He wasn't "sitting there on red". He drove up to it and sailed straight through without slowing.

To my mind it was simple - green left (straight on), red right.

But then, I did go to Specsavers!

I don't suppose "Should have gone to Sadler and Vanderplank" has quite the same ring about it.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would never happen if we still had the death penalty.

The reason the arrow sometimes doesn't come on is because the call/cancel underground detector which uses induction to detect metal (the vehicles) is not bring triggered as it has a latching of 4 seco

I remember the days of the Brown Bobby on Peel Road. Good Manx fella's they were. Big hats and white gloves. And on the prom at Broadway. The traffic flowed freely then, with me A35 van. Not like toda

Posted Images

No mystery. He jumped the light.

At that spot it's so easy done. You're sitting there on red, your peripheral vision maybe sees green and you automatically let out the clutch and start off. I've caught myself a couple of times almost setting off before thinking better of it - I've never got as far as the one in the OP though, but I can see how easily it could happen. In Australia, in situations like this, the left hand filter arrow is flashing amber, not green, which means 'go if safe' - just like on pedestrian crossings. That could solve it.

Great idea. I've always liked the continental way of flashing amber at all entrances to a junction which is a similar idea to proceed with caution. No chance here though because it credits the road user with a modicum of common sense which goes right against the culture.

Probably mind in neutral or on the hands free. I guess we've all done it at some time being human and all that.

More than likely a force of habit. No point reporting it.

+1. i saw someone do the same a few days ago. people are used to it going green and pulling forward and waiting, just like it used to be. noit sure why it still isn't the same??

If it was the same as before people would ask why we'd spent large sums of money on something for it to be the same, so they have to make it different - even if it's shitter than before.

See Onchan traffic lights for example.

See Onchan traffic lights for example.

Three cars came off Avondale Road after my light heading into Douglas had gone green there yesterday.

All idiots who ignore the signals according to the traffic light powers that be, and there is nothing wrong with the signals at all.

The middle of the three was a police car, so they obviously need to work on their driver raining- or maybe the lights are shit.

• Like 1

End of Athol Street there are 2 filters, one for right, one for straight on and left. When somebody on the left side of Peel Road presses the pedestrian button, straight ahead is also held up.

I have seen on a few occasions cars just going down Railway Hill on red and quite frankly I do not see any harm in it, the DoI have been told many times that that set of traffic lights was programmed by a festering gimp yet it has not been altered since it was installed.

The DoI are the cause of 99% of the traffic related fuckups in town, which are then unfortunately enforced by law.

• Like 1

End of Athol Street there are 2 filters, one for right, one for straight on and left. When somebody on the left side of Peel Road presses the pedestrian button, straight ahead is also held up.

I have seen on a few occasions cars just going down Railway Hill on red and quite frankly I do not see any harm in it, the DoI have been told many times that that set of traffic lights was programmed by a festering gimp yet it has not been altered since it was installed.

The DoI are the cause of 99% of the traffic related fuckups in town, which are then unfortunately enforced by law.

Is that Matt?

Well at least we won't have to worry about this sort of thing when the new Manx Highway Code comes out. It will have 342 pages on poorly designed junctions, unnecessary roundabouts, badly timed traffic lights and confusing lane markings. Plus a section on how to spot a speed limit sign when it is almost completely overgrown with foliage. Now perhaps the doubters will see why we need our own version?

Edited by IOMRS97

A bit like the Manx Arms traffic lights in Onchan?

Yesterday, heading towards Ramsey, there were 3 or 4 cars still coming out of Avondale road after the main road lights had turned green. Surely they weren't all jumping the lights?

If that was about 3pm I was the last one of those cars - it was green when I went through, by the time I got to the bottom of the hill I could see cars moving, I was quite conscious I could get wiped out. Fortunately, everyone seems to proceed off from the lights on the main road with a lot more caution now.

Some of the road schemes and improvements over here are bonkers and encourage mistakes. There are junctions here which you would have to know, to know how to use them. Approaching Quarterbridge from Castletown to go up the hill - nobody would know that they had to be in the right lane [eta: sorry left lane - see] there unless they knew it in advance. And the crazy turn off at Pulrose where you have to be in the right lane to go straight ahead. Utterly counter intuitive and clearly committee designed.

And the fact that you have to go all around the Tesco roundabout instead of turning right by the station. And the mad traffic lights on the box junction at the intersection of Athol St and Lord St where the right hand filter arrow is occasional. And, and, and .... Grrrr.

• Like 1

I don't think turning right by the railway station is prohibited....

It's not exactly encouraged though is it, with those bollards and the block paved bit in the road. I can't remember if there's a 'no right turn' sign there or not.

I don't think turning right by the railway station is prohibited....

It's not exactly encouraged though is it, with those bollards and the block paved bit in the road. I can't remember if there's a 'no right turn' sign there or not.

There is no, 'No right turn' sign there. Nor bollards to restrict. I've done it quite a few times after seeing others, cabbies mainly, do it.

Maybe Inspector Flint or whoever's monitoring tonight could enlighten us....