Snaefell railway needs £700,000 of repairs

Seen the story going round about the mountain railway? The DoI say they can't justify running it at the moment, because of costs, so the Manx Electric Railway Society have offered some cash to run it for a bit. There's a press release

PRESS RELEASE FROM
MANX ELECTRIC RAILWAY SOCIETY
Sunday, August 9th, 2020

THE SNAEFELL MOUNTAIN RAILWAY

The Minister for the Department of Infrastructure appeared on Manx Radio news on Friday and seemed to suggest, (although without figures to justify this) that for reasons of cost the Snaefell Mountain Railway cannot run this year.

The Committee of the Manx Electric Railway Society has this morning unanimously voted to transfer £9000 to the Railways to permit them to operate the Snaefell Mountain Railway for three weeks for the 125th Anniversary Celebrations.

We believe that £9000 will be more than enough cover the costs of 4 weeks operation starting on the 125 Anniversary (21.08.20). It would be 15 days operation for 4 men if the forecast is bad and 6 men if the forecast is good. With 6 staff in every day that’s just 50 passengers to break even, a tram full. The weather is improving and there is good reason to believe that this will work.

The £9000 will be a backstop. If the trams run and do not cost the Government money then it can be used to restore a tramcar which is presently out of use and accordingly the gift will be consistent with our objectives as a charity.
ENDS.

Now, I'm no fan of MERS because of their horse tram nonsense over the years, but this is a good move. I suspect that they know something behind the scenes that is wrong, and that the DoI won't own up to, so this offer is actually a ploy to see what they can shake out. I bet it'll get turned down, for 'reasons', but without actually giving what they really are. Certainly not 'we can't be arsed'.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Seen the story going round about the mountain railway? The DoI say they can't justify running it at the moment, because of costs, so the Manx Electric Railway Society have offered some cash to run it for a bit. There's a press release

Now, I'm no fan of MERS because of their horse tram nonsense over the years, but this is a good move. I suspect that they know something behind the scenes that is wrong, and that the DoI won't own up to, so this offer is actually a ploy to see what they can shake out. I bet it'll get turned down, for 'reasons', but without actually giving what they really are. Certainly not 'we can't be arsed'.

I reckon that’s a very good shout. Let’s watch with interest.

DoI are already suggesting reasons not to accept, though they have said that they'll consider it (iomtoday). MERS have offered £9k. Chickenfeed to what DoI are accustomed to spending even if its just operational use.

Whilst I fully accept that the MER is in need of essential maintenance, I look at the work being presently carried out on the tracks at Groudle  and wonder if we are constructing the new east coast high speed railway ?  In my humble opinion the specification is beyond “solid platinum” for what is, after all, to only be used by ultra slow speed lightweight rolling stock.  Anybody else got any views?

Edited by Cypman
Typos
2 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Whilst I fully accept that the MER is in need of essential maintenance, I look at the work being presently carried out on the tracks at Groudle  and wonder if we are constructing the new east coast high speed railway ?  In my humble opinion the specification in beyond “solid platinum” for what is, after all, for use by ultra slow speed lightweight rolling stock.  Anybody else got any views?

It's certainly being done to a high standard, and very quickly compared to the prom. Sections just completed are in areas prone to flooding so perhaps done to a different spec. Guys are always hard at it, unlike prom.

I don't think they (Railways) care if they actually run it or not this year. Even if they're effectively bribed to do it by MERS. Longworth won't want anybody else inputting or playing with his trainset.

Just as long as he can keep spending the Departmental budget on it though. It's not about public service or amenity, nor has it been for a long time. One man's very expensive hobby.

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s bad when even a nutter can’t convince them to take the cash. 

It's class hearing him order a taxi home from the pub!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I don't think they (Railways) care if they actually run it or not this year. Even if they're effectively bribed to do it by MERS. Longworth won't want anybody else inputting or playing with his trainset.

Yes it’s not about providing a service that’s for sure. 

• 1 month later...