Laxey Primary

Mattrblue

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experience of Laxey Primary school?

We are currently considering moving to the island, and the house that we have seen up for rent, falls within the Laxey catchment.

Our children will be 5 & 7 when we move over.

Edited by Mattrblue

I have two kids about the same age at Laxey school at the moment. In my opinion it is a very good school with a good ethos and motivated teachers. They encourage parents to take an interest in their children's education and I have found them to be very approachable.The pupils are, as Lonan3 says, well mannered and friendly. If you do decide to move to Laxey, don't worry about the standard of schooling.

My son left Laxey last year to move up to high school, and I have reservations over his schooling there.

He very rarely got any homework until his final year. I did not see any spellings, any multiplication tables etc, which I believe are fundamental. Whilst we actively worked with him at home, I'm not aware of any other junior schools where this happens. From teachers' comments at the senior school, Laxey pupils are 'generally' regarded as having poor spellings. As mentioned above the class sizes are particularly large.

I questioned teachers many times on these issues and they seem to believe that this 'softer,' let the pupils decide their own path etc is the best route for the kids. I feel at this early age its more important than ever to set the goalposts and prepare them for their life at school. It was certainly a huge shock to my son when he started getting homework at high school!

I would add that the kids are all very well mannered and courteous, and the school do a lot of activities away from site etc.

• Like 1

No, no.. dont be sorry. I appreciate your honesty.

By the way, are there any other schools around that area that we should consider?

Theres one about 10 mins up the road, very small classes I think, but know nothing about it, called Dhoon School

My son left Laxey last year to move up to high school, and I have reservations over his schooling there.

He very rarely got any homework until his final year. I did not see any spellings, any multiplication tables etc, which I believe are fundamental. Whilst we actively worked with him at home, I'm not aware of any other junior schools where this happens. From teachers' comments at the senior school, Laxey pupils are 'generally' regarded as having poor spellings. As mentioned above the class sizes are particularly large.

I questioned teachers many times on these issues and they seem to believe that this 'softer,' let the pupils decide their own path etc is the best route for the kids. I feel at this early age its more important than ever to set the goalposts and prepare them for their life at school. It was certainly a huge shock to my son when he started getting homework at high school!

I would add that the kids are all very well mannered and courteous, and the school do a lot of activities away from site etc.

Maybe they've got it right about the homework.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1015954/Homework-primary-school-children-complete-waste-time-study-shows.html

Dhoon School is about 5 miles to the north, Onchan School is about 8 miles to the south. Both are also very good schools. As far as I know if you live in the Laxey catchment area, all things being equal, your children are required to go to Laxey Primary. There is also the Buchan fee paying private school. Logistically difficult to get to from Laxey, but I know a few parents who manage and they have very good things to say about it.

Getting the best education for your children is rightly a priority, so I would spare some time to contact the Headteacher Mrs Aksoy and ask her about their philosophy and talk about any reservations. Contact them by mail: enquiries@laxey.sch.im or phone: 01624 861373.

We are fortunate on the island to have great primary schools across the board. Good luck!

Maybe they've got it right about the homework.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1015954/Homework-primary-school-children-complete-waste-time-study-shows.html

Indeed, very interesting...

Emphasis on tables and spelling is much reduced from when I were a lad, but it seems to be across the board, rather than specific to the school in question. The tables thing is a bugbear of mine. Its only with the benefit of about 20 years hindsight that I realised that being able to sing-song tables is a great help in aiding the speed of further calculations.

In answer to a question the OP may have posted in another thread, my impression is that the schools are used to dealing with new arrivals on a regular basis and do their bit to help them integrate.

It's a great place to bring up kids, as long as you and they don't get sucked into the "there's nothing to do" whinge - do a search on the forum and you'll see what I mean, and plenty of examples of why there is plenty to do.