Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Lxxx

14 North

Continuing the sub plot of The Abbey.

We arrived too late for Sunday dinner but was invited to have a drink at the bar. I got the round for the four of us.

4 pints of Bittburger bier at £5.75 each left a £23 hole in my wallet.

Continuing the sub plot of The Abbey.

We arrived too late for Sunday dinner but was invited to have a drink at the bar. I got the round for the four of us.

4 pints of Bittburger bier at £5.75 each left a £23 hole in my wallet.

Anyone charging over £4 for a pint should be named and shamed. In fact new title for a thread.

• Like 1

Try drinking in London "Craft Beer Pubs" you will certainly be paying more than £4.00 a pint

Verdict on 14 North, 7/10.

Admittedly we had the 5 courses for £42 Valentines set menu so this may skew normality however if Mrs Lxxx hadn't gave away her soup and then her starter to me I would have left hungry.

Soup to start was bizarrely served in a tiny Espresso cup, nice touch visually but literally two sips and it was gone. Excessively salty too, something the table next to us commented on.

Main starter of sliced duck and vegetables, again miniscule in portion and all served cold. Not sure it was the wisest presentation and choice but edible, for me.

Main of beef pie to share with mash and root veg. Nicely presented and taste excellent.

Pallet cleanser of raspberry and champagne sorbet a nice touch.

Sweet of warm apple and pear crumble with ice cream was superb. I'm not a sweet person but this was top notch.

Chocolates and truffles to finish.

Excellent service and atmosphere. Probably echo what other posters said. Not cheap, portions a little on the small side (even a slight increase in size wouldn't overface and spoil the experience) and quality in the main was good. Would go again, although wouldn't make it a regular occurence.

Had a £50 coupon.

I can pretty much sum it up by saying "They call a pizza a Flatbread."

Apart from that, pretty much agree with Lxxx above, portions aren't big, quality is nice, good for business meetings I guess (which I guess are their main customers, so fair enough)

Had lunch in the newly expanded 14 North last week, they have taken over next door, but only seem to have three more tables.

It was pretty quiet and there was only one other table occupied during our two hour visit.

The menu is pretty limited and some of our party thought there wasn't enough choice. For a starter I had the queenies which were presented individually on shells, I think there were about ten in total and it didn't take long to eat them. Three of our party asked for the bread with garlic butter and they got a basket each with about half a loaf in it, way too much, one basket would have done for the three of them.

For the mainI had the lamb fillet on mash, which was excellent. Others had the prawn salad which was good and the beefburger, I can never understand why you would eat burger (even in a posh bap) with a knife and fork, while nice it was messy.

We all had deserts, which 14 North excels at.

Total bill was £189.00 for six of us, two glasses of wine and bottled water.

It was a good meal but they need to bin the burger and add a few more specials to supplement the standard menu.

• Like 2