Cycle lane & road Islands

BJ, I'm sure we would all like to think that we look in both our mirrors before turning left, but we just do not. The only time we did that each time we turned left was during a driving test.

I drive alot and see about half a dozen drivers each day, driving with their mirrors folded in and they are oblivious to it.

These are the drivers TBT is talking about and I agree with him that someone is going to get hurt. The whole layout is wrong, from the Brown Bobby right through to the QB. Anybody who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.

I just dread to think what TT week will be like going through there. ( and no, there is no alternative route for some of us)

• Like 1
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't the real issue that the Peel Road cycle lanes (love them or hate them) represent only a tiny proportion of most people's journey into Douglas - and then only if they arrive from QB.   Amadeu

I think this is the point I was trying to make. I'm all for cycle lanes too, if they make it safer for cyclists to keep fit but this unholy crock of shit does not seem to do that. I'm trying to get my

I see the Marx Brothers have now finalised the road layout and markings on Peel Road today. Is that pathetic strip at the side of the road (that leads to nowhere and seems to disappear in places) mean

Posted Images

I would love to see the cost vs benefit justification for the installation and ongoing maintenance of BRIGHT GREEN cycle lanes!

I travel quite a bit and have never seen anything like it. Looks rank now , serves no purpose, costs money, and will look totally crap once they wear and the road has been dug up a few times.

You may travel 'a bit' but maybe not enough.

http://goo.gl/Pp9VPH

Think about it, you overtake a cyclist then slow and turn left and flatten a cyclist. No not going to happen.

But what if you're stationary waiting to turn left at the lights from town up to Pully?

The lights change and you turn left as a cyclist comes straight through from town to the QB on your nearside. Remember it's downhill and the cyclist won't want to slow and lose momentum. A decent cyclist could easily go through there at 30+ mph.

If you're not looking in your n/s mirror there's an accident waiting to happen.

It needs the drivers to be observant and for the cyclists to slow down and expect the unexpected.

At night it's going to be a serious problem.

TBT.

That is what we all do before turning, especially as we will now be more aware of cyclists as there is a bloody great big, brightly painted Cycle Lane to the left of us,

Boris, not everyone will check their n/s mirror before moving off from stationary.

And a fast moving bicycle in the dark won't be easy to spot with a wet/misted side window and wet/misted n/s mirror.

Sure as eggs are eggs; a cyclist will collide with the n/s and/or rear of a non-indicating, left turning motorist at the PullyBridge lights.

I would advocate a satellite A&E Dept. situated at the IoM Newspaper building. Nothing fancy, a portacabin should suffice with a internet link to the Motor Insurers Database to ensure they'll get paid for their services.

TBT.

...we had better all lock our doors and not chance going out as we are all going to die horribly mangled in a car accident...

Oh contraire, what with the A&E Lite being located a mere stones throw from the accident blackspot?

Hence the prospect of "going to die horribly mangled" may be considered a tad melodramatic. Unless the cyclist slides underneath an HGV trailer destined for the power station/Middle River Industrial Estate. In which case they could reopen the small mortuary in the former Corpy Yard alongside Tesco's car park.

And for those suffering associated soft tissue damage to complement a fracture, there's but the briefest of sprints up to Dave Downie MBE at the hyperbaric chamber. Incidentally, a nice chap is Dave and one well worthy of his recognition.

But really, having to cross a live cycle lane to turn left isn't the best of road layouts is it? The cyclist will legitimately progress up the n/s of standing traffic to take their place at the head of the queue; if you can't predict an outcome from that..!

TBT.

Cycle lanes are an excellent idea but, if they're not done right and they make life more, instead of less, dangerous for cyclists [as the ones on Peel Road] then I'd say the moral high ground belongs to those who'd rather see it done properly, wouldn't you?

I think this is the point I was trying to make. I'm all for cycle lanes too, if they make it safer for cyclists to keep fit but this unholy crock of shit does not seem to do that. I'm trying to get my kids out more and encourage them to be more active. But would I let them cycle to school in that cycle lane - would I fuck.

If your going to make the pavements ridiculously wide anyway the place for the cycle lane is on the bloody pavement not dicing with cars and HGVs trying to negotiate one of the Islands busiest roads that used to be two lanes and is now one lane because a bunch of fucking idiots want to paint it up like a christmas tree and make part of it (except junctions, crossings, bus stops, and other random bits) designated for cycling.

• Like 6

It always amuses me when there is a discussion of some aspect of motoring or road use and someone announces that some new scheme is bound to work or some new law is not necessary. Because, they proclaim, all that is really needed is for everybody to use the roads sensibly and with due consideration for others at all times and everything will be OK.

But if that were possible (never mind probable), there would be no need for any such schemes or traffic markings, lights, laws, regulations etc at all. Or indeed cars as we'd all make our way from A to B flapping our angelic wings.

The reality is that some people drive like idiots most of the time and most people drive like idiots some of the time. Any competent system has to be designed to cope with this and not rely on the hope that everyone will know what they are doing and behave well at all times.

As for Peel Road the cyclists who want to use it will no doubt continue to do as they do at the moment and ride on the under-used 'pavements' which are in any case wider than most single lane cycle paths.

Edited to add - Amazingly they seemed to have worked out how to do this without them being painted green.

Edited by Roger Mexico

I think this is the point I was trying to make. I'm all for cycle lanes too, if they make it safer for cyclists to keep fit but this unholy crock of shit does not seem to do that. I'm trying to get my kids out more and encourage them to be more active. But would I let them cycle to school in that cycle lane - would I fuck.

If your going to make the pavements ridiculously wide anyway the place for the cycle lane is on the bloody pavement not dicing with cars and HGVs trying to negotiate one of the Islands busiest roads that used to be two lanes and is now one lane because a bunch of fucking idiots want to paint it up like a christmas tree and make part of it (except junctions, crossings, bus stops, and other random bits) designated for cycling.

Just wait til the DOI see this - a roundabout cycle lane.

mt4js.jpg

• Like 3

As for Peel Road the cyclists who want to use it will no doubt continue to do as they do at the moment and ride on the under-used 'pavements' which are in any case wider than most single lane cycle paths.

Edited to add - Amazingly they seemed to have worked out how to do this without them being painted green.

I'm not sure but, in general terms, I think I'd approve of cyclists being painted green.

• Like 4

Just driven through it, turning left over Pully bridge. Looks a bit like Slinky's picture - if there had been any cyclists about, I'm sure I'd have got them. The green bits probably mean something but what? I do hope it improves/gets much clearer when it is finished. The problem is not the average, careful cyclist but the lycra-clad Cav wannabees who will probably assume that, because they have a designated cycle lane, they automatically have the right to hurtle along at top speed, giving way to nothing.

First impressions - it's pretty frightening.

• Like 4

Just wait til the DOI see this - a roundabout cycle lane.

mt4js.jpg

One of the above cycleways at the QB roundabout/s; that really would be sensational. Personally I'd favour a Hi-Viz reflective painted surface for that avant garde feel.

Smart move to consider relocating the ambulance depot to the QB. By the way, whatever happened to that suggestion (was a snip at £4 million if I recall correctly)?

'Joined up' thinking at its very best...

TBT.

• Like 1

The green lane is a safe haven for cyclists, however, where this lane ends they are fair game and you can 'get them' or cut them up when turning left. HGVs and Buses have always had this right but now car drivers have too.

The green safe zone will not apply to old ladies or colour blind people who remain free to drive wherever they like.

Should they put a Flyover for the cycle lane at the junction? It would only take ten months or so and would reduce the risk of damage to our cars.

The green lane is a safe haven for cyclists, however, where this lane ends they are fair game and you can 'get them' or cut them up when turning left. HGVs and Buses have always had this right but now car drivers have too.

The green safe zone will not apply to old ladies or colour blind people who remain free to drive wherever they like.

Should they put a Flyover for the cycle lane at the junction? It would only take ten months or so and would reduce the risk of damage to our cars.

Its a road, theres no such thing as a `safe haven`.