The World Cup

The Sick Moon

Ref the Sick Moon England and France squad comparison. Is that because the Premier league has higher wages, therefore English players have little incentive to play elsewhere apart from somewhere like Real Madrid or Barcelona who can offer similar or better wages?

More pressure is looming against Roy Hodgson but I don't see why?

If there's anyone here that thought England would win the World Cup, then let him/her speak now.

Thought not as most people are a bit wiser than what the papers sensationalise these days and it would have been nice to see England get through to the next stage but they're a newish squad (although professionals), but have yet to gel properly.

I haven't the slightest problem with Hodgson carrying on and it's sort of refreshing to see fresh faces come in for the old guard but give them time.

As I have stated before England don't have the quality I expected them to lose to Uruguay and Italy and beat Costa Rica before the tournament started, they worked hard and the team that was picked was pretty much the team most people would have picked as for Rooney who do you drop him for? Rooney is vastly over rated in my opinion but he is still a lot better than the other options, England really have no striking options anymore years back they had Fowler, Shearer, Sheringham, Andy Cole, Ian Wright guys playing and scoring regularly in the top flight now what English strikers are there?

As for this world cup it has been great hope it continues teams seem to be attacking instead of sitting back hoping to nick one.

Actually Stuart Pearce made a good point Ashley Cole should have gone instead of Luke Shaw and Shaw should have played in the Toulon under 20 tournament he would have played 5 games and gained experience rather than go to Brazil and sit on his arse for a week. Cole should have been ahead of Baines scores great goals but as a defender can't really defend

That's fair enough if their going to get games but the only experience Shaw has learned is not to send text messages to gold diggers. The German team have players who have played lots of games and won various youth tournaments for some reason in Britain we scoff at the under 21's

England really have no striking options anymore years back they had Fowler, Shearer, Sheringham, Andy Cole, Ian Wright guys playing and scoring regularly in the top flight

And still got unceremoniously dumped out of the major competitions!

There have been a few voices claiming that Cole - and even Terry - should have been in the squad but, although they both useful players in the past, neither of them would have been up to the current task. In many cases it has been loyalty to long-serving players that has prevented younger talent from emerging and all credit to Hodgson for challenging that philosophy to some degree.

I have to say, though, that I think it was a mistake to include Lambert once Jay Rodriguez was injured - their partnership was the best thing about them - and a shame that Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn't appear to have been fit enough to play?

I also think Frank Lampard was a poor choice - even though he'll be leading England in what will probably be his final match for them tomorrow.

All in all the attack has not been too bad - it's in defence that Engalnd have been lacking. The left back position is a worry as we've discussed before. Luke Shaw, who will probably play tomorrow, is the big hope. So far, Cahill is the only defender who has had a decent competition - but the likes of Caulker, Jones, Lowton (Wow! a Villa player???), Ryan Bertrand and the often-overlooked Danny Rose are all clamouring for a chance.