Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
molly

Problem With Macbook Pro

Any mac buffs care to give some advice please.

I have a macbook pro that has an intermittent problem of not booting up, its gets as far as password and then it just dies and looks like it goes into sleep mode and thats it. bit of history, i did spill a glass of wine over it and its just had a new unibody/keyboard £306 ouch, not really been right since i got it back from the repair (not suggesting its anyones fault)

did this once and then amazingly started working again. its not now though.

cheers.

Sounds like it could be something faulty with the 'lid closed' sensor. You could crack it open and check the connection on the keyboard. Have you got an external monitor or a tv cable, should work on that while it thinks the lid is closed?

You wouldn't happen to have anything somewhat magnetic nearby would you? Even a phone in the right place can coax it to sleep due to magnets. (Jolly good fun when in a room full of macs and wearing a magnetic ring).

Slim's right with the TV/monitor idea. You may need to hook up a USB keyboard or mouse to reawaken it.

It is significant that it happens only at boot. Many issues would likely affect it intermittently in general.

Does it happen the same whether or not the power supply is connected ?

What model of Macbook Pro is it ? That might help get towards an answer.

I would agree but the intermittent nature adds something else to the problem. There could be an external factor. What it may be worth doing is reinstalling OSX to rule out software issues.

First of all I would eliminate the obvious. That is why I was asking whether there is an issue when the thing is connected to the power or whether it is only a problem when running off a battery.

Check the battery: About This Mac (click Apple logo in top left) -> More Info -> System Report -> Power

And then there is the question of whether the battery and the charging cycle is out of sync. That is why I asked which model of Macbook because IIRC there were issues with older models where the system would wrongly report a fully charged battery. So a machine would power on and then instantly die because in reality the battery had stopped charging.

Then I would look at the various system logs. I would also do what Slim suggested and try running the thing into an external display. However I think it unlikely that someone who just paid over £300 for a keyboard repair is likely to want to open the thing themselves. Since if they were into fixing things themselves I doubt they would have paid that much for a keyboard repair.

Failing the above, ride it down the stairs like a sledge and get a new one thumbsup.gif

Take it to mannage it who are the local apple authorised repair agents for warranty work and authorised out of warranty repairs.

Based up in Onchan but moving to Tromode soon. Not open Saturdays last time I checked.

Edited by trmpton

Failing the above, ride it down the stairs like a sledge and get a new one :thumbsup:

That would only solve the problem temporarily, it's an Apple remember. Throw it away & buy a proper computer.

Thanks for the replies, i took the back of and checked all the connections to the board and its booted up as normal. guess somthing was loose.

Edited by molly