Staff ID cards

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

cAPTAIN cAPITALS wE mEET aGAIN. yOUR aRCH nEMESIS lIEUTENANT lOWER cASE      

Takes some doing. Two words, both wrong.

Personally, I just used to forget I was wearing one. In most cases it is not intended as a fashion accessory or to show off where you work but simply another part of your work wear. Would you compla

People who have them around their necks in town during their lunch break do realise nobody cares who they are or where they work?

Twenty years or so back I got an out of hours phone call from the British Transport Police saying they had a drunk on site (Euston St, London) and the only i.d. he had was his security pass from work - which prompted the call; wallet had been stolen.

As he was a Director of the company we sent a car out to bring him back, we were also sworn to secrecy regarding the event. The chap was an alcoholic and dispatched to a(nother) drying out clinic.

We got an immediate weeks holiday, free gratis and a bonus at the next appraisal "for using initiative".

TBT.

People who have them around their necks in town during their lunch break do realise nobody cares who they are or where they work?

Twenty years or so back I got an out of hours phone call from the British Transport Police saying they had a drunk on site (Euston St, London) and the only i.d. he had was his security pass from work - which prompted the call; wallet had been stolen.

As he was a Director of the company we sent a car out to bring him back, we were also sworn to secrecy regarding the event. The chap was an alcoholic and dispatched to a(nother) drying out clinic.

We got an immediate weeks holiday, free gratis and a bonus at the next appraisal "for using initiative".

TBT.

What would you have done if he'd been the office junior?

Now we know you're lying.

You're making fun of someone for having no friends? Is that what you're doing, Roxanne?

TBT.

What would you have done if he'd been the office junior?

>What would you have done if he'd been the office junior?

Not received the extra holidays or bonus :)

I'd have gone whatever their status, there but for the grace of God go us all...

TBT.

Everyone should wear a name badge, I'm not sure how any person is supposed to remember every single person they've ever spoken to and recall their name when they meet, utterly impossible. That would also solve the problem of the awkwardness you feel when you say a big cheery "Hello" to someone you've never actually met before however, they bear a strong resemblance to a lad you last saw in Murrays Road school in 1979.....It happened to me just the other week in "The Pigeon" and I got caught realising my error half way through my booming hello.

As Tina Fey said in 30 Rock - any man who is over the age of 30 who still has to wear a security tag round his neck isn't marriage material. It's an outward sign of a failed career plan.

Or a shirt and tie for that matter. I run my business wearing tee shirt, casual trousers and trainers for most of the time. If I smarten up to see a customer, it's in respect of the world he lives in and the regime he conforms to. It means nothing to me. As for id cards around the neck, in my opinion they are alien to the Isle of Man and have no place here. Same goes for reception areas that nowadays cower behind locked security doors and entry systems. 20 years ago you could walk into any office in Douglas without hinder and be greeted with a smile. What on Earth are they expecting to happen that they are all so nervous, and how much has the lock down cost?

• Like 1

Are you planning on playing the victim card already?

Here's a new assignment for you instead of trolling Isle of Man residents.

Go find out if the rumours are true about Angela Merkel's six incher.

As Tina Fey said in 30 Rock - any man who is over the age of 30 who still has to wear a security tag round his neck isn't marriage material. It's an outward sign of a failed career plan.

Or a shirt and tie for that matter. I run my business wearing tee shirt, casual trousers and trainers for most of the time. If I smarten up to see a customer, it's in respect of the world he lives in and the regime he conforms to. It means nothing to me. As for id cards around the neck, in my opinion they are alien to the Isle of Man and have no place here. Same goes for reception areas that nowadays cower behind locked security doors and entry systems. 20 years ago you could walk into any office in Douglas without hinder and be greeted with a smile. What on Earth are they expecting to happen that they are all so nervous, and how much has the lock down cost?

Woolley, how is the funeral undertaking business going these days?biggrin.png

Some jobs require a "uniform" or there may be a generally accepted view of "appropriate clothing" , however it doesn't stop you being a "social chameleon" .

Sometimes in business, I would suggest , there may be some merit in presenting an appearance which will not "offend" ,as "first appearances " can "grease the wheels".

I know Managing Directors and Business Owners who have to wear security badges around their necks so hardly a sign of a failed career....

(Granted it is typically when visiting client sites but they still have to wear them!)

I couldn't agree more Woolley. Businesses and Govt Departments have been hoodwinked by security firms and have bought all sorts of security equipment which is simply not needed. The access card hanging round the neck however is simply common sense. Put it in your wallet and it may affect or be affected by a bank card, put it in your pocket and it may get lost or broken. Hang it round your neck and it remains safe and is convenient for use at the door of your premises. Talk of it being worn as some kind of badge of honour is simply childish nonsense - but it is a TJ thread I suppose.

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more Woolley. Businesses and Govt Departments have been hoodwinked by security firms and have bought all sorts of security equipment which is simply not needed. The access card hanging round the neck however is simply common sense. Put it in your wallet and it may affect or be affected by a bank card, put it in your pocket and it may get lost or broken. Hang it round your neck and it remains safe and is convenient for use at the door of your premises. Talk of it being worn as some kind of badge of honour is simply childish nonsense - but it is a TJ thread I suppose.

Yes. I see that, Piebaps. I agree that badges are not being worn like a 10 inch erection. But the notion that it is so dangerous in Douglas that offices are under siege to the point where they need to be locked, presumably to keep would be trespassers at bay, and everyone that works there needs to have key access and wear identity is entirely fanciful. No doubt it conforms to BS God knows whatever and they have the certificate on the wall to prove it.

• Like 1