Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Boo Gay'n

Port Erin Marine Research Station

46 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Toot?

Red brick building just before harbour, formerly George Herdman institute,given to people of Port Erin as a library and snooker hall, sadly sold into private hands by PE commissioners despite many objections, I used to play for the snooker team in the sixties

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Please explain.

stony at the cosy nook end, sandy at the Toot end.  As it’s always been..

There is much more stone at the Toot end in recent years, in my opinion due to the commissioners raking the the beach, over the past few years they have transported tons of sand from the Toot end to the Cosy Nook end using a digger, tractor and trailer, I used to live on Port Erin beach in the mid to late 50's, and I don't remember any stones between the stream and and the flight of steps at the Toot end, we had to cross over the stream to get stones to decorate sandcastles.

Edited by hagar the horrible

To be fair, that is the most times I have seen "the Toot" mentioned in a post.

Etymologically 'the 'tute' as a contraction of The George Herdman Institute

(eta, Sorry,  as has already been pointed out at top of page by hagar)

Edited by gettafa

2 hours ago, hagar the horrible said:

There is much more stone at the Toot end in recent years, in my opinion due to the commissioners raking the the beach, over the past few years they have transported tons of sand from the Toot end to the Cosy Nook end using a digger, tractor and trailer, I used to live on Port Erin beach in the mid to late 50's, and I don't remember any stones between the stream and and the flight of steps at the Toot end, we had to cross over the stream to get stones to decorate sandcastles.

I’ve never seen them transport sand over, seen them rake the seaweed up and taken away. You may be right there are more stones on the other side of the stream though. How about the possible reason that the old breakwater is definitely sinking, and this could be causing the further drift? 

And, does anyone really know how many flights of steps on the wall goes down on the beach side? 

Me and the young fella excavated 6 steps down below the beach level last summer, think there were still more.

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Me and the young fella excavated 6 steps down below the beach level last summer, think there were still more.

So that takes it to about 12, wonder how many more?