Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
sarahc

Flybe To Cut 500 Jobs

If they can't afford to do a Guernsey and set up a state funded airline why don't they do some sort of deal with them whereby they operate certain IOM routes?

Once again, more talks with BA for the London City route too, though Scotland has gone very quiet

http://manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=68509

What's the betting that if BA return to London City the IoM govt will try and take the credit whilst absolving themselves of any blame for routes being lost.

Seems to me that either the Govt can either accept responsibility for both or neither.

I see that the Eastern Saab that was on the IOM-LCY route last year is now assigned to the Rotterdam route next summer.

Easyjet summer timetable for LPL route is only once daily as well.

Its a travesty that those in government who have helped bring about this mess are sitting pretty in well paid jobs or in receipt of lucrative pensions whilst those who had for years provided a reliable, frequent service to the Island are just cast onto the rubbish heap.

• Like 2

If they can't afford to do a Guernsey and set up a state funded airline why don't they do some sort of deal with them whereby they operate certain IOM routes?

Or as I've suggested before, even try to get on board with them and share the costs. Run it as a joint board. May tell us to ge to hell but no harm in asking. We may already have asked of course.

The Let410s and Jetstreams are fine, it's just when people are not used to it, they don't like it. Likewise with those who only fly on Jets, and then go on a Q400 for the first time, they panic and are scared sh*tless by the spinning props.

Anyway, one of my industry friends sent me this link showing a graph of all FlyBe bases and prices. The Isle of Man is the cheapest average airfare in the entire FlyBe base network, and one of the shortest sectors too (but not the shortest). No wonder it's going!

http://www.anna.aero/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/CHT-BE-x-y-graph.png

And I can see BA going as well for the same reason.... I hope I am wrong.

Interesting about BA's LCY to Rotterdam there, I guess that means it's not coming back to the island

In 2013 Aurigny is on target to 'lose' £3.5m (or cost the taxpayer that sum to safeguard it's key routes). When I look at the amount of money this government wastes annually, to safeguard it's own transport links £3.5m is a reasonable amount.

Although I do agree with the suggestion that the offshore islands, (of whom all of them are under the cosh at the moment), should look for more co-operation on certain issues such as this, as the offshore market is no longer big enough to have them all compete against each other now. Times have changed. An airline might be one such subject to share costs and have mutual benefit.

All this talk still doesn't address the daily day return to London. As I see it there are no landing slots left at either London City (if BA use the old one for another route) and Gatwick (now owned by Easyjet).

Interesting about BA's LCY to Rotterdam there, I guess that means it's not coming back to the island

I assume Eastern have more than one Saab 2000 though and would be happy to lease it to BA Cityflyer.

It will be a job to emigrate soon at this rate

All this talk still doesn't address the daily day return to London. As I see it there are no landing slots left at either London City (if BA use the old one for another route) and Gatwick (now owned by Easyjet).

Aurigny have more than enough if we were sharing Guernsey's costs.

Interesting article. Even more interesting comments beneath it.

http://www.thisisguernsey.com/news/2013/10/02/tr-to-assess-aurigny-monopoly-despite-easyjet-application/

SAMPLE COMMENT:

I find it amazing with all this talk of airline subsidies, $45M Jets, bail outs and the like, that as an Island we are happy for two Primary Schools to close whilst we continue to fund the continual LOSS making Aurigny! The rest of Europe gave up on state run, inefficient white elephants years ago, but not here in Guernsey, we have to protect our vital “Life lines” at the expense of our children’s education. This mistake will haunt/cost us all dear for a very long time!

Ain't the grass always greener somewhere else!

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

The Govt annually looses £X millions on a bus service each year amd on a heitage railway system

The Govt has interfered with the free market with reagrd to shipping to ensure that there is a regular, frequent and continuing servives

It seems though that with air transport the Govt just does not care at present and are unwilling or unable to get involved. How bad does it have to get before they do? Would they just sit back and do nothing if there were only one flight a day to both London and Liverpool. What about none? Hypothetically, how poor do our airlinks have to get before they actually are prepared to do something? Easyjet could pull out at a moments notice next year. It really concerns me that if that is the case the Govt have no contingency plans beyond sit and hope another carrier would take over.

The Govt annually looses £X millions on a bus service each year amd on a heitage railway system

The Govt has interfered with the free market with reagrd to shipping to ensure that there is a regular, frequent and continuing servives

It seems though that with air transport the Govt just does not care at present and are unwilling or unable to get involved. How bad does it have to get before they do? Would they just sit back and do nothing if there were only one flight a day to both London and Liverpool. What about none? Hypothetically, how poor do our airlinks have to get before they actually are prepared to do something? Easyjet could pull out at a moments notice next year. It really concerns me that if that is the case the Govt have no contingency plans beyond sit and hope another carrier would take over.

And look how we moan about the money spent on the bus company and especially the IOMSPCo. Exactly the same would happen if they stepped in here like that.

They are not stupid, if they think it is critical that we have flights to X,Y or Z then they will sort something. As I said, part in jest above, there is now a charter company that will take care of the needs of the big business players, the rest? They will have to make do.

If they cant afford to charter then they are unlikely to be doing that much business that the government would be interested in subsidising by way of setting up an airline of their own.

That may sound a bit harsh but if a company, already benefiting from no company tax and the owners, about half the personal tax, compared to the UK then they maybe need to think about their businesses location.

FlyBe, Aer Arann, Citywing, Woodgate, Eastern etc all offer charters, so the new company is just trying to get in on that. Not many want to pay £5000 for a group of 10 to do a day trip to London though!

Completely right on the Govts side - they aren't going to spend any money on it. There will always be airlinks here, even if they are reduced substantially.

Edited by Tarne