Crime in the Isle of Man drops by 60% since 2000

Funny how we ordinary citizens are blamed when crime goes up, but when it goes down it's attributed to the Police. Did it occur to them that we're law-abiding, and would be even more law-abiding if they'd stop making up new idiotic laws to criminalise our young people (e.g. cannabis).

I need to relax a bit and take a deep breath - apparently boring people to death is not an actual crime against humanity.

Neither is multiple identity theft or being or impersonating an asshole on an internet forum. Thank god for those good old quirks of the Manx system.

• Like 1

I can see why there is less crime, just think back to the 90s and the massive night club scene that used to be here. There were clubs open late all over the island and if you wanted to could be "on the town" every evening of the week. Every time those places kicked out their punters you would see some trouble. There was also trouble in most at some point of the evening, drink, winmmin, and hot headed young men equals one thing - FIGHT!

As far as I can tell these days the youth now seem to spend their time meeting women on the interwebs and a chat-up line now seems to involve sending pictures of you privates, who said romance is dead? The end of mass night club patronage must have had quite a large effect on crime? Thoughts?

As with all figures and statistics the small sample size means that a single year, or part of a year, may not be representative and that you definitely cannot draw any conclusions. A long term trend for 13 years is significant.

We are at end of May. A double digit increase on last years figures actually only means 88 extra crimes in 5 months. half a crime a day or 17 a month.

I'm not suggesting we be complacent, but that its meaningless. The police face cut backs and bingo the crime rate goes up "by double digits". I'm not saying they are connected, in fact I am sure they aren't, statistically or economically or politically. Some might draw those types of conclusion, and the linkage could be demonstrated in many ways.

• Like 1

It's a demonstrable fact that crime increases as the economy turns down in general. These things run in cycles and I would imagine the IoM isn't immune to that fact.

I never understand why people try and make something out of the crime stats being released, some people even seem to rejoice when there is crime going on as if to say well I was right. All I know is I want my children to grow up in a safe place and the Isle of Man is safe. Whatever the reasons behind it I hope it continues

So there is an announcement that crime figures are down. Followed by an announcement that they are up, up, up, as if this was inevitable.

Over the past decade or so I have reported a number of crimes, some serious. The police did little to prosecute those responsible. So presumably at least some of these incidents were not included in the crime figures. All well and good maybe, but those who carried out the crimes (including assault, and a burglary) thought they got away with it and carried on their nasty little ways.

Someone somewhere is making decisions not to proceed with (or even register) matters that should have been followed through. I think it is abut time the police just did their job rather than pander to the statistics.

• Like 1

It's a demonstrable fact that crime increases as the economy turns down in general. These things run in cycles and I would imagine the IoM isn't immune to that fact.

and interestingly in this last recession since 2007/8 across the IOM, UK, Ireland and the rest of the EU, that hasn't held true. That breaks the cycle patterns from the last 100 years in the UK. The IOM has never followed that pattern however. As I have said before we get very sharp increases over a very short period, 3 to 5 years followed by a tail off over 10-15 years. That has been the IOM cyclical pattern for 70 plus years. If our cycle pattern is followed then we are due an increase, but I cant see any triggers or patterns linking the cycle here with economic activity, law change (including birching), immigration, the name of the Chief Constable, the wearing of white helmets in Summer, nothing.

I thought the Isle of Man has been untouched by the recession and has had 30 years of uninterrupted growth? In which case this period we are entering now, with a £200m VAT grab, it's biggest industry (finance) declining, benefits to the poorest in society being cut across the board and budget cuts in policing might all contribute in some way to the next spike we are experiencing.

Lxxx, but 5 months figures consisting of 88 extra crimes which are not identified, may not be the start of a spike and may not end up giving a year on year increase any way by 31 December and then we have to wait another two or three years before we see if its a trend

• Like 1

This is just but one head of department arguing the odds with his minister. Big cuts are a coming, expect far more statistics from all kinds of government spokespeople. Heritage have been quiet for a few months, they'll probably be the next statistics merchants in the news.

Bell and Teare have now run out of wriggle room. There's simply no cash anymore. They had their chance to sort things thoughtfully and carefully for the 8 years since the scope of government report, and chose to do nothing along with that arsehole Tony Brown.

It's time to pay the piper.

• Like 2