Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
oldmanxfella

Cycle lane & road Islands

hc_rule_178_do_not_unnecessarily_encroac

@local If, in real life, you weren't able to understand the meaning of Rule 178 as you have shown in your post, then it would infer a clear need to either retake your theory test or stop driving.

However, since you're only misunderstanding it to avoid being "wrong on the internet", I would not dream of drawing such an inference.

You're no lawyer are you? Slim copied the text straight out of Rule 178 above. Nowhere does it say you MUST not encroach on the marked area at all (eg, that cyclists have priority at all times). It says "You MUST stop at the first white line if the lights are amber or red", and "You SHOULD avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times". However clearly if you overshoot the white line on red "You MUST stop at the second line" even if at that stage you are clearly encroaching on the cycle lane.

Tha example above reflects advisory policy not what you MUST do by law under the Highway Code. If the lights were on amber and you didn't stop in time that car can quite happily be sat up the ass of Mr and Mrs Lycra in the cycle lane. The Highway Code says so.

Edited by localyokel

So what? There's a bike in front of you at the lights, try not to hit it. Same as for a car. Quoting the Highway Code at the police after you've run one over isn't going to get you to your destination any faster, even accounting for adjusting toe clips.

• Like 2

As you can see from your cut and paste job the code clearly differentiates between a MUST (ie, its mandatory you must do it) and a SHOULD (ie, its advisory or recommended practice).

I don't think you're interpreting the highway code correctly. The 'should' in the paragraph above is in lower case, it's not an advisory, it's just a bit of english.

The 'MUST' says you have to be behind the cyclist. The implied 'MUST' is that you're not allowed to run them over and MUST give them room when you pass. Those two things combined give the cyclist priority.

I am slightly shocked at the drawings of cyclists waiting at red lights. Although it is not universal my observation of cyclists would indicate that the majority view red lights as either give way indications or as an item to be avoided by simply riding past on the pavement before rejoining the road.

I have to admot that I do not think that the new layout is aprticularly well thought out but in the end whether it works or not will be down to all road users and there are as many dicks riding bikes as there are driving cars.

Edited by Lost Login

I am slightly shocked at the drawings of cyclists waiting at red lights. Although it is not universal my observation of cyclists would indicate that the majority view red lights as either give way indications or as an item to be avoided by simply riding past on the pavement before rejoining the road.

Rubbish.

The diagram actually gives a good example as to why this doesn't happen. Please tell me how those cyclists, wanting to go straight on, would do so along a pavement, that doesn't exist, and confronted by perpendicular traffic.

@LL And they always go through every red light whilst riding at least five abreast!!!

As I said there are a proportion of all road users who are tits that includes motorists, cyclists and motor cyclists. I think cyclists may stand out purely because as the slower means of transport you notice them more if they hold you up. In addition as has been posted on several occasions because they are the most vulnerable of the above road users they have taken to riding in a manner which they equate to providing themselves with more protections. While I might understand the basis for doing this it does then look slightly hypocritical when they suggest that if other road users respected the highway code and acted with courtesy there would be no issues. As I said all road users have an element within them who give that group a bad name, unfortunatly it is just part of human nature.

Rubbish.

The diagram actually gives a good example as to why this doesn't happen. Please tell me how those cyclists, wanting to go straight on, would do so along a pavement, that doesn't exist, and confronted by perpendicular traffic.

They cannot in that instance and that is why I carefully stated options. I have nothing against cyclists, just bad or selfish road users of whatever form. The standard practice at the Pulrose lights that I have observed when travelling into Douglas is for cyclists either to ignore the lights or just detour around using the pavements. I do not care what form of transport you are on when on a road, horse, bicycle, motor bike, car, bus, lorry, etc. just follow the rules of the road and show consideration to others.

• Like 2

But it is Pretty ....

And there's the problem with cycle lanes. Roads are to be shared, not segregated. It's not your road. Pedestrians use the cycle lane on the prom, are they cunts too?

Skelly said on Manx radio today ( every penny of your road tax is spent on the upkeep of the roads ) is he wrong too?

Yes. They're not the same pounds. VED receipts are around 12 million. The highways devision costs more than that. Peel road alone cost what, £4 million? Every penny and more would be more accurate.

Beside the point though, I'm sure the amount taken in VED is allocated to their spending budget even if it is supported by other revenue, but paying a tax on something doesn't mean you own it. Same way smokers aren't more entitled to use hospitals because they pay tax that goes to health.

I couldn`t give a fuck about the lane on the prom, never used it, only you cunt cyclists have a problem with it.

Sunday morning driving out of Douglas I saw one adult cyclist. Unfortunately they were cycling on the pavement.

Saturday evening after dark a cyclist with no lights went straight through the red light coming from Pulrose, caused car in front of me to break to avoid. Cyclist then rather than carrying along Peel Road towards QB dived across in front of me to go towards the petrol station and if I had not braked sharply I would have hit him. All this presumably observed by the police officer driving the van leaving the Petrol Station who did absolutely squat all.

Just for comparison, how many violatons by motor vehicle drivers did you see over the same journey?

I did see not one car driving without lights in the car, driving on the pavement or going through a red light. I am not having a go at cyclists, rather the fact that if we are to have cylcle lanes cyclists now need to adapt there bhaviour and use. Overtime some cyclists seem to have come to the conclusion that the rules of the road are optional, presumably partly due to safety and partly is is quicker being able to jump onto the pavement to avoid red lights, queues etc. If we are to have cycle lanes and vehicle drivers are to respect then in my opinion we need to see them used properly. If they are not and drivers see a fair proption of cyclists retaining there old bad habits then the chances of drivers respecting the new lanes are limited

• Like 3