Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Chinahand

Ambassadors

What did people make of Michell and Webb's latest - Ambassadors?

I found it slightly odd, I didn't think it really knew where it was going - with the mix of comedy and real life not really working.

The plots were a bit too conveniently wrapped up in the last 5 minutes and the cliche and farce grating with its attempts to deal with more serious issues - corruption, espionage, political dissent etc.

All in all a rather odd set of programmes.

I watched all of them, but wouldn't be that surprised if they did't commission any others.

Thoughts?

it is funny but imho it is bbc propaganda intended to discredit craig murray.

Craig Murray, former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan published by Mainstream Publishing, 29 June 2006. It is an account of Murray's experiences as ambassador and his persecution by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office for his persistence in raising issues of the gross abuse of human rights in Uzbekistan.

https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Murder_in_Samarkand

once you twig you are being led up the garden path to feel that a decent man is a comedic buffoon then it becomes less enjoyable/funny.

CrossRoss, was it also a BBC plot to discredit Chen Guancheng the blind human rights campaigner who escaped from detention and ended up in the US embassy in Beijing? He is clearly the inspiration for the character in the second episode portrayed wandering around the embassy in his underpants and bumbling into Royal Receptions etc.

Drawn from life doesn't mean its a conspiracy to discredit anyone - in my view the Ambassador himself comes over as quite a sympathetic person and the parallels with Craig Murray were quite obvious - it isn't something that has been successfully covered up - you can buy his book on Amazon for £5.75.

I have to say I think it is a bit odd that you think the BBC is propagandising for the establishment by parodying the UK government's desire to sell arms, use Royals to get oil concessions and use UK special forces to prop up dictators, but that seems to be par for the course in CrossRossland.

All in all a rather odd set of programmes.

Thoughts?

You asked for thoughts, I gave them honestly.

They were thoughts and opinions and in return you gave me abuse - not very kind.

You are correct the series is odd and is not really a comedy nor a documentary but is effective propaganda.

Propaganda has to be seen as something else to be effective. The BBC are extremely good at propaganda. Like a Derren Brown trick very few know how it is done and even if you know it is virtually impossible to avoid thinking the triggered thoughts.

CrossRoss - may I ask you what effective propoganda you see in a programme which shows the UK government going all out for arms sales, using the Royals to win oil concessions and using their special forces to keep a dictator in power while an ineffectual, but well meaning, Ambassador and his staff do their best to help dissidents and improve the human rights situation in the country.

I'd really like to understand what you mean by the series being effective propaganda - propaganda for what?

tricks are well done with stereotypes.

we play a model of a person (typically a stereotype) in our heads and use programmes to reinforce or challenge those images.

Ambassadors simply reinforces stereotyped images to be used later presumably in the news etc - my best guess

Derren Brown does most of his work prior to the actual trick in prepping the patsy.

The easiest programme to see through at the moment is Homeland, the baddies are the Iranians because the programme is prepping us for some kind of war with Iran.

It is possible to hijack someone's mind unbeknown to their rational mind - just look at the faces of Derren Brown's patsies

The easiest programme to see through at the moment is Homeland, the baddies are the Iranians because the programme is prepping us for some kind of war with Iran.

Aren't the baddies the CIA in that?

CrossRoss, was it also a BBC plot to discredit Chen Guancheng the blind human rights campaigner who escaped from detention and ended up in the US embassy in Beijing? He is clearly the inspiration for the character in the second episode portrayed wandering around the embassy in his underpants and bumbling into Royal Receptions etc.

Then there's in the incident in the third episode where the Ambassador & his missus are walking down the path and their passes around their necks are photo side outwards. But when they reach the gate the passes are reverse side forward.

Clearly a lame joke at the expense of the Chilean disappeared.

Then there's in the incident in the third episode where the Ambassador & his missus are walking down the path and their passes around their necks are photo side outwards. But when they reach the gate the passes are reverse side forward.

Clearly a lame joke at the expense of the Chilean disappeared.

please enlighten me as this seems subtle

• Like 1

the scriptwiters of corrie have probably been told to change people's perception of assisted suicide and euthanasia with the roy cropper hayley storyline.

watch out for this being slipped into legislation without too much of a fuss in the next few years

no coincidence roy cropper is being associated with the old fashioned view