Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
sarahc

Flybe To Cut 500 Jobs

5000 for a group of 10

At 500 per head that sounds good value

About the same as Manx Airlines adjusted for inflation

No it doesn't.

We are in austere times and even large companies wont want to pay that regularly.

With less waiting around and a far better experience I would think that large companies would be quite willing to pay those type of sums if they need to get to a specific location at short notice.

Not regularly. Its stupid to when its unnecessary. Just my opinion.

Fair point but it may well be necessary, very necessary, the only option for some.

I really dont think the IOM government have any plans to step in as a carrier, nor should they in my opinion.

I hear that Ian Longworth has been tasked with devising the IOMG contingency plans for the future of air travel.

His proposal is to buy a brand new Boeing 777-300 at cost of nearly £200m, which will accomodate nearly 400 passengers so will only need to make a single round trip to/from the Island each day. The aircraft will be finished in an anonymous and uninspiring all silver livery.

Because the longest flights will be little more than an hour, the plane will have no seats and everyone will have to stand. Longworth has confirmed that his experience at BV shows that passengers are quite happy to stand for such a short period of time.

Between its single daily flights, the plane will sit unusd at the Airport. Again, quoting from the BV bible of operational efficiency, he has produced a detailed business case that clearly shows that the less you use very expensive assets, the more commercial sense it makes, and the more often you will need to buy a new one.

Suggestions from the Department of Infrastructure that the chosen aircraft will be too big to either land, or take-off, from Reynoldsway without extensive modifcations to runways, taxiways, and terminal gates, have been dismissed as 'unwelcome scare-mongering and interference' by the infamous transport meglomaniac.

• Like 9

Then, after it's reached the end of its operational life, (six months) he'll arrange for it to be converted into a 'fine dining experience'. Because we all know there's nothing like airline food.

• Like 1

Meanwhile the airport directress has predicted that using the new 777 asset will increase the throughput of passengers to something approaching 10 million a year and that Castletown will be demolished to make way for a further runway expansion and a brand new terminal 2 with a huge retail experience for waiting travellers. She has intimated however that Tescos will not be involved in the development to placate the gatekeeper of Castletown Mr Ronan !

Pay rises and new jobs all round boys Yay !!

sorry its this new medication !

• Like 3

With Flybe shutting 6 bases and laying off many pilots and cabin crew, one assumes they won't be needing all their Q400's. I wonder if the IOM government has discussed dry leasing a couple of the surplus aircraft from FlyBe.

We already have more than enough pilots and cabin crew on the Isle of Man to crew the Q400, so why not try and make use of them?

If we privatised the 35k a year baggage handlers, i reckon we'd safe enough money to crew two Q400's easy peasy

• Like 2

I would be quite happy to take my bags to the back of the plane and get them out the back again.

We did something like that in the 1960s if I remember correctly. No need for baggage handlers at all.

I would be quite happy to take my bags to the back of the plane and get them out the back again.

We did something like that in the 1960s if I remember correctly. No need for baggage handlers at all.

Scanning for explosives, remember those big machines we (you) bought?

As for numbers - Cretney is the man sho said only a few months ago that the airport needed 34 (I think) baggage handlers.

And certainly no need for the underworked and overpaid support staff we have working there now.

Maybe this is all a big elaborate ploy from Bell to lay off all the parasites leeching money out of the airport at the moment, only to welcome Flybe back into the fold when they're all gone and replaced with minimum wage Filipinos on jobshare with Tesco.

Edited by Lxxx

With Flybe shutting 6 bases and laying off many pilots and cabin crew, one assumes they won't be needing all their Q400's. I wonder if the IOM government has discussed dry leasing a couple of the surplus aircraft from FlyBe.

We already have more than enough pilots and cabin crew on the Isle of Man to crew the Q400, so why not try and make use of them?

If we privatised the 35k a year baggage handlers, i reckon we'd safe enough money to crew two Q400's easy peasy

Page 13

http://www.flybe.com/corporate/investors/presentations/delivery-and-future-direction.pdf