Anpr Is Here

angelo

To cancel the policy you have to return the disc?

Yeah that will work. You just have to rely on the type of person who doesn't have insurance being honest and returning the disc when they default on or cancel the payments.

If you made everyone pay for their policy up front and only issued refunds upon return of the disc that would work. Not going to happen though is it?

To cancel the policy you have to return the disc?

Yeah that will work. You just have to rely on the type of person who doesn't have insurance being honest and returning the disc when they default on or cancel the payments.

If you made everyone pay for their policy up front and only issued refunds upon return of the disc that would work. Not going to happen though is it?

Disc only covers till next payment due? And if paying installments, costs you a bit more?

ETA: Not being argumentative...just looking for a solution.

Edited by Albert Tatlock

Disc only covers till next payment due? And if paying installments, costs you a bit more?

ETA: Not being argumentative...just looking for a solution.

Likewise

Here's my solution.

Every car has a black box fitted as a legal requirement that records your location and speed. If your policy lapses they just stop the car starting until you sort it. Likewise with tax

For best results the drivers need to be microchipped so only the people covered on the policy can drive the car.

Genuinely wouldn't bother or concern me at all and after the initial setup no more admin on tax discs or insurance certificates.

Watch speeding stop overnight, and accident investigations become much more straightforward and cost effective.

Crime full stop would reduce as only authorised people can drive vehicles and they are all traceable.

I might patent it.

• Like 1

But you need a valid insurance certificate to obtain a tax disc.

The traffic wardens I have observed check the tax disc as well as checking the parking disc.

You do.

You can then walk out of the post office and cancel the policy, or cancel the direct debit, or have it cancelled by the insurer because payments bounce.

The only reliable way to catch the type of people who don't insure their cars is a real time check against a database.

In this case the Insurance company will advise the DoI that the insurance has been cancelled, certainly Tower Insurance do!

as always, I don't quite understand!

If, as reported today in the Examiner there are, '3% of vehicles driving on the roads without a tax disc and 6% parked without a tax disc', and if as reported, 'the ANPR system scans vehicle registrations as they drive past', then how does the system scan the PARKED vehicles??

instead of waiting for cars to drive past the camera, you drive the camera past the parked cars, simple really! it could do laps of chester street car park and the prom every few hours, it could even flag up if the same car is in the same place on the prom and some cheating parking disc changer can get done for parking too long in the same zone at the same time. i can't understand why the current traffic wardens don't just walk the prom with a video camera checking discs, and then repeat the route with the camera to check off against, and see who's still there with a different time on their disc. disc changing is very common but rarely caught ( which i guess is why its common )

In this case the Insurance company will advise the DoI that the insurance has been cancelled, certainly Tower Insurance do!

It all goes in the Motor Insurance Database now. I'd checked with an insurance company earlier in the year when one of mine didn't appear on the MID and was informed that they didn't register Manx policies on the MID, but as from next renewal there would be a requirement for it anyway. No need to re-write the rules of who has to tell who, the Police/DoI can simply use an existing mechanism to check insurance.

It all goes in the Motor Insurance Database now. I'd checked with an insurance company earlier in the year when one of mine didn't appear on the MID and was informed that they didn't register Manx policies on the MID, but as from next renewal there would be a requirement for it anyway. No need to re-write the rules of who has to tell who, the Police/DoI can simply use an existing mechanism to check insurance.

The current position (no need for rule rewriting) is that the DoI are informed by Tower when a policy is cancelled.

So without "rule writing" the DoI have access on an exception reporting basis of the policies cancelled.

My tower policies are registered on the MID - Tower confirm this procedure on their website http://www.towerinsurance.co.im/news/89-mid-motor-insurance-database-and-tower.html

The current position (no need for rule rewriting) is that the DoI are informed by Tower when a policy is cancelled.

So without "rule writing" the DoI have access on an exception reporting basis of the policies cancelled.

My tower policies are registered on the MID - Tower confirm this procedure on their website http://www.towerinsurance.co.im/news/89-mid-motor-insurance-database-and-tower.html

That's fine then so long as everyone is insured by Tower, the DoI will get their very own notification. What about everyone else?

For everyone else the MID is the standard, which now includes other IOM specific insurers that previously didn't use it.

That's fine then so long as everyone is insured by Tower, the DoI will get their very own notification. What about everyone else?

For everyone else the MID is the standard, which now includes other IOM specific insurers that previously didn't use it.

I am not sure about everyone else, I've researched the position about Tower, how about you research the position of the others and post the results.