The World Cup

The Sick Moon

The way the info is conveyed is as much a part of the technology. Had the decision been the other way (i.e. a goal was signalled in error) the attackers would have stopped to celebrate with the ball in play.

How is that any different than if the referee had to confer with the linesman amongst a load of protesting players from both sides?

I'm not convinced about the goal line technology. The whole of the ball over the whole of the line is what is required, and yes the technology's animation showed just that. But the actual pictures seemed to contradict it.

As I said earlier the angle shown below makes it pretty difficult to argue that the ball did not cross the line.

post-34723-0-05516800-1402910168_thumb.jpg

As I said earlier the angle shown below makes it pretty difficult to argue that the ball did not cross the line.

That shot does not show the whole of the ball over the whole of the line.

The keepers arm is slightly obstructing the view but that ball is over the line. The technology works and the correct decision was made.

If you want it any clearer than that you are going to have to get a microscope and measure how many atoms that ball crossed the line by.

The keepers arm is slightly obstructing the view but that ball is over the line.

How can you tell if the keeper's arm is slightly obstructing the view? I'm just going on the physical shape of a perfect sphere. If the whole of that ball is over the whole of the line in that picture, then that ball has a straight edge on it. I'm not saying the goal wasn't a goal, but that picture falls way short of proving it.

Edited by The Sick Moon

The keepers arm is slightly obstructing the view but that ball is over the line.

How can you tell if the keeper's arm is slightly obstructing the view? I'm just going on the physical shape of a perfect sphere. If the whole of that ball is over the whole of the line in that picture, then that ball has a straight edge on it. I'm not saying the goal wasn't a goal, but that picture falls way short of proving it.

I think you have to accept that the technology is better than a still shot from a video camera, and that the motion tracking system they have works as well as it can. The Hawkeye system in tennis is now well established, and accepted - when the ball bounces on the line the imprint is portrayed as an ellipse, because they're modelling the real world where the ball deforms a bit and probably slides a bit. In classical high school physics the point of impact would literally be a point.

There's always going to be a bit of subjectivity in any electronic system of motion tracking, but it should be less than that of a ref and a linesman, and less than that of a simple video replay, and it should at least be consistent. Once the players, coaches and referees are used to it all I think it will improve the flow of the game, and avoid the usual scrums of over-paid prima donnas haranguing the ref if the decision hasn't gone their way.

Nope, I remain unconvinced. The French goal in question could have been allowed or disallowed without much controversy. With a stonewaller like Lampard's clear goal, a simple glance at a video à la rugby would confirm the goal, if that's the route FIFA want to go. Tennis is quite different, the ball is so small and so fast moving, Hawkeye actually increases the entertainment value.

Cross reference with the image posted by Slinky Devil #76 the only reasonable conclusion to draw is that the ball did indeed cross the line.

The way the info is conveyed is as much a part of the technology. Had the decision been the other way (i.e. a goal was signalled in error) the attackers would have stopped to celebrate with the ball in play.

How is that any different than if the referee had to confer with the linesman amongst a load of protesting players from both sides?

I'm not convinced about the goal line technology. The whole of the ball over the whole of the line is what is required, and yes the technology's animation showed just that. But the actual pictures seemed to contradict it.

eyetvsnapshot_30_.jpg

The whole of the ball in that picture isn't over the line.

The situation you describe doesn't happen. The ref doesn't blow his whistle to stop play and have a discussion. The attacking team might appeal but they soon get on with it if the other team has the ball and bearing down on goal.

The whole of the ball in that picture isn't over the line.

The situation you describe doesn't happen. The ref doesn't blow his whistle to stop play and have a discussion. The attacking team might appeal but they soon get on with it if the other team has the ball and bearing down on goal.

Shall we just revert to the simplest rule of them all... Referees decision is final.

Oh, and I bet you that at the next stoppage in play there would have been a full on argument about the previous decision that would have continued for a long time with the players constantly in the referees ear.