Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

new mobile chippy

a mobile chippy had its first night operating near us tonight, but for a 'fast food' outlet it would have been quicker to go to Kirk Michael, or Castletown, they may complain about the first night always being manic but 'fast food' is wasn't, waiting in a queue of 1hr 20mins is not going to be repeated in a hurry :-(

#fastfoodfail

Why would anyone wait in a queue for chips longer than 10 minutes? You should have just left.

• Like 1

Arf 80 minute queue for chips. You could have gone to Tesco, got some fish and spuds and done your own in that time.

Lovely grub from that van when it's in Onchan though. Does take a while (not 80 minutes though, closer to 10) but worth the wait

Same when it started appearing in Onchan, but once the initial excitement wore off the waiting times are far more reasonable.

What could possibly lead to a 90 min queue for a portion of chips? Did they need to dig the spuds and catch the fish?

What could possibly lead to a 90 min queue for a portion of chips? Did they need to dig the spuds and catch the fish?

they made the point that 'everything is cooked fresh' but by the size of the queue you would think that they'd stick a bunch in the fryer to cope with the demand, it's as if they didn't want to have any left over !.

The said it's always busy the first night and expected it to die down after that, he was right, a lot fewer people will try it again next week having been caught out like that.

Having decided on F&C for dinner we obviously hadn't got anything else out of the freezer, but had we known we would have had time to defrost something else (or grow it from seed !)

Have to admit that the fish was good but the chips were a bit scrappy with lots of small bits :-(

I'll stick to frozen fish & oven chips as usual :lol:

I'll stick to frozen fish & oven chips as usual

God, it must have been bad then!

Point one. I object to them rocking in places like Onchan when they have their own chippy and other food places paying rates etc all year.

Point two. Cooked fresh to order is all well and good, but a girly stupid idea when you can see there are thirty people in the queue and you are putting fish in one or two at a time.

The wait is stupid, and I am surprised so many people (my wife included) will bother. They could still have stuff fresh but employ some common sense at busy times and move the customers through much more quickly.

Point one. I object to them rocking in places like Onchan when they have their own chippy and other food places paying rates etc all year.

Maybe if the places in Onchan were actually any good they wouldn't need to rock up there.