Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Lxxx

Decent gardener

Totally at my wits end now with gardeners on this rock. Can anyone recommend someone who takes even a modicum of pride in their work and who doesn't work as if they are doing you a favour by expending their time?

I must have gone through about a dozen now without finding a decent one. Ones that can't be arsed mowing in straight lines, ones that do half a job and get miffed when you ask them to finish, ones that turn up when they feel like it.....

Anyone??

You sound a right pain in the arse, and they probably are doing you a favour putting up with you when there is plenty of work around.

Its a seasonal outdoors job that is dependent on weather in an island with a highly variable climate so I doubt keeping a set time each week is at all possible, so perhaps you need to chill out and go with the flow.

If you are so finicky about having lines on your lawn and having it mown every friday at 5.45pm then mow it yourself you lazy git in which case you can take as much pride as you want in something completely pointless like having straight lines on a piece of grass.

Edited by j2bad

You sound like a gardener that's done work for Lxxx in the past.

• Like 3

I did gardening part time a few years ago aiming to go self employed full time and have to say it was a nightmare, to do anything properly takes a lot of time and most customers wanted everything done within 30mins. Had one lady who didn't care what I did as long as it looked 'tidy', I kept the time down as requested and spent an hour mowing, strimming, pruning and trimming and she pointed out one tree which in her opinion needed lopping, so of course I then spent a further 10 mins lopping the tree, time I wasn't paid for, but of course I got a cup of tea and biscuits for my trouble.

I jacked it in, completely thankless job, I worked out by the time I spent getting gear setup, doing all the work, packing all the gear away, accounting for fuel costs, talking to the customer or having a cup of tea (its seen as rude to turn down cups of tea from the elder generation!) I was on less than minimum wage.

I just can't stand this stupid obsession with having straight lines in grass, just how petty and small minded is that, if you are too lazy to do it yourself you can't expect to be too fussy unless you are prepared to pay extra for it.

Edited by j2bad

I used to do it myself but now I work away a lot and don't have the time. I don't think it's too much to ask to pay a gardener to actually garden. If I just wanted my lawn cutting in as quick a time as possible I'd hire a labourer at minimum wage. Most of these so called gardeners aren't gardeners at all, just some odd job man with a mower who turns up and charges you £30/hour for the privilege.

You're damn right it is. But it's also indicative of customer service in general on the rock, with it being a captive market. Yes I know there's a boat in the morning but it's true.

Or a robot masseuse to help you chill the fuck out and stop whining about the lines on your lawn not being straight. I bet you're out there with a set square checking the angles. I would be well pleased to have a garden.

• Like 1

I would be well pleased to have a garden.

How about you offer to cut his lawn for him then, just make sure you get the lines nice and straight.

• Like 1

I just can't stand this stupid obsession with having straight lines in grass, just how petty and small minded is that, if you are too lazy to do it yourself you can't expect to be too fussy unless you are prepared to pay extra for it.

Have to say in Lxxx's defence a nice lawn with bowling green straight lines does look fantastic, but if he isn't their a lot of the time than it does seem a little pointless, but a paying customer will (or should) get what they want not what you think is right.

There's a gardener looking for work and accommodation if you read the papers. He may not be available all year round though.