Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
spikydu

City Wing Emergency Landing - Belfast

http://www.u.tv/News/Emergency-landing-at-city-airport/6e27275a-7855-4bde-b3f6-a4a159e4a42b

The plane had just taken off from the airport. (© UTV)

The Citywing flight to the Isle of Man had departed the airport just after midday when a technical issue forced it to return.

The twin-engine, Let 410 aircraft was carrying five passengers and two crew.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters were scrambled to the scene, as is routine procedure, however, they were stood down on route to the site.

A spokesman for operator Citywing added: "The flight experienced a potential technical issue and in line with safety procedures, the plane was returned to the airport quickly and safely."

The airline said the plane was inspected and apologised for any inconvenience caused.

Both the passengers and the crew have since been able to complete their planned journey to the Isle of Man.

© UTV News

Little orange warning light, he is broken.

Edited by sarahc

the penguins would soon have fixed that! ( madagascar )

but seriously, nice to see them land something without fatalities.

The Let aircraft is operated by Vanair for Citywing, and if your "seriously" comment was regarding the accident by Manx 2, that was operated by another aircraft type from another airline. What has that to do with the precautionary return to Belfast that may have had a technical problem? I do appreciate that Citywing is 'basically' a renamed Manx2 but the aircrafts involved are different types from different aircraft operators.

Remember in aviation, most stuff has at least one redundancy, several in the large jets. Unless the failure is catastrophic, the plane is designed to be able to quite happily make it to the nearest airport for an emergency landing.

We don't know the nature of the problem, so can't speculate as to how dangerous it was, but obviously, anything not working on the machine stopping you from accelerating towards terra firma at 9.81ms² can be considered bad.

Has just reaffirmed my thoughts that I will never fly with this ticketing agency.

Has just reaffirmed my thoughts that I will never fly with this ticketing agency.

Why? Because just like any normal airline, an aircraft can develop a problem on take off. The aircraft returned to the airport.

It's a complete non - event. This happens all the time in aviation. (FlyBe smoke in the cabin, EasyJet hit by lightning etc etc)
As for saying Van Air are a nondescript charter mob - they've been flying on the Isle of Man for 8 years, and are some of the nicest and most professional people you'll meet at the airport.

• Like 4

The Let aircraft is operated by Vanair for Citywing, and if your "seriously" comment was regarding the accident by Manx 2, that was operated by another aircraft type from another airline. What has that to do with the precautionary return to Belfast that may have had a technical problem? I do appreciate that Citywing is 'basically' a renamed Manx2 but the aircrafts involved are different types from different aircraft operators.

I ask myself why would one use a Czech operator or a Spanish operator to fly from the UK to IOM? I can't help feeling there's a common factor.

I agree with all those who have pointed out that this sort of incident happens all the time, to operators large and small, charter and scheduled, low fare and full service. Have a quick look here http://avherald.com.

Perhaps CityWing/VanAir have done themselves no favours by not being explicit about what the tech issue was, as speculation and rumour takes over to fill the vacuum.

There's a lot I don't like about the Manx2/CityWing overall operation, based mainly on the accident at Cork and the Irish AAIU's final report. But this incident doesn't affect my opinion.

Edited by guzzi

...and are some of the nicest and most professional people you'll meet at the airport.

It's when they leave the airport that matters :)

Joking aside, agree, minor alerts happen all the time. I used to fly regularly in a Jetstream all over the UK for meetings etc, sat right behind the pilots. You'd shit yourself if the cockpit door was left open on a commerical flight if you didn't like beeps, flashing lights and occasional alerts - and see that pilots, in a way, are just like most confident drivers in the fast lane of a motorway.