Hello from Macau

Amadeus

1/10? Okay I'll take a bet with those odds... £20 for a win.

Errrr aren't 1 to 10 shite odds??? I've never been to the races but I think you mean 10\1.

Yeah but you didn't write 10/1. It was a joke, you know gambling thread... gamblers...addicted... gamble on anything... even shite odds... never mind.

I don't think that the OP should have a PR approach that states " .... online gambling is fair and you can make money if you're smart enough".

Anyone with any common sense knows that is not true.

Anyone low on common sense and desperate for a win may believe it.

I used to work as a sports trader in the past, the guys who manage the odds, see your bets come through on the screen and ultimately try and make a profit from it. I can tell you as a fact that the number of professional punters has been growing over the years, to large parts thanks to betfair, and that it is entirely possible to do it as a job. You know your sports and have a reasonable understanding of maths and you can do this. It's similar to many other trading activities. It does carry risks as well, of course, and isn't for everyone, but it is possible and being done. Just look at betfair itself - it's all trading bots doing the action these days. I doubt there are many humans placing actual bets on that site.

As far as the negative impacts are concerned, it is my impression in general that regulation is becoming more and more the norm the world over, especially online. It used to be the wild online west ten or so years ago, but that keeps on changing. The industry is becoming more regulated by the day, something that benefits the players and weeds out the black sheep. As a player you can protect yourself by only playing with reputable companies that are registered in good jurisdictions. IOM is a good jurisdiction and very strict on responsible gaming.

When it comes to betting shops, though, I do think that there is a need for stricter regulations in the UK. Especially FOBTs, which the current IOM head of egaming used to sell, desperately need to be reigned in. In their current form they are neither entertainment nor legitimate opportunity to make money, and I deeply dislike them. As someone with a sports betting background, who was lucky enough to learn the craft the old school way from some great names in the industry, for me a betting shop isn't a betting shop if the main profit is made by FOBTs. In the same way do I think fruit machines in pubs should be banned or severely restricted in stakes. There's always space to make things better, safer and more responsible, but as far as this activity is concerned, it has never been better regulated. That also applies to advertising, and regulation is again only going one way there.

Silly Billy

You said you can make money gambling if your smart enough.

You are in the game.

You show you know how it is done.

Why sit in a third country high rise when you could be rich somewhere nice?

Or are you comparable to the Financial Advisors living in bedsits.

Consider these rhetorical questions; you tend to go on a bit.

No offence intended.

Ah! Well, I've chosen the balanced approach of having a stable career with medium stress levels, instead of a faster paced, more stressful and higher risk trading career. I've had stress long enough. A healthy work / life balance is more important to me now.

I don't have to get up at all sorts of hours anymore and can instead concentrate on other parts of the industry. Think of it as some people playing the market, and some people creating the tools and platforms for that to happen in the first place. In a way, it's one step up from trading and no less rewarding. Just maybe a little more elite, as a lot of people seek their fortunes on betfair and other sites, but relatively few do what I do and actually work in creating them. I thoroughly enjoy my work, have some lovely colleagues and go to the office with a smile every day.

As for third world, well, this country is a bit behind but is rising fast. The people here are amazing and the standard of living I have here is something only the ultra rich would have in a place like the IOM or London. Penthouse high above the city, amenities that include multiple pools, a high tech gym, a restaurant and A-List night club with sky bar, and even a private cinema, and whenever I fancy a change of scenery simply I ask my driver to bring me to the beach. I've chosen a corporate career instead of flying solo. I don't want a Lamborghini and a private jet. A black limo and flying business class is enough for me. I know, today's generation...just no ambitions anymore... But then: work to live, not live to work. Life's there to be enjoyed you know. smile.png

1/10? Okay I'll take a bet with those odds... £20 for a win.

Errrr aren't 1 to 10 shite odds??? I've never been to the races but I think you mean 10\1.

Yeah but you didn't write 10/1. It was a joke, you know gambling thread... gamblers...addicted... gamble on anything... even shite odds... never mind.

Apologies. Dear me but I must be getting boring. Next thing I'll be bitching about really minor grammar points....

(Thought I'd lead with the chin there to give the dullards an opportunity)

• Like 1