Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
thebees

A fourth - bridge? minor? major? perfect? augmented? who cares?

I'm trying to mesmerise scales, I thought the best way to do this would be to write them out, which is mostly all well and good. Blues scales, a fourth, what kind of fourth? Hmph. Grrrr. Grrr Grrr Grrr. Can someone make this easy?

And...does the minor pentatonic start at the root or on the 6th? /cry.

do you have forum tourettes?

Lol, it's complicated :) I wouldn't mind doing music as a job sometime, you know, make a mini career out of it, maybe be in a quartet that does weddings an that. I was talking to the mini bee about this the other day, I spent years 'doing books' and looking back I was stuck on a hamster wheel going round and round and round, thats not living, that is existing. To do music as a bit of a job you have to be really good at it and to excel at something you need to know all about it, yeah, I can jam a bit but if I knew more I'd be better, no one gets good at things by chance, ye have to put some effort in :)

Learning scales and keys and things is really for the sake of convenience, it is handy stuff to know. At the moment I have to think, I would like to get to the stage where it just flows without thinking.

flowers.gif No offence meant at all bees. I surely do play a bit and jam occasionally and have played before audiences but really, I only play for myself nowadays.
I know a bit about music but not a lot. Fortunately I prefer Mississippi Blues, Blue Grass and similar, a lot of which is just passed down without being written formally. Lots of minors and flats and other nameless combinations.
In other words, I'm just lazy really so good luck, sincerely, with the formality of music.flowers.gif

Do you play by ear Bees, or are you a reader?

I'm mainly an ear player, on what I would call linear instruments - piano and guitar - so it'd be a bit different on a clarinet. Scales for me is therefore all about intervals which sound right. Given any position on the keyboard/fretboard, I can move up a minor third or whatever my ear tells me is the right interval. Obviously after playing for years your fingers end up falling into the right place, but when I strip it down to basics playing by ear is all about hearing the intervals and translating them onto the instrument.

If you play just from music then I think that mechanical practice is the only way. Play all your scales over and over and they'll become automatic, so that when you're reading a piece in any particular key you'll fall onto the correct notes if you're in the correct scale.

Jazz is probably a bit of both. I'm not much of a jazzist but from what I understand you have to know which scales go well over which chords, and then play random notes from those scales at the right time, to roughly fit the music. You'll just have to learn all that I think, so you know you can play a C mixolydian scale over a F major - G minor transition (actually I made that last bit up, but it's probably close enough)

Perhaps after the forum party we should have a forum jam session - no capos allowed.

Jesus, a whole day and the best you've got is:

does it matter? just enjoy your music..

Of course it matters.

I'm trying to mesmerise scales

Good thinking. Lull them into a hypnotic but false sense of security and then BAM.... ; )

Blues scales, a fourth, what kind of fourth?

In the minor pentatonic which is the basic blues scale a perfect fourth. You can't have a major or minor fourth. There are no such things you see. You could of course add an augmented fourth* to act as a passing note between perfect fourth and fifth, and thereby creating a new blues scale with an extra note. Or a minor hexatonic if you like.... ; ))

And...does the minor pentatonic start at the root or on the 6th? /cry.

Uuuh, pentatonic doesn't have a sixth degree. Just the five, hence penta. You can start it wherever you like, as long as the notes are correct, but you would usually start it at the root for the purpose of demonstrating or learning the scale. But I think I know what you mean. Major and relative minor pentatonics share the same notes so, eg in the key of C you'd have C D E G A for C major pentatonic and A C D E G for the relative minor pentatonic. But obviously you wouldn't start C Minor pentatonic on A, not least of all because the scale doesn't have an A anyway..... ; ))

*or if you prefer, a diminished fifth.

• Like 1

Status Quo never had conversations like this

You might be wrong there. Despite their 3 chord reputation, Francis Rossi is a surprisingly talented guitarist.

Yes, PL, yes yes yes, and that is exactly what I was talking about.....if I'd have thought about it a bit more before giving up and 'asking the forum' I might have seen that. Thanks.

• Like 1

What instrument? If it's guitar just do what the rest of us lazy ones do. Play a pentatonic for everything. Pattern is the same in any scale, in E it's:

E----------------------------------------12-15

B -------------------------------12-15--------

G -----------------------12-14----------------
D ---------------12-14------------------------
A -------12-14--------------------------------
E 12-15---------------------------------------

Same shape anywhere else. e.g. 5-8 5-7 5-7 5-7 5-8 5-8

A guitar? Pleeeeeeeease. I play the clarinet, some times I play it really well, others not so well and some days it sounds like someone did something really bad to a cat, or a frog - whichever, its an unholy bad noise :)

I wish I hadn't had such contempt for Mr Hartill or that woman with the pokey face at school, they did have some quite interesting stuff to share. School music teachers, what are they all about? They've got a whole load of dead good stuff they could tell you but oh no, they play you crappy music that you'll hate for ever more instead of sharing the good stuff. I absolutely HATE Rodeo by Aaron Copeland, every f'in Friday, double lesson and we had to listen to that the whole time.

Roxanne, you are more than welcome to come fry your mind with me at my 'Theory club' - the mini bee has passed me all her old "Making theory fun" books, I might even do some tests in theory one day. How can you not read music? I mostly have to read bass clef with a finger on the note to move it to where I can read it but its all quite (I cannot even believe I am writing this...) fun.

Wrighty, I play a bit by ear and can read music. I have issues with counting "one and a a a a a a a a a a two and a a a a a a a" stupid little notes but one day it will all become perfectly clear :) I suppose I want to be better than I am and think learning things is the way to do it. I'm not sure the MF party is the best place for an MF band practice but one day, when I'm good enough to play in front of people other than my family, I'm in the band!

• Like 1