You Can't Write Proper English Under Pressure

I am a bit embarrassed that I sometimes get my "there" and "their" mixed up and occasionally miss an apostrophe or add one incorrectly.

I think I understand all the rules for these sort of common grammar mistakes, but can fail to apply them if I am not taking sufficient care.

"You can't write proper English under pressure" is a site which puts this to the test.

It's quite fun - have a go!

Though it auto starts music which is annoying - especially if you are at work, so hit mute before clicking!!

I'm currently learning German and it's made me realise how bad my knowledge of some parts of English grammar is. German grammar is mental!

IMO German grammar is much simpler than English as so much English is irregular, maybe you're just finding that learning a foreign language isn't easy? Remember that English is a Germanic language anyway.

Get a German-speaking girlfriend, the cold winter nights will just pass by...

Beerfest-in-Munchen-Germany_Beer-festiva

I've got a German wife!

I know its logical, I think its mostly the inherent difficulty of learning a new language. I am improving, it won't defeat me!

Hah, I just hope she's not Bavarian as I fine that accent / dialect to be quite tricky. Here in Switzerland we refer to 'High German', that is textbook German, not the Swiss dialect which really flows much better and has very strong regional variations. It's sometimes amusing to listen to German children chatting away, verb at the end, structure 100% correct etc. Then listen to the Swiss kids getting five times as much said.

German girls are great fun.

She's Swabian, but thankfully doesn't really talk Schwäbisch. On the other hand, some of her relatives are nearly impossible to follow.

Yes, an interesting language in its own right.

Hah, I just hope she's not Bavarian as I fine that accent

Isn't that contrary to human rights legislation?

P.S. Did you write it under pressure?

Nah, I need new glasses and should drink less at lunchtime.

She's Swabian, but thankfully doesn't really talk Schwäbisch. On the other hand, some of her relatives are nearly impossible to follow.

Love the picture of your wife, Mojo. Nice work indeed.

Edited by woolley

I've got a German wife!

I know its logical, I think its mostly the inherent difficulty of learning a new language. I am improving, it won't defeat me!

Hah, I just hope she's not Bavarian as I fine that accent / dialect to be quite tricky.

Ja do geh her, du Saupreiss. There's nothing wrong with the Bavarian accent. it's melodic, it's sophisticated, it's beautiful. Und wennst wos andres sogst gibts a Watschn, host me?

Now, the Swiss accent - that's a weird one! Always sounds like you have something stuck in your throat.