What is your favorite fish?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About £12/kg for a decent fish at the fish monger or £8/kg (-ish) off the boat here.

Anyone here remember buying fish direct from the boat ~50 years go on the Island?

About £12/kg for a decent fish at the fish monger or £8/kg (-ish) off the boat here.

Anyone here remember buying fish direct from the boat ~50 years go on the Island?

I remember a guy in a van selling herring. He used to ring a very loud hand bell and yell "Herring... fresh herring!"

I remember a guy in a van selling herring. He used to ring a very loud hand bell and yell "Herring... fresh herring!"

You don't remember the guy with the Horse and cart? Be mid-1960's. He used to come around the Rosemount area. Maybe a Canipa....whatever.gif

White catfish straight from the Mekong. Will have fed on human shite it's entire life. Yuck.

Have you tried that pangasius stuff? Vietnamese River Cobbler? It's cheap, and a bit odd. But if you coat in in this stuff and flash fry it in a VERY hot pan it's amazing.

Serve with some sweet potatoes that you boil in chunks and then throw into the fish pan for a minute after you've plated up the fish, and some kind of roasted yellow and red pepper thing, or just some sweetcorn.

Considering we had a turbot hatchery at Derbyhaven for some years TJ (they also made hedgehog flavour crisps) and your (self) suggested omniscience, I'm a bit surprised you hadn't heard of turbot, especially as its been discussed on here before. http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53550-turbot-hatchery/

Yep I shall ask the butler to get some in Spain and post it to you.

• Like 1

Yeah. True dat. No more crabs and lobsters straight to restaurants from the boats yessir.

Turbot along with Monk fish are a right pair of fugly bastards.

surprised no one mentioned Turbot