Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Albert Tatlock

The Enforcer

From IOMOnline: ‘Enforcer’ Robertshaw says Manx government must reinvent itself

Will this 'enforcer' turn out to be Clint Eastwood or more Douglas EastDeadWood?

"I know what you're thinking, Minister. You're thinking "did I spend six million or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a cheque book, probably the most stupidly used government issued cheque book in the world and will blow your reserves clean away, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

• Like 6

They don't need to reinvent themselves, they just need to move to another host of taxpayers to suck dry. Maybe stage a coup on some remote Pacific island and rip them off for awhile. Hopefully one where the French test their nuclear bombs.

I imagine he'll be more like Clint Buzzwords or Dave Talksbollocks.

Lots to say but won't actually achieve anything of note.

• Like 2

Perhaps after he's played The Enforcer, Clint Robertshaw could take on another Eastwood classic, 'Any Which Way You Can'. The role of Clyde shouldn't be difficult to fill; there's plenty of chumps from central casting in Tynwald to choose from, with no acting required.

It allmost seems if Robertshaw is trying to position himself as being the real person in charge, with the Chief Minister almost only having a PR figurehead role.

It allmost seems if Robertshaw is trying to position himself as being the real person in charge, with the Chief Minister almost only having a PR figurehead role.

I sort of mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, and I agree. If ever there was a man lining himself up for greatness it's Robertshaw.

Take note that everything he is involved with affects the less well off. Never a touch on the rich. His fellow searcher for greatness Cannon seems to be trying to derail the Toilet Tax, which is one of the rare new costs to the Islands people that lands on the rich as well as the poor. Hence the outrage from those that can easily afford it. Look out Eddie and Al, another ' Double Act ' may be on the horizon.

I sort of mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, and I agree. If ever there was a man lining himself up for greatness it's Robertshaw.

Take note that everything he is involved with affects the less well off. Never a touch on the rich. His fellow searcher for greatness Cannon seems to be trying to derail the Toilet Tax, which is one of the rare new costs to the Islands people that lands on the rich as well as the poor. Hence the outrage from those that can easily afford it. Look out Eddie and Al, another ' Double Act ' may be on the horizon.

Cannon and Balls up?

Baddeal and Skinnter?

Chuckle brothers? ...'to me...to me...to me...to me'

Edited by Albert Tatlock

You seem to be suggesting the Alf Cannan is wrong to be revisiting the present method of charging for the sewerage charge,and that he is doing it to favour the wealthy.

Why do you think he is wrong to be revisiting this extremely unfair method of charging?

It seems to me the toilet tax isn't one that hits the wealthy. What's £50 if you earn a million per year? The impact is far greater for the people on £20k.

In fact they've chosen this over raising income tax, tying it to rateable value, or a per toilet tax. All of which will impact the rich.

I suppose the question to ask is whose policy is Mr Robertshaw going to enforce?

Certainly not my MHK's because they are not a minister in the cabinet.

Kind of ridiculous to give themselves a pay rise for which the cost will obviously dwarf the revenue received from the toilet tax. I can think of no better example of a "silo-" inspired policy, Mr Robertshaw.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson
  • Like 1

They've missed a trick here in not exploring the potential in bio-gas generation, as a by-product from the massive investment in IRIS. Had the toilet tax been sold to the public as an energy tax on methane production, it might have been more easily digestible. Has Phil Gawne considered this plentiful hydrocarbon energy source before he goes off on his horse tilting at windmills ?

No, that's how the CM is positioning things

He is in semi-retirement

Clint driftwood more like.

• Like 1

Robertshaw is right on one thing at least This Government Needs To Reinvent Itself, it is long overdue but FA will happen whilst this form of Governance by one mans patronage is in operation.

Leg Co should and must also be seriously amended and reduced and be subject to election by the electorate, and end the present system of sending mates to the upper chamber to top up their already over generous pensions/

For us mere mortals in the Island are rapidly being priced of our own Island.

Sadly unlike Ding Dong and his chums we cannot afford to retire to a villa in the sun.

All the advantages of living here are disappearing rapidly and yet still the "Gravy Train" that is the Manx Government trundles along unabated.

• Like 2