Good Estate Agents

ellanvannin2010

So let me get this right ...

You've now turned all your frustrations toward the vendors?

Those very same people who've become so disillusioned with the entire Manx Estate Agency business, where they can't readily differentiate between the perceived merits of any agent as they all appear to be offering the same shoddy service.

Therefore they blanket cover two or three in the hope one may eventually step up to the plate. You make it sound like we should pity the estate agents if some healthy competition exists?

You're beginning to sound like you're in the game ...

NDP.

The agents sit back and wait for the phone to ring because the vendor has appointed 3 agents so why bother putting anything more than a casual approach when they only have a 1 in 3 chance of earning a fee. It is the vendors fuck up for spreading it out so thin. If you appoint sole agency you receive a much better service.

Why should agents run them selves ragged with only a 33% chance of earning a fee?

NDP.

The agents sit back and wait for the phone to ring because the vendor has appointed 3 agents so why bother putting anything more than a casual approach when they only have a 1 in 3 chance of earning a fee. It is the vendors fuck up for spreading it out so thin. If you appoint sole agency you receive a much better service.

Why should agents run them selves ragged with only a 33% chance of earning a fee?

Erm......because they have fuck all to do, business is slow and their jobs depend on selling houses?

Exactly.

And when we put ours on the market in a few months, it wouldn't enter my mind to use an agent. I'm surprised, with the internet and its information and networking faciilties at everyone's disposal, how they still exist to be honest.

If you want to see how much agents care, just get a friend to ask to view your house with an agent to see how they perform.

Edited by Addie
  • Like 1

I'm not and would never be involved in estate agency. But I am commercially minded and see it from their point of view.

Let me provide a couple of analogies which you may be able to relate to:

Would it be reasonable to order 3 takeaways and only pay for the one that arrived the quickest? (if this was the norm people would cut corners to make sure their food was quickest, not the best)

Would it be fair to appoint 3 architects to design your new house and just pay the fees of the one who completed their designs first? (if this was the done thing the architects would draw the plans up as quickly and cheaply as possible without the same attention to detail)

It is obvious what I am getting at here and as we have already established, all the agents have the same people looking at their sites so why not give one agent a fair chance for being paid for the work and receive a better more personal service?

If you still struggle with this as a concept (honest work for fair pay) perhaps you could let us know what industry do you work in? I'm sure I could come up with something you may be able to relate to.

• Like 1

Addie, I like your way of thinking doing it yourself but you have no real access to the buying public.

How would you connect with the people who don't look for houses on manx net of facebook (i.e. almost everyone)?

I see it from the Takeaway's or Architect's perspective.

I'd ensure my business was different. I'd deliver a good quality product or service in a prompt, courteous, effective & efficient way.

I'm not convinced you're as commercially minded as you think.

I'm not and would never be involved in estate agency. But I am commercially minded and see it from their point of view.

Let me provide a couple of analogies which you may be able to relate to:

Would it be reasonable to order 3 takeaways and only pay for the one that arrived the quickest? (if this was the norm people would cut corners to make sure their food was quickest, not the best)

Would it be fair to appoint 3 architects to design your new house and just pay the fees of the one who completed their designs first? (if this was the done thing the architects would draw the plans up as quickly and cheaply as possible without the same attention to detail)

It is obvious what I am getting at here and as we have already established, all the agents have the same people looking at their sites so why not give one agent a fair chance for being paid for the work and receive a better more personal service?

If you still struggle with this as a concept (honest work for fair pay) perhaps you could let us know what industry do you work in? I'm sure I could come up with something you may be able to relate to.

Also I would talk to the various EA's in case they have someone on their books who is looking for specific property and is a cash buyer.

Good point. When we were looking we asked every EA if there are any properties out of our price range that were in a bit of a desperate situation to sell. Surprising what you get told if you ask the right questions. Of course you need to ask the organ grinders not the monkeys to get that info.

Good point. When we were looking we asked every EA if there are any properties out of our price range that were in a bit of a desperate situation to sell. Surprising what you get told if you ask the right questions. Of course you need to ask the organ grinders not the monkeys to get that info.

I should be off to Cornwall on Thursday of next week, I have 3 or 4 places on my list where the owners want to get sold quick, other places I'll just pile on a bit of pressure.

Interesting how the EAs can describe a house as needing some modernization when it's perfectly OK.

I've completed on our purchase last month through Manx Move. I found them to be very helpful when viewing, Ian especially as he had to do some impromptu gardening in his suit to clear a path for us to view a field.

Cowley Groves in Ramsey were also helpful in finding us some properties and showing us around.

Addie, I like your way of thinking doing it yourself but you have no real access to the buying public.

How would you connect with the people who don't look for houses on manx net of facebook (i.e. almost everyone)?

We've sold a few houses this way, the first some years ago. Create a really good website with a good name and lots of photos and information, advertise the site in the local papers, manx.net, manxads, facebook and push it on google etc. Put a good board outside with your easily remembered website address (village name or street name etc) that people can remermber if they're driving by. If you have enough photos and information on the site, timewasters don't bother as they can have a nosy online anyway.

Edited by Addie

I'm off shopping for a house in Cornwall next week, seeing companies like the Express Estate Agency http://www.zoopla.co.uk/find-agents/branch/express-estate-agency-manchester-15566/ who don't show you round, instead they handle everything else and the owner shows you round.

Mind you the IOM's probably got far to many EAs at the moment anyway.