Resignation of Minister

commish

Should John Shimmin's resignation have been accepted?  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mr Shimmin has actually had this coming for a long time.

For example, it was at a PAG meeting in the Empress Hotel, just before the 2006 election. when he smugly sat in front of the audience having put himself up for Chief Minister, that he bragged it was him and not Richard Corkill (the then former Chief Minister but still MHK) that had sold the Ramsey Post Office to a relative of Richard Corkill's. He rather enjoyed the gasp from the people gathered in the audience.

Like the power that typically goes to some school teachers' heads, he appears to me to have become drunk on the power that politics on the mighty Isle of Man has presented him. Basking in the constant spotlight with ego brimming and swagger accentuated he could do no wrong amongst his fellows of the inner circle of the Council of Ministers.

There can be no doubt that we need confident men to lead our Island, but confidence with competence and yes, complete integrity, can be a difficult balance to find.

I would like to know why the Sefton has got itself into this state when the Isle of Man has gone through an unprecedented two decades of growth. The business has either been mis-managed or people have been scooping too much of the profits. Either way, I don't see why the public of the Isle of Man should bail The Sefton out as they have.

Edited by Sock Puppet 2014
  • Like 1

Bill Henderson and John Houghton.

Wrong is wrong. How wrong do people have to be to you for them to go? Are certain people indispensable whatever wrong they do, simply because there is not a better alternative?

I'm not saying they shouldn't go, but yes, there does need to be a credible alternative

Bell and Teare should go too.

To be replaced by...?

Anybody, absolutely anybody...

Just get ruthless and rip the stripes off the pair of them.

It'll scare the $hit out of anybody considering doing the same.

TBT.

Surely a better alternative would be to NOT replace them - think how much money it would save. It's not as if they would be missed. Or , you could stop the first two people you met in the street and hire them on as replacements at a quarter of the price. No previous experience necessary...

• Like 1

I listed to interviews with Shimmin and Bell on Manx Radio this morning and would like to say I was astounded at what I heard. Unfortunatly I cease to be astounded at what comes out of their mouths.

Shimmin seems to believe that business will have major concerns about his going and the impact it will have on them. He also wanted to reassure business that because he would be happy and available to help and advise his successor that the impact of his departure would not be as noticeable as many might think! I doubt most businesses on the IoM are bothered one jot.

As for Bell, aparently everybody else is to blame. The public have had opinion swayed by comments in Tynwald and the Media. The Sefton bods should have not contradicted his version of events. He viewed recent legal opinion from a UK QC was simply the view of "one legal officer", others thought differently and it was unfortunate that the view of what he basically implied was a rogue opinion was taken to have credibility. I could go on. Is Bell really that stupid or arogant that he basically now believes that whatever he says should be taken as gospel and that anybody who disagrees is basically wrong and an enemy of the IoM? Sometimes it is better just to STFU as the more Bell complains the more it appears that he believes it does not matter if a Minister acts outside their powers or what they do just as long as it agrees with his view and it can be argued it was done in good faith and for the benefit of the Island.

Rant over

• Like 6

http://www.gov.im/media/11304/hi_ecs_2013_application_form-new_website.pdf

You can't even get a small grant to insulate your loft without them checking whether you owe money to the Income Tax division.

In the case of the Sefton Group the government lent them money to pay their NI arrears. That is the crux of the problem-

the legality of the loan-not the protection of the island's economy.

That was the official line..... but listen carefully to what the Chairman of the Sefton Group had to say in this interview with Paul Moulton in April 2013 (from approx 1:20 onwards):

http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/54491/sefton-group-chairman-2-

It wasn't only about getting up-to-date with the amounts owed to government, it was also to allow them to develop their plans with the Palace...... "survival", in the words of the Chairman, wasn't the issue.

The old boy network is very much alive and kicking.

• Like 1

He viewed recent legal opinion from a UK QC was simply the view of "one legal officer", others thought differently and it was unfortunate that the view of what he basically implied was a rogue opinion was taken to have credibility. I could go on.

Well c'mon CM, make the 'other' opinions publicly available and let's compare notes shall we?

• Like 2

Please remember on the odd occasion that MTTV has a report of some interest to provide a link that others can use http://media.manx.net/vod/640x480_20-04-13-01-19-02_130419%20miles%20walker%202.mp4

Sorry turns out that someone at Manx Telecom has found out how to do something technical with the internet and has stopped direct linkage, now they just need to read one of the many free tutorials on how to get their content to work on modern devices so that anyone with a new android or windows phone can view.

Edited by j2bad

They've told so many porkies I think they actually believe them now;

'Threat to island businesses who are creditors...'

'Savings jobs....'

'Keeping afloat a large island employer....'

'No other alternative....'

All of these rubbished in one interview by The Sefton Group chairman but they gloss over it. Why are the media not going to town on this fact? We all know why. This whole affair has brought to light how much of a cesspit this whole place is and it needs gutting.

• Like 2

Shimmin did his best not to resign because he didn't believe it was necessary, and he only did so initially becausae he knew it wouldn't be accepted.

Bell did his best not to accept but the whole thing stank so bad he had to cave in.

He's made it clear he doesn't think he or Shimmin have done anything wrong.

It's equally clear that there's a sweetener at the end of a not-too-distant road for Shimmin.

I'd like to bet £1.6m of public money he's the next CM.

Then everything will be all right and the Old Boys Club can get another round of doubles in.

Have I missed anytyhing?

I listed to interviews with Shimmin and Bell on Manx Radio this morning and would like to say I was astounded at what I heard. Unfortunatly I cease to be astounded at what comes out of their mouths.

Shimmin seems to believe that business will have major concerns about his going and the impact it will have on them. He also wanted to reassure business that because he would be happy and available to help and advise his successor that the impact of his departure would not be as noticeable as many might think! I doubt most businesses on the IoM are bothered one jot.

As for Bell, aparently everybody else is to blame. The public have had opinion swayed by comments in Tynwald and the Media. The Sefton bods should have not contradicted his version of events. He viewed recent legal opinion from a UK QC was simply the view of "one legal officer", others thought differently and it was unfortunate that the view of what he basically implied was a rogue opinion was taken to have credibility. I could go on. Is Bell really that stupid or arogant that he basically now believes that whatever he says should be taken as gospel and that anybody who disagrees is basically wrong and an enemy of the IoM? Sometimes it is better just to STFU as the more Bell complains the more it appears that he believes it does not matter if a Minister acts outside their powers or what they do just as long as it agrees with his view and it can be argued it was done in good faith and for the benefit of the Island.

Rant over

wonderfull shite on the radio from the chuckle brothers ,one not impossible translation from bollox to english, we lied to help our mates who have the dirt on us and we got found out. we couldn't lie our way out of it as usual cos kate wouldn't shut the fuck up so my new best friend has had to take the the fall. don't worry about him though, he will be looked after behind the scenes and we will all carry on as normal, fuck you all,especially kate.

WELL DONE KATE........ keep up the good work.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 3

I can't believe what I just heard coming out of Mr Bell's mouth.

The only person who is giving the Island a bad name is YOU Mr Bell. You can't wash over something so big like a £7million loan/grant/handout, over the past few years, which is deemed so wrong at the first hurdle of not having paid the ITIP and VAT. Any muppet could have known this, the forms for assistance are printed on the internet on the government website.

I am absolutely disgusted by his comments, and very unhappy with trying to blame everyone else, when it is HIS responsibility to see that his Ministers do the right thing.

• Like 6