Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
trmpton

Best Business Guide

Does anyone actually read this and use it as a way to select services?

How does it work? The listings I assume are based on recommendations which could be from anyone, and the company profiles and detail are based on how much the recommended business pays the BBG people?

I use it for a £5 M&S voucher, which in previous years I have exchanged for a bottle of mint mojito.

Like the phone book I only take the wrapper of so it don't smell when I chuck it on the fire.

Not worth the paper it's printed on. Outright bollocks. In some areas, the same old charlatans/cowboys are recommended year after year.

Not worth the paper it's printed on. Outright bollocks. In some areas, the same old charlatans/cowboys are recommended year after year.

Yeah, having to pay for a self praised pat on the back, same outfits year after year.

I was asked if I wanted to advertise in this about 5 years ago, a starting of sum of £260.00+vat for a small advert if I remember right.

One cowboy outfit advertising in it even told me the recommendation they had in it on the year in question was fictitious (the name and address from the Douglas head road didn't even exist!) w00t.gif

I got ripped by a firm of advocates. You could have blown me down with a feather when I saw ther happy smiling faces beaming from the page.

They didn't make it in the following year, although that was nothing to do with me.

Anyway, I called it the Bent Business Guide since then.

Cheaper to promote your business online

Cheaper to run a TV advert than take one of their full page or double page adverts!

seems to be a lot thinner now, and no name of printer ohmy.pngohmy.png

It doesn't look any thinner than the 3 previous editions I have sat on the shelf at work but tbh I didn't check the number of pages - I guess I could do that on Monday to see if you're right.

I can't comment on this guide. But how they usually work is this - you get approached and asked to be "considered" for a "special" business guide. Strangely although apparently one of your custmoers has "recommended" you, you find that its remarkably easy to just write a big cheque and get included in the publication on the back of this customer "recommendation". Most of your competitors have been similarly "recommended" too. You then get all your mates to vote for you in some spurious unaudited poll, then you get the same people to write a load of fake recommendations saying how ace you are pretending to be your customers.

Surprisingly 85% of people who read the subsequent guide mistakenly believe that its a genuine business publication full of businesses genuinely selected by their customers, and where genuine customers have been moved enough to write in raptures about how ace your company is. Rather than a rather shabby series of paid for adverts, and reviews written by the family and friends of said businesses.

• Like 1

I recommend shops that I think are great, like Ken Quines in Port Erin, and then hope they don't fall for the spiel when they get phoned up.

I had a stand up debate with the sales guy - I offered to pay for the page in instalments based on the number of customers that came directly from their 'Gaurantee' that the book works !

Obviously he wouldn't play but guaranteed that if I took out a full page advert I would cover my costs but wouldn't back up his guarantee

Needless to say I have a single title and phone number

It doesn't look any thinner than the 3 previous editions I have sat on the shelf at work but tbh I didn't check the number of pages - I guess I could do that on Monday to see if you're right.

Can save you the trouble. It is considerably, reassuringly thinner. I don't like this concept at all. Have been in it for a few years but will not pay them for an advert despite their best efforts. I consider it recommendation by inducement because they dangle a voucher or a bottle of wine to the public to entice them to send in endorsements and that does not strike me as the most objective way to solicit information. It's more likely to lead to people with little better to do to think "Who can I put down so I can get the gift?"

I took particular exception to the publicity one year which announced "See which businesses are serving their customers well..........." which implied that if you weren't in their little directory you were not serving your customers well. Together with some other like minded people, I complained about this to the Office of Fair Trading (yes, them) and at least that line was never repeated. Flawed concept in my opinion.