Food n drink on steam packet

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just buy one of the Steam Racket's £43 bacon baps you cheapskate.

The dining room staff and kitchen staff were all either back up radio operators, or certificated lifeboatmen, or the like; and with crew living on board, they primarily cooked for/served the crew. Ser

For the prices they charge, there is no reason why the management shouldn't go overboard with the food.

I believe that if you get a costa coffee and are holding it in your hand you can't go on but they don't search your bags for foil wrapped goodies or slap the sandwich out of your hand when you are eating onboard.

Always take my own packed lunch and a flask, never had a problem and the staff don't seem to mind collecting my sandwich wrappers from the table, if I haven't got round to throwing them in the bin.

I refuse to pay their prices for below average food.

Strange thread. The OP asks a question that they apparently already know the answer to. I always took my own butties on the boat, as long as you aren't too blatant I really don't think they are that bothered.

Blatant? you mean like chewing your buttie in front of the captain?

Manx Broth, Poached Greenland Halibut with chips and peas and apple pie with ice cream, in the first class dining saloon. Menu didn't change for over 25 years that I can remember, and there was never anyone else in there, quite and comfortable. Even better on the pre car ferries, the Dining Saloon was down deep in the bows, silver service huge salvers and domes for carvery joints

It's macro-economic forces that mean you now pay £5 for 2 heavily processed sausages on a cheap spongy bun. The cost of labour has risen dramatically, as has the cost of victuals. You can no longer hire competent cooks for a pittance to prepare reasonably priced good quality produce. You can just about afford to pay two latvian immigrants minimum wage to reheat cheap, mass-produced pap. Gone are the days of poached Greenland halibut, and apple pie made from scratch.