Time Off For Hobbies

Pierrot Lunaire

I don't see why competing in the TT should put her above her work colleagues, likewise why should anyone nab the same week or two off every year, pretty sure I'd be pi**ed off if someone I worked with nabbed the same weeks every year as their own and stopped me doing something I wanted to do.

Here's an odd story. Should island employers automatically bow down to the TT God? Or is she moaning for the sake of it? After all, unpaid leave is one of her options. Is the Southern Swimming Pool a government concern?

Its not odd. Just another government worker confused as to why real life has to get in the way of being paid to piss about doing stuff you enjoy.

• Like 2

Well it does serve to highlight the Mickey Mouse nature of what I keep hearing is a world class and ever growing event that is so oversubscribed it's difficult to get an entry. Couldn't Paul Phillips give her a note or something? ; )) Out of interest, how many TT riders actually do that sort of thing for living? Is it most of the field? Or just a few? Do any of them? I know at least one big name who has to supplement his racing career with TV productions and a job as a mechanic. Does Valentino Rossi need to get time off from his job as a window cleaner so he can enter Moto GP meetings? I suspect not.

Well it does serve to highlight the Mickey Mouse nature of what I keep hearing is a world class and ever growing event that is so oversubscribed it's difficult to get an entry. Couldn't Paul Phillips give her a note or something? ; )) Out of interest, how many TT riders actually do that sort of thing for living? Is it most of the field? Or just a few? Do any of them? I know at least one big name who has to supplement his racing career with TV productions and a job as a mechanic. Does Valentino Rossi need to get time off from his job as a window cleaner so he can enter Moto GP meetings? I suspect not.

it could be suggested that is part of the TT's charm - that it isn't a fully professional clinical race and there are people doing it for the enjoyment alongside professional outfits?

A bit like the motorbike equivalent of the FA Cup?