecuter was allowed to change the whole basis of prosecution at the last minute to get a conviction(Winstons face was a picture mouth open and rolling his eyes) a conviction that the magistrates did not feel the need to explain even though by law they had to? The basis which Mr Swain later withdrew at appeal. So the Deemsters simply set precedent in manx law to make the charge sticksmile.png

Welcome to the Isle of Man Winston "Where you can" A toytown Island with a toytown administration process.

• Like 2

In what evolved into a serious matter, I needed an advocate I could trust. So I went to one that I had been at school with for many years. Not the best brain I realised but at least I could trust her, I thought.

How very, very wrong I was.

Manx advocates' only allegiance would appear to be to their fellow lawyers, irrespective of what side they are on. And a very strong allegiance to money, money, money of course.

High time the closed - and I have to say, corrupt - shop of the Isle of Man justice system was opened up.

Edited by RonnieD
  • Like 3

That's not been my experience.

Also, A UK lawyer won't have rights of audience here unless granted a license by the courts.

In what evolved into a serious matter, I needed an advocate I could trust. So I went to one that I had been at school with for many years. Not the best brain I realised but at least I could trust her, I thought.

How very, very wrong I was.

Manx advocates' only allegiance would appear to be to their fellow lawyers, irrespective of what side they are on. And a very strong allegiance to money, money, money of course.

High time the closed - and I have to say, corrupt - shop of the Isle of Man justice system was opened up.

If she has erred, make a complaint to the the Advocates Disciplinary Tribunal.

How do you propose they "open up the closed shop?"

• Like 1

Our police respond to drug offending with some vehemence, but this is not necessarily always so. As a retired detective inspector found out after he discovered about 60 cannabis plants being cultivated in a disused quarry in Maughold - he said "It looked like a jungle". A man detained in connection with the find received only a caution after being arrested by the police. The decision not to prosecute was taken on advice from the Attorney General's Chambers.

Cannabis use oughtn't to be illegal anyway. Justice would not be served by prosecuting someone for growing it. That is my view. Obviously other people think differently. This alone shows that people have different ideas on what justice is. The decision not to prosecute in this particular case is not one of those galling injustices that we all feel in our stomachs. Nobody was "wronged" by it.

I have never seen any evidence or even the slightest indication of corruption in our justice system.

No offence, Homarus, but you brought your legal situation on yourself. Nobody forced you to go and wind up the Department of Education and get up the nose of the Manx Game Fishing Club. It's not like you were just caught fishing and then ended up in court for it, you repeatedly ignored warnings and made a big fuss about it. Any sensible person would have just stopped fishing there.

• Like 2

No offence Thomas but at times you are full of shite!

I simply asked as a member of the public for proof of a private companies claim to exclusive use of public land and was subsequently bullshitted and ignored for 2 years before being shown a lease containing the names of 2 parties that had both ceased to exist,a lease that Ken Huggett and Neil Richmond both admitted under questioning, was their only claim to ownership. As for winding up the Dep of education and that fat arrogant incompetent tool John Gill,I,ve only just started.

Even the monkeys on the magistrates panel accepted that the lease was void(Ergo not valid in law) but they went with the claim Mr Swain that all government land is private even though he never supplied any proof to back his assertion,an assertion that he later withdrew at appeal after being requested to provide same at appeal.

Read the case notes it's all there

"Oh" by the way I was never shown any original copy of the purported lease until I think the 3rd day?of the case ,as I recall?

These people are supposed to carry out their duties for the public benifit not for the benifit of private entities it is clearly set out in their terms and conditions and also code of conduct so forgive me if I don't buy into the "Be a good chap and run along now mentality" that a lot seem to have fallen into line with.

We are all the same ,all equal in the eyes of the law ,well that's the theory( and basis of our supposed democracy )anyway.

I will be writing to make a formal complaint about the behaviour of staff at both departments as soon as I have a chance to sit down and E-mail the relevent people at the minute I'm working 7 days a week 12 hr days in a very hot climate(Loving it though!) and this is the first time for almost a month I've had the energy to type, "Amadeus" will know what I'm talking about!!

All the best H

Edited by homarus
  • Like 2

So there must be records of the find of the illegal drugs in maughold, records of the arrest, records of the report to the AG chambers,records of the AG chambers research into the person and the evidence, records of the tests done on the plants found, records of how they were destroyed, !

but if a young kid caught with a fivers worth goes through the sysyem they are taken to court. something stinks about this !

same as the Andreas mystery when the man lost his trousers !

Not strictly true I would be very surprised if someone is sent to court the first time they are caught with drugs that is for personal use

Edited by thommo2010