Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Mission

Don't Look Down

Urban free climbers are a new breed of daredevils, young men and women who illegally climb cranes and buildings without any safety equipment, then hang from them, hundreds of metres above the ground, one slip from certain death...

Free climbing originated in Eastern Europe, but has recently spread to Britain.

James Kingston is a 23-year-old who lives with his mother near Southampton. In his spare time James scales the local 100m cranes and 200m radio towers.

Now James embarks on a journey to the spiritual home of urban free climbing, Ukraine, where he teams up with the infamous Mustang Wanted, the craziest climber of them all.

As Mustang and James explore Kiev, the pair push themselves to new extremes, climbing derelict buildings and tightrope-walking hundreds of metres above the city, before finally heading to the iconic Moscow bridge to attempt Mustang's latest death defying stunt.

Don't Look Down is fascinating, revealing and nerve-wracking.

I forgot to watch this first time around but it was on 4Seven last night so I had a look.

I genuinely got a dose of vertigo watching some of the stunts these guys pulled off, especially when they were in Ukraine. Quite how they put themselves in such a place mentally is beyond me. I'm in awe of them in some respects but I wonder just how far they will go in order to keep getting the rush it must give them?

You can watch it on 4oD here if you missed it.

The last minute or so did it for me, yeah sure, climb that thing in darkness and walk along the edge of it - why not! That, and the ring around the giant sausage!!!

Saw the thread title and immediately thought: "Oh, yes! Julie Christie at her very best!" But.... sad.png

Broaden your horizons dude, it's not all about black and white films. :)

The one I was thinking of was actually 'Don't Look Now' - and horizons don't come an awful lot broader! rolleyes.gif

(I know you were, I IMDB'd it wink.png ) not seen said film myself so cannot comment but you should give this prog a go dude as it's far better than pretty much everything else I have seen on the telly over this past month (egypt and other historical programmes aside).

*I did learn tonight that a certain CBB housemate has a double G bra size - so that might peak your interest potentially...

I wonder what the highest landmark on the island is to do something similar? Cranes on construction sites aside, would it be walking on the barriers on the platform of the Lady Isabella at Laxey? That platform is properly shakey if you have a couple of friends in a jovial mood, I can tell you (but I'd like to see them jump on the outside railings and walk along them whilst I deploy my weight on said platfrom from my highest jump in the air smile.png

Yes, I watched. Vicarious elation and fear tinged with sadness.

We had a Bulgarian friend who did that stuff. October 2012 climbed a pylon, damp conditions, arcing, fall to death; aged 24.

Yes lived life to full, but short life.

I'm not saying don't, just the film doesn't highlight the obvious downside

I watched on 4od yesterday, absolutely terrifying. What I didn't catch was how James afforded to travel to Ukraine; his mother was rightly worried, I just hope she didn't feel compelled to fund his trip to dice with death with the odds heavily stacked against him.

I guess he makes some money from posting his videos on the web. He's got his own youtube here

Yes, I watched. Vicarious elation and fear tinged with sadness.

We had a Bulgarian friend who did that stuff. October 2012 climbed a pylon, damp conditions, arcing, fall to death; aged 24.

Yes lived life to full, but short life.

I'm not saying don't, just the film doesn't highlight the obvious downside

The long way downside.

I guess he makes some money from posting his videos on the web. He's got his own youtube here

I do find these videos amazing, but I find the lack of self preservation somewhat alarming! the slightest mistake and he is dead, you don't get a second chance if he slightly trip over something 1,000 feet in the air.