Free Birds The Film. A Manx Connection

The new box office animated film Free Bird... All about the saving of Turkeys used for thanks giving meals. The time machine takes them back to the first thanks giving meal in New England and the main part by captain Standish, who in the film was portrayed as a nasty baddy :-).... Anyway Captain Miles Standish, was part of the original history on the first ships which sailed to New England back in the 1600's... he was bloody Manx! From Sulby no less.... what a guy - and remembered all these years later in an animated film!!!! Who needs Pinewood.

He was from Lancashire - a little appreciated fact is that there is an 'Isle of Man'(still reflected in a small 'Isle of Man farm') in the now drained fens just south of the Ribble about 10km SSW of Preston and that is the area mentioned in the Standish declaration that has linked him to the Manx Standishes (no doubt the two families were related)

I know who has done all the research and can but don't want to undercut their promised book - meanwhile I suggest you might like to review the various evidence eg on manxnotebook - there is unfortuneately no record of a manx Myles and the basic argument rests on Stadish's complaint that he was cheated out of some property - all of which is in in Lancashire but ends with Isle of Man which I explained can also be found as a bit of high ground (rather like bits in the curraghs) in the same area as the other property.

Edited by Frances

He was from Lancashire - a little appreciated fact is that there is an 'Isle of Man'(still reflected in a small 'Isle of Man farm') in the now drained fens just south of the Ribble about 10km SSW of Preston and that is the area mentioned in the Standish declaration that has linked him to the Manx Standishes (no doubt the two families were related)

I don`t know or care if he was from here or not but the little Isle of Man farm thing always smacked of historical tidying up to me.

Is there record of that place being called the Isle of Man at that time period or was it a later name for the area?

Another question that springs to mind is why was it called the Isle of Man (family connections?).

I know who has done all the research and can but don't want to undercut their promised book - meanwhile I suggest you might like to review the various evidence eg on manxnotebook - there is unfortuneately no record of a manx Myles and the basic argument rests on Stadish's complaint that he was cheated out of some property - all of which is in in Lancashire but ends with Isle of Man which I explained can also be found as a bit of high ground (rather like bits in the curraghs) in the same area as the other property.

Do you know for sure what their research will contain and that you can undercut it?

Is there record of a Lancashire Myles?

Who was this complaint sent to? - the British government? - it does seem strange that this wouldn`t be detailed/specified to avoid confusion with the actual Isle of Man as there were people with the Standish name there (possibly family) at the time with property.

Man in place names is not always associated with the Isle of Man (see again Manx notebook) - the place is shown on the large scale county series maps of mid 19th C - there is no Manx record for a Myles - the researcher believes they have additional info linking Myles to the Lancashire family - the Manx Standishes were come overs as associated with the Stanleys who recruited from the famnilies in their area to provide trusty army and civil officers

Man in place names is not always associated with the Isle of Man (see again Manx notebook) - the place is shown on the large scale county series maps of mid 19th C - there is no Manx record for a Myles - the researcher believes they have additional info linking Myles to the Lancashire family - the Manx Standishes were come overs as associated with the Stanleys who recruited from the famnilies in their area to provide trusty army and civil officers

Thanks Frances.

Man - no not always, but specifically ISLE OF MAN?

Is that all the evidence? - Hmmn sorry but not convinced, just because something was called something in the 1800`s doesn`t mean it was centuries earlier, it sounds like fuzzy victorian reasoning to me.

Yes indeed no Manx record, but I notice you didn`t answer if there was any Lancashire record, I don`t see why no Lancashire record trumps no Manx record.

Yes they were come overs but they were here at the time.

Also - I`m sure I remember reading somewhere (although it has been a few years) that some of the Standish property ended up in Manx Christian family hands.

- Not having a go at you by the way (love MNB), just thinking out loud.

Mann Island in Liverpool ?

Isle of .. quite common in fens and similar marshy/moss areas of Lancashire(eg look at appearance of Ellan .. on the Island) - place names are generally slow to change and think the dates re detailed mapping of Lancashire somewhat earlier than 1850.

I understand (and that is the research that they wish to handle themselves having done the hard work) that there is documentary evidence for the Lancashire origin plus the link of the Lancashire Isle of Man to the Standish family - we will however have to wait tho I keep pushing for the book to be got out

Despite its proximity to the Isle of Man ferries, Mann Island appears to have nothing actually to do with the Island. It appears to have been named after an oil-stone dealer called John Mann who died in 1784, and who was presumably an early developer of the area. Before that it was known, logically enough, as Mersey island.

Now of course it is home to Mann Island Buildings (Carbuncle Cup Finalist 2012) one of Liverpool's famous Three Grotties along with the nearby Museum of Liverpool (whose architect ended being sued and 'lowly commended' in the Carbuncle Cup 2011) and Liverpool Ferry Terminal (Carbuncle Cup Winner 2009).