Are Living Hope Church Really Suporting Child Abuse?

Skyplus

For starters, there are well over a BILLION Christians in this world. To take the practices and beliefs of one out of hundreds or thousands of Protestant denominations and to then equate that with "Christianity" as if it were a singular, monolithic and homogenous organisation is intellectually dishonest at its worst. It's no different to me taking Joseph Stalin or Mao Tsi Tung and lumping all Atheists into one organisation and demonise all Atheists because of them.

I am just interested in the beliefs here and Christianity fundamentally rests on the person of Jesus - his life and his quasi-death on the cross.

All denominations also rests their beliefs on all or much of what is written in the Bible.

Am I incorrect here?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

No, you're right. What the hell is "evil" about JESUS????

What the fuck has Judaism ever done to you? HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done to me?

Doesn't take much reading of the Old Testament to recognise that Jehovah is a first-class cunt. (And then there is the matter of these being irrational beliefs that can be considered evil in the influence they have over seemingly intelligent folk.)

What the fuck has Judaism ever done to you? HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done to me?

Doesn't take much reading of the Old Testament to recognise that Jehovah is a first-class cunt. (And then there is the matter of these being irrational beliefs that can be considered evil in the influence they have over seemingly intelligent folk.)

There's nobody called "Jehovah" in the "Old Testament". And there is no "Old Testament" in Judaism; there is the Tanakh.

Yes, yes, well aware of that. Though the God of the Jews is the God of the Old Testament for Christians.

And Bible quotes definitely lose you points. Better question, I think, is why you would think Christianity is good?

You don't think the Sermon on the Mount is good then? Jesus' teachings are egalitarian and inspire people to do good.

I see Ramsey Baptist Church has launched 'Sporty Church' aimed at 5-11 year olds - free fun & games, biscuits and juice on Saturdays at Bunscoill Rhumsaa.. They already run a pre-school there to lure them in at a young age, but as taxpayers fund school buildings I hope the church is paying top whack to use the excellent facilities there!

• Like 1

No, I don't. Some of it includes good moral teachings. But others such as adultery in the heart and marriage is sacred and binding are not good. Looking at a man's wife and lusting her is not just as bad as actually fucking her. And besides, it all comes across as very patriarchal. No thought for tomorrow and the mention of hell are possibly the worst.

Turning the other cheek to evil is irresponsible. And loving your enemies is not wise and it seems somewhat contradictory to categorise someone as the enemy yet love them all the same. Trying to reason or try and be compassionate (in a Buddhist sense) might be more sensible, but 'loving' your enemy is

Have you read the Bible? What makes you think it is egalitarian? Marriage is fundamentally a patriarchal and dominating (over women) institution. And there seem to be no sign of Jesus disapproving of slavery. In fact, the writers of the Bible seems to think he was all in support of it.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

No, I don't. Some of it includes good moral teachings. But others such as adultery in the heart and marriage is sacred and binding are not good. Looking at a man's wife and lusting her is not just as bad as actually fucking her. And besides, it all comes across as very patriarchal. No thought for tomorrow and the mention of hell are possibly the worst.

There is no mention of "hell" as in an eternal place of torment in the original Greek. That's something added by the church in their translations. Most of the early church were universalists.

Turning the other cheek to evil is irresponsible. And loving your enemies is not wise and it seems somewhat contradictory to categorise someone as the enemy yet love them all the same. Trying to reason or try and be compassionate (in a Buddhist sense) might be more sensible, but 'loving' your enemy is

I think you're taking things a bit literally.

Have you read the Bible? What makes you think it is egalitarian? Marriage is fundamentally a patriarchal and dominating (over women) institution. And there seem to be no sign of Jesus disapproving of slavery. In fact, the writers of the Bible seems to think he was all in support of it.

Yes. Try reading the prophets and forget the rest. They were egalitarian visionaries who stood up for the poor and challenged authority. Don't forget the Bible was written in the Bronze Age. It has to be judged in its historical context, as a stepping stone rather than an end unto itself.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Yes. Try reading the prophets and forget the rest. They were egalitarian visionaries who stood up for the poor and challenged authority. Don't forget the Bible was written in the Bronze Age. It has to be judged in its historical context, as a stepping stone rather than an end unto itself.

Good on them, but there have been many others in more recent times who have stood up for the poor and challenged authority - and are still doing it! The bible is, as you say, an historical document and should be confined to history. 'The garish 'Jesus Lives' and such signs outside churches should be banned under laws on misleading advertising!

There is no mention of "hell" as in an eternal place of torment in the original Greek. That's something added by the church in their translations. Most of the early church were universalists.

Maybe not eternal torment. But the mention 'hell fire' seems to set it out as more than a state of being that some apologists seems to make out.

I think you're taking things a bit literally.

Well what are we supposed to take literally and what are we not to? It seems rather crystal clear what the message is supposed to be. Either it applies to the lives of people or it doesn't. Either it is universal or is not.

Yes. Try reading the prophets and forget the rest. They were egalitarian visionaries who stood up for the poor and challenged authority.

Why forget the rest?

Don't forget the Bible was written in the Bronze Age. It has to be judged in its historical context, as a stepping stone rather than an end unto itself.

I can't forget that. Christianity is very Bronze Age. The absurdity of the beliefs demonstrate that. It very much seems like the beliefs of people who far more ignorant about the world they live in. It's just depressing that we haven't shed these silly beliefs.

Though, pretending to take it seriosly, I find it very foolish indeed to take the line of thinking that you have though and excuse the Bible (and the God) because the book is Bronze Age in origin.

If it is supposed to be serious, as if a God had provided information at that time then that would seem to demonstrate the inability of this feckless God to communicate his message properly.

Why in 'Palestine' and why then and why to only a limited number of people? Why not China and why not appearances of this God?

Pretending that this make-believe God exists, if the Bible is the only source of information and all that people have to work off to find out this God's message then its historical context is irrelevant. It's all people have to work off so the assumption is that it is all that is going to be provided. Unless the God is to be recognised as feckless, in which case people should maybe keep praying for him to get off his arse for a new book with updates.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita
  • Like 2

Isn't it interesting that most* people with faith, just happen to have the faith of their parents, and the faith of the community that they grow up in?

It's also damned convenient they happen to have the correct** faith taught to them from an early age

*As with all things internet take "most" with your own personal bias

**Correct being the faith you are taught, and all other faiths are inherently wrong...which in turn teach that your faith is wrong and theirs are right

Or maybe they are just nice and thoughtful people. Difficult for many residents on the Isle of Man these days to understand. No one condones abuse of anyone or anything, but sadly I think there are many organisations that the finger could be pointed at. And who is to blame for all the violence in the world, and who supplies the weapons to those who commit violence ? I am not a member of said Church, but they appear to do a huge amount of good in the South of the Island, and seven days a week as well, not just on Sundays.

But that good that they do comes at the cost of their influence. Anything that puts a Church and Christianity in a good light is a bad thing, as it is all too easy then for people to be suckered into the Christian beliefs system, a belief system that is evil (in the secular sense).

Unlike the brainwashing that encourages the pursuit of wealth at all costs. Much easier to follow though because it is you personally who gains. So all is well with the world