Self Defence Classes

Vikzee

You might think the Isle of Man is a safe place, and compared to some corners of the globe it is, but there seems to be an increase in the number of violent assaults, sexual assaults, armed robberies, burglaries and other violent acts recently and you can never be too careful, even here. I was sexually assaulted by a neighbour in the summer and if it wasn't for the fact that I attend a women's self defence class, I'd not have got away as unscathed as I did!

I attend the ladies only self defence class every Tuesday at Clear Mountain Martial Arts and they also do classes in Urban Krav Maga, a reality-based self defence system that uses your body's natural movement for leverage even against bigger/more aggressive opponents! The system is not size, strength or sex dependent making it the ideal self-defence method for men and women of all ages and physical abilities.

You can also book private one-to-one sessions with qualified Urban Krav Maga Instructor Scott. See his website for more details: http://www.cageddevil.com/private-self-defence-classes/

See the techniques in action on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/cageddevilcombatives/videos

It is also a great way to keep fit and de-stress!! :)

Thank you for your incredibly supportive comments j2bad! No wonder the Isle of Man is becoming unsafe with idiots like you on the streets. I personally think it is very important for people to know how to defend themselves against attack and believe me, attacks do happen on the island (read the newspaper ....or sorry are picture books your thing?). So does this mean you think it's OK for women to be sexually assaulted?? If you want to discuss this with me face to face, then I openly invite you to come down to Clear Mountain Martial Arts for ladies class next Tuesday and meet all us "martial arts obsessed knobheads"!

And Merkin... surely nobody learns self defence techniques because they believe the World is a happy rose-tinted place with cute little elves running about the place spreading joy and happiness to all they meet?? So fear DOES sell self defence classes - it's just a fact! But I have no reason to be trying to 'sell' people anything, I just personally believe it's important to have these skills. I have needed them before and I still ended up being assaulted - although thankfully I got away lightly if you consider that if I'd not had the few skills I had learnt, I may have been raped or worse!!!! Are you advocating that should have happened to me....REALLY?! Grow up.

It was not a 'spammy' advert and I think of the 6 people who have replied, you should all be ashamed of yourselves and go find something better to do with your lives than piss all over my helpful advice :P

Thank you

Thank you for your incredibly supportive comments j2bad! No wonder the Isle of Man is becoming unsafe with idiots like you on the streets. I personally think it is very important for people to know how to defend themselves against attack and believe me, attacks do happen on the island (read the newspaper ....or sorry are picture books your thing?). So does this mean you think it's OK for women to be sexually assaulted?? If you want to discuss this with me face to face, then I openly invite you to come down to Clear Mountain Martial Arts for ladies class next Tuesday and meet all us "martial arts obsessed knobheads"!

And Merkin... surely nobody learns self defence techniques because they believe the World is a happy rose-tinted place with cute little elves running about the place spreading joy and happiness to all they meet?? So fear DOES sell self defence classes - it's just a fact! But I have no reason to be trying to 'sell' people anything, I just personally believe it's important to have these skills. I have needed them before and I still ended up being assaulted - although thankfully I got away lightly if you consider that if I'd not had the few skills I had learnt, I may have been raped or worse!!!! Are you advocating that should have happened to me....REALLY?! Grow up.

It was not a 'spammy' advert and I think of the 6 people who have replied, you should all be ashamed of yourselves and go find something better to do with your lives than piss all over my helpful advice tongue.png

Thank you

Are you really saying that anyone who thinks the IOM is a safe place is responcible for it becoming less so and therefore thinks it OK for women to be sexually assaulted .

Given your aggressive attitude I would certainly give your invitation a bit of a swerve as it reads more like an invitation to a "bundle"

Your attempt to ridicule Merkin made me laugh.

I think that any form of assault is unacceptable , but to infer that anyone who disagrees with you is advocating that you should have been "raped or worse" is a tad ludicrous .

You may be of the opinion that I should be ashamed of myself, but when you point the finger you will find there are three fingers pointing back at you.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Nobody has any reason to point fingers at me and your post was much more constructive than the previous few, so I am not of the opinion that you should be ashamed of yourself any more than I should be for writing the original post. The self defence classes I attend are interesting, great for fitness, useful (albeit that I do agree the IOM is a safe place in general, but nevertheless I have required the skills I've learned, even here) and also very good for de-stressing as I said in my OP. I stand by my post and am merely annoyed that a bunch of forum-lifers jumped all over it so rudely!!
I'd like to think that I was putting them in their place a little, nothing more.

Anyway, thanks for your comments ;)

Your suggestion that I condone the attacking of people who are unable to defend themselves is preposterous.

All I'm saying is that if I wanted to market my marshal arts class I would do so not on the fear of attack or rape but rather the benefits to the customer.

Namely:

Confidence and self esteem

Self discipline and self control

Social skills and friendship

Improved concentration and focus

Fitness and physical ability

Flexibility

Strength

Respect for others and cultures

Dispense with tension and frustrations