Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Shake me up Judy

Favourite scene in all of cinema ?

Thinking about this it doesn't have to be your favourite film, just a fantastic scene. I'm a sucker for emotion so the final scene from Cinema Paradiso does it for me; even though I think the film is just a little bit too sentimental to be considered one of the all-time greats. I can't watch that scene though without feeling intensely moved, and the music is one of the best soundtracks ever written.

I've... seen things you little people wouldn't believe... [laughs] Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion bright as magnesium.... I rode on the back of decks of a blinker and watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [coughs] tears... in... rain. Time... to die...

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 3

Yes you're right Donald. A fantastic scene; great writing, great acting, and an awesome film. I like the way too that this scene totally confounds the viewer's expectations. A beautiful entry in the Greatest Scenes of all time.

• Like 1

Too many to choose!

Definitely the one Donald posted. I would add to it the scene immediately after it.

Vivien Leigh's "I'll never be hungry again!" scene in Gone With the Wind.

Are we meant to pick our fav scene that we actually saw at the cinema?

If so, mine was way back in 1983. Return of the jedi, final battle scene as they flew into the interior of the half built death star.

Yeah you can watch it on blu ray on your big tv screen, but to see it on the huge screen was something else.

No CGI, all done with models and blue screen back grounds

• Like 1

The girl in red scene in Schindler's List, with the children's song Oyfn Pripetshik being sung in the background.

Later on in the film, he sees her dead body being wheeled away to be dumped into a pile of burning bodies.

Sums up for me why we should always question authority.

Mine has to be the last dance scene in Dirty Dancing.......when she jumps I get such a lump in my throat!! Sad eh?

The childhood scenes in Once Upon a Time in America. They really capture the spirit of the period. Such fine acting, brilliant recreation of the environment, and the music from Ennio Morricone just adds a depth of raw emotion to it. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGfhbu7kvDA

I also like the final duel in For a Few Dollars More:

I also like the bridge scene in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. It really captures the futility and absurdity of the American Civil War:

This Gerard Depardieu scene in 1492: Conquest of Paradise is another favourite.

I was also very impressed with the moon landing on the film documentary In the Shadow of the Moon. It goes into the whole story of NASA's mission to the moon and sets it up with real footage of people watching it all over the world and then it's really heartwarming when you see them land and hear Neil Armstrong's words. It's all real footage. Hearing the astronauts talk about their appreciation for the world when they returned is also really touching. Good soundtrack too. I can't find any relevant clips but the whole documentary is available online here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ditEyvRbM

Edited by Civil Servant
  • Like 1

One of my favourite scenes that sticks in the mind is the Pacino / De Niro face to face in the diner in Heat.

Fantastic acting, real tension.

http://vimeo.com/4056910

the opening sequence of saving private ryan - I have never been in a cinema so quiet after that faded to black

• Like 2

Equally, the first few minutes of 'Gladiator'

In themselves making the best war film ever made

Some great offerings that are very much in my list of greats.

A couple of left-field suggestions: - the Hamlet speech from Jesus of Montreal - in French and in the wrong setting, but still complementing the film and showing the glory of Shakespeare's Language:

The transplant scene from the same film - a wonderful slant on the resurrection, please carry the card - you can give life to others if you die:

Finally Quiz Show. I can't find the actual scene, but this is the build up to it with Ralf Feinnes' character being unable to admit to his father that he is a cheat - for me the father's reaction when he finally does admit what he has done has stuck in my memory - the power a father has when let down by a son!

Edited by Chinahand

Charlie Chaplin's speech in The Great Dictator.

Orson Welles' final scene -- playing JP Morgan -- in The Secret of Nikola Tesla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E46Rlw4GuFs (link is to the full film; fast forward it to 1 hour, 27 minutes, 50 seconds for the scene I refer to)

The "play it, Sam" scene in Casablanca.

I love the final scenes of The Shawshank Redemption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWJyI9OybWk

Ever seen the 1985 Soviet film Idi i Smotri (English: "Come and See")? It's the most brutal, vivid film I've ever seen about the Second World War. It's subtitled but you really don't need to read the subtitles to watch it.

A haunting scene from the end where the kid completely loses his mind:

Edited by Thomas Jefferson