How old is old and what is young?

How old is old and what is young?

I have been wondering a bit about this question for some time now.

I mean how do you measure this and from what perspective should one begin?

Edited by Manx_Mus
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Young is when you know nothing of sex and therefore it provokes no reaction in the body. Old is when you know all about sex and therefore it provokes no reaction in the body

As it's my birthday today I like to think 'mature' rather than old and I stopped counting the years long ago, I'm just me.   Inside I'm 38 and although bits and bobs may get older, people are more

You know you're old when you have dry dreams and wet farts...       Youth- such a shame it's wasted on the young.

I had a family friend who lamented they were transitioning from the old age of youth to the youth of old age.

I have to say I've aged in the last few years, as have my friends - oh those grey hairs and thinning patches!

But I'd still argue I've not made the full transition yet. Mid-life crisis - oh yes. Old - not yet!

Age like race and sexual orientation is ceasing to be an issue in the social sense although of course it exists in the medical and physical sense. I effectively retired at 58. I have flat in a garden environment sheltered housing scheme for the retired...But you need to be 55 minimum to get in....The old rules on "old" you see!

There are several people here in this block of 16 flats who were in their thirties when I was born. Some are old looking others sprightly.

One has the same birthday as me and was 32 and in the Army when I was born. He only stopped driving last year and every day at 6am is up and out in shiny shoes and a pressed suit. He is starting to go bald now but five years ago I had to save him from an "Essex Boy" during a bus stop altercation. "The Boy" thought that the older man was about 50 I think. He was shocked when I said he was in his 90s...

Some builders here doing a lot of work assumed that being "old" we would be in all day. They got a shock! Well most of us are out and too busy for that. One of my neighbours likes to tramp the entire country and France. He is almost 70 and is rarely here. He goes on the tramp living in a tent and then comes back to rest and then sets off again.

On the other hand we had one who died recently at 92 and he was almost blind, could not walk and was stone deaf and he kept on telling us that long life is not worth it!

The management here six years ago told us that the very concept of retiring at a certain age is going out of the window and that their role as Retirement Scheme Managers was to be abolished. This has happened..

These retirement flats are now known as "Sheltered Accommodation" and any reference to retirement and age has been dropped. The management told us that inevitably we would adopt the "work till you drop" system as in the USA and that in effect we are the last ones to be admitted into this type of housing under the concept of "Age"...

Even the term "Pensioners" is wrongly used now as it seems to indicate poverty but my income and standard of living has bounded ahead since I stopped working..I actually struggle to spend my pension money.

Bits of you age but you in yourself never really age as there are compensations for every stage of life...The only negative factor being that you have to live long enough to appreciate every stage!

I tell you one thing though...Passing from 40 to 65 is just a blink of the eye! And the hours now go so fast I have to start my activities at 5 am...

In my experience it is the young people who think "old" and boy have they got a shock coming to them! It soon goes you know...

As it's my birthday today flowers.gif I like to think 'mature' rather than old and I stopped counting the years long ago, I'm just me.

Inside I'm 38 and although bits and bobs may get older, people are more than the sum of their parts, whatever their age.

• Like 3

I had a family friend who lamented they were transitioning from the old age of youth to the youth of old age.

I was going to chide you for verbing, until I saw the top result of a google search for the offending word, viz

Transitioning is the process of changing one's gender presentation permanently to accord with one's internal sense of one's gender

As it's my birthday today flowers.gif I like to think 'mature' rather than old and I stopped counting the years long ago, I'm just me.

Inside I'm 38 and although bits and bobs may get older, people are more than the sum of their parts, whatever their age.

I'm 56, soon 57 and feel just as I did thirty years ago. Could well be a mainly stress-free life, good health (and good luck with health) and looking after myself.