Buy Local - unless you're IOMG

Having set up our coffee shop 9 months ago with the intention of 'shopping local' as much as possible, it was with great sadness last year that we changed to using UK milk. This was as a result of being given a couple of days notice that our cost per pint direct from the creamery was to be increased by (IIRC) 12p, and that this was non-negotiable.

Added to this was the inconvenience of being supplied in gallon containers (not particularly user friendly) as the four pint size would be even more expensive. And having the milk delivered either too early or too late.

By contrast our wholesaler supplies fresh UK milk at a very competitive price in the containers we prefer and at a time that suits our business. We would love to buy ONLY Manx produce, but in this instance it simply isn't possible.

Bullshit...did you actually do any research regarding buying manx milk? There is a farm in Port Erin which thankfully still produce their own milk and deliver to business as well as customers. The farm is Cooil's, probably the best milk you will taste on the island none of that cr@p produced by IOM creameries. So if you want to buy local all it costs is a phone call, but I reckon the real reason is that you clear £2.50 per cup of coffee now instead of £2.40 per cup before.
Damn, I never thought to phone every farm on the island to find one independent of the creamery. And one in Port Erin would be really handy for Douglas. You are deluded and know nothing of business.

And how many business's have you failed in, even with the addition of MR to advertise your wares on. You really can't take criticism can you, it's fine when your dishing it out, but woe betide anyone getting back at you

In the fairness of hearing all views, why can't MR have guest presenters from all opinions on talk- ins. I and I am sure many others are sick of your pro smoking ( or is that anti now YOU have given it up ) and your constant bleating on behalf of boy-racers and their ilk. I have finally mastered the art of turning the station off when your ' freelance ' programmers take to the air, but have heard enough in the past to know very well where you come from. A little tip for the future, try giving the contributors a chance to speak before passing your vast experience on every subject. I also know what your response will be to this, but like the radio I will turn it off. Happy Christmas., and will you be looking for local milk if the boats can't get in in the future ?

• Like 2
  • Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh dear God, this thread has turned into the most mental example of small minded manxness I have seen on here and that is saying something,   FFS breed outside your villages people..................

Parchedpeas: thing is I DO want to buy Manx milk, but three important factors (as explained) make this bad business sense. I'd be amazed if any of my critics, were they in the same position, would do

A chip cut from a manx potato or not; a chip of any nationality, on your shoulder, is never something to be proud of..................Stu has been very honest about why he is not using local milk at p

Posted Images

Having set up our coffee shop 9 months ago with the intention of 'shopping local' as much as possible, it was with great sadness last year that we changed to using UK milk. This was as a result of being given a couple of days notice that our cost per pint direct from the creamery was to be increased by (IIRC) 12p, and that this was non-negotiable.

Added to this was the inconvenience of being supplied in gallon containers (not particularly user friendly) as the four pint size would be even more expensive. And having the milk delivered either too early or too late.

By contrast our wholesaler supplies fresh UK milk at a very competitive price in the containers we prefer and at a time that suits our business. We would love to buy ONLY Manx produce, but in this instance it simply isn't possible.

Thanks for that information, it helps to confirm that we will not be visiting your premises. Do your customers know that you do not use local milk ( do they care ) and do you care about the quality of the product you use. Are the denizens of Athol Street so strapped for case that they can't afford local top class milk. Do you sorce your other products from off - Island.? If so are your customers aware of it ?

He's a class act. Advertising he's too mean to use local milk and then insulting his customers in subsequent posts. I wouldn't even bother using a local eatery or food shop that's too frigging tight to buy local perishables like milk or bread. Especially when they are a coffee shop knocking out coffee at few quid a cup on an enormous profit margin with a partner who is a spokesperson for the local chamber of commerce which advocates shopping local!

Great PR thir Stu. Keep up with your media training.

Edited by oldmanxfella
  • Like 3

That's a thought, manxie44, but there are more questions too.

Do UK supermarkets pay all the tax that they should to the IOM Treasury?

Does our government make sure that they do?

Do UK supermarkets only pay minimum wages instead of living wages?

Do we subsidise supermarket profits by subsiding their payroll layout?

Do UK supermarkets support the island by selling enough Manx goods?

Do they care that their loss leader bread could put Manx many jobs on the line?

Does the government?

There are even more but I'm too busy at the moment.

Your the man, but sadly I think any MHKs or MLCs probably laugh at the comments on these sites, which shows how arrogant and self opinionated most of them are. I think there may be a huge feeling of resentment building from those who get hammered almost daily by the ' we are all in it together ' spokesmen and those who have a vested interest in supporting them , - by the large amount of people on this Island who are not rich, but don't like being treated as second class citizens by our COM

• Like 1

That's a thought, manxie44, but there are more questions too.

Do UK supermarkets pay all the tax that they should to the IOM Treasury?

Does our government make sure that they do?

Do UK supermarkets only pay minimum wages instead of living wages?

Do we subsidise supermarket profits by subsiding their payroll layout?

Do UK supermarkets support the island by selling enough Manx goods?

Do they care that their loss leader bread could put Manx many jobs on the line?

Does the government?

There are even more but I'm too busy at the moment.

Your the man, but sadly I think any MHKs or MLCs probably laugh at the comments on these sites, which shows how arrogant and self opinionated most of them are. I think there may be a huge feeling of resentment building from those who get hammered almost daily by the ' we are all in it together ' spokesmen and those who have a vested interest in supporting them , - by the large amount of people on this Island who are not rich, but don't like being treated as second class citizens by our COM

There should be a minimum price set for these type of goods for the sake of jobs on the Island and the health of its people.

And what happens to those people who need the staples but can't afford your minimum price in order to keep their family fed?

This would be no different to the toilet tax, an unfair charge to keep an unsustainable situation going without regard for the ability of the public to pay.

The fact is that we don't have enough throughput to keep some of these businesses alive and so they are forced to charge higher prices!

I often have this conversation with regard to the motor trade, too many people trying to make a living at it!

The government however, should be ashamed of themselves. They are hastening redundancies and the unemployment benefits which they have to pay out All to save £13,000 odd!

If that's not 'silo thinking' what is?

• Like 2

Or go to the Butlers Tray and buy a coffee machine. It will pay for itself in a few months...

Funnily enough, I did, I bought a milk frother to make myself Chai Lattes with because all the coffee shops insist on adding some god awful syrup - yuck! It was £80 but it's the bomb, I did ban myself from coffee outings until such a time as I deemed it had paid for itself (2 months, roughly)

Oh dear God, this thread has turned into the most mental example of small minded manxness I have seen on here and that is saying something,

FFS breed outside your villages people................................

Who the hell rattled your cage? We hear the exact same "buy local" rhetoric in the UK so don't bother trying to badmouth Manx people for doing the same.

• Like 1

Oh dear God, this thread has turned into the most mental example of small minded manxness I have seen on here and that is saying something,

Go Cozmo go.....are you that fella that was on Come Dine with me?

We should all take notice, for if anyone qualifies as spokesman for Manxforums it is you judging by the VAST amount of time you spend on it. And stop knocking the Manx, you , nasty man. Oh I get so mad

• Like 4