Ship & Britannia - Bye-Bye

GD4ELI

... 'tis no surprise when they expect patrons to pay nearly four quid for a pint of chemicals dressed up as Carling.

H&B's business model seems to be drive every Manx boozer into the ground whilst they build an empire of pubs across.

Baffling.

And why would that be baffling ? It comes down to a well used obsession on this Island.....GREED

It's a shame about the ship.

Now that Fusions is closing (or closed) hopefully the remaining Pubs in Castletown will survive and prosper. Good luck to all of them.

I hear today that the Glen Helen is to close, but will open for TT and MGP. How does that work ? Just open for a couple of peak weeks and cream of all the profits from those providing a service all year round.

Does anyone know what the most number of pubs Castletown has had at any one time?

I know there has been a decline in the number of pub-goers over the past years, but I was wondering if the number of pubs has been constant. That is, a new pub opens (Fusion bar in this case), and an old one closes.

Anyway, how times change:

The George

Union

Glue Pot

The Vic

Ship

Ducks Nest/Sidings

Viking

British Legion

I am sure they were all open at the same time

Yeah, I heard about The Vic. Down Malew Street I think.

If The Ship is the first to close since the 80's then that sort of answers my question. The number of pubs has been constant since then. Now that Fusion has opened another pub has closed because there are not enough punters.

GD4, Your local looks a bit more upper class than mine.

This is my local, where I am tonight. Yup... they have wifi. Fast too.

attachicon.gifMy local.jpg

I miss the Ship and the Union. By golly, I even miss The George..

The rock 'n' roll bar in Moscow. Special offer on cocktails from Sunday to Thursday - 20 for about 25 euros. Yeah - definitely hungover!

Great bar but don't arrive sober: the music, lot's of real rock like Led Zep, is played at full volume all night.

GD4, Your local looks a bit more upper class than mine.

This is my local, where I am tonight. Yup... they have wifi. Fast too.

attachicon.gifMy local.jpg

I miss the Ship and the Union. By golly, I even miss The George..

The rock 'n' roll bar in Moscow. Special offer on cocktails from Sunday to Thursday - 20 for about 25 euros. Yeah - definitely hungover!

Great bar but don't arrive sober: the music, lot's of real rock like Led Zep, is played at full volume all night.

Do they do pints of bitter?rolleyes.gif

It's not really the fault of the brewery, the Government, the taxman or even the landlord that people don't have a local these days.

It's because people don't want one.

i want one, so i go find one. Most people don't really want it anymore. So they stay at home.

• Like 1

The problem as I see it is that people are drinking less, but pubs have not diversified. A lot of pubs on the Isle of Man are still dark, dhingy places that intimidate people who have never been to them before.

Contrast this to our open space, bright, light coffee shops: the current growth industry.

A pub that could mix the two together would survive, attracting the shoppers in the daytime and the drinkers at night. It's not rocket science: it's been happening in the UK for years now, but a lot of the old pubs on the Island still look like hard drinking dens for men only. The kind of men who still drink in them are dying out - probably of liver disease - and they've only ever replaced them with kids who just want to get drunk (and now do it at home in front of X Factor).

Nightlife on the Isle of Man really is appalling, because of this.

• Like 3

I believe they haven't found a new head brewer yet because there is no one appropriate for the position. also currant head brewer has no desire to retire yet.

Whaaaat? - I thought that beer was made from malted barley and hops and stuff, not currants.

(Maybe that is where the breweries are going wrong. ermm.gif )

The problem as I see it is that people are drinking less, but pubs have not diversified. A lot of pubs on the Isle of Man are still dark, dhingy places that intimidate people who have never been to them before.

Contrast this to our open space, bright, light coffee shops: the current growth industry.

A pub that could mix the two together would survive, attracting the shoppers in the daytime and the drinkers at night. It's not rocket science: it's been happening in the UK for years now, but a lot of the old pubs on the Island still look like hard drinking dens for men only. The kind of men who still drink in them are dying out - probably of liver disease - and they've only ever replaced them with kids who just want to get drunk (and now do it at home in front of X Factor).

Isn't that what they have tried to do with the pubs they have refurbed? The ones that people now complain aren't like pubs anymore?

I believe they haven't found a new head brewer yet because there is no one appropriate for the position. also currant head brewer has no desire to retire yet.

Whaaaat? - I thought that beer was made from malted barley and hops and stuff, not currants.

(Maybe that is where the breweries are going wrong. ermm.gif )

Thank you for raisin' that.

• Like 1

Isn't that what they have tried to do with the pubs they have refurbed? The ones that people now complain aren't like pubs anymore?

No. They may have tried, but they have failed. Vertical drinking is dead.

Lots more pubs will close, they just dont have enough punters anymore. Attitudes have changed, for example manual workers and the middle manager types no longer finish work and spend a couple of hours in the pub before going home to their family's, relationships are much more equal now, no women will stand for that kind of behaviour especially as they are likely to be working too.

No amount of fancy beers will change that.

• Like 1