Manx firm buys Stobart group

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plucky Mark Dixon in his truck Pheobe Grace only has ten minutes to make the ferry, will it be disaster for the Isle of Man or can he make the ferry at Heysham?     Jeebus!

yes

Will you still be saying that when your tax bill goes up 50%?   What's not right are the high levels of tax in the UK. The average person in the UK does not work for themselves from Jan 1st to May 3

Will they register the fleet here so we can gain the VED - although I suspect bring them over on the packet for an inspection every year would increase the debt even further.

They should buy the Steam Packet as well - Stobart Sail (they already have air and rail services).

Be ace to see Stobart trucks coming over all the time.

All this company stuff makes my skin crawl, it might be legal but it's not right.

Will you still be saying that when your tax bill goes up 50%?

What's not right are the high levels of tax in the UK. The average person in the UK does not work for themselves from Jan 1st to May 30th, that period is spent working entirely for the government for free. Clicky (Tax Freedom Day).

British Governments notoriously waste money...that's the bit that is surely not right? The real moral arguments should involve fighting waste and inefficiency, that way thousands of loophole lawyers and accountants would be unemployed, and thousands more companies would stay generating wealth in Britain, and tax would reduce significantly. Instead, business has to pay to support all too many hangers on.

The government are good at getting us to argue about the morals of tax avoidance, equating it now to tax evasion, but they are better at making sure the majority of people miss the point that the government piss much taxpayers money away.

If we do not make significant changes to government bloat here and start raising taxes instead, companies will soon leave here, as there are plenty of other places far sunnier than the island offering lower tax regimes.

• Like 2

I believe that as a small child, some of my first spoken words were "Eddie Stobart Lorry!"

My mother thought I was some form of child prodigy, until realising that my grandmother had always pointed them out to me and I'd learnt the name that way.

My little brothers was Norbert Dentressangle. He has always been a pretentious twat.

I think that you will find that the Capital has been put up by a Manx Based venture capital fund that has taken a controlling interest with the Stobart family able to wrest more shares when they achieve certain targets......if this is the case, or even if not the complete story, whether as a branch of an Isle of Man company or a UK company, the business in the UK will still be liable for UK Corporation tax and, indeed, if the business is in fact a UK company, it would suffer Advance Corporation tax on dividends paid to the Manx Company which would be then liable for Manx tax on the amount received here where the venture capital company is Manx owned.

If the venture capital company is not Manx owned then there would be no Manx Taxation but the owners may well suffer tax in the Country where they actually do live!