More cuts to emergency services

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is false argumentative route to go down. No civil or public service people should be becoming practically millionaires at the expense of the taxpayer.

News should have given it a better headline:   Killer Cuts To Frontline Services   Spewin Juan Will Let Your House Burn Down   etc...   Less money on IOMG managers would mean more money for em

>Just pray that you or yours don't need the services of these extremely brave men at any time in the future, as there may not be enough of them to help   Too true, I'll remember that next time I

Posted Images

Well I think with the way modern fire safety has gone there really isn't a need for a fulltime fire station anymore.

How is it all the rest of the island can manage with retained guys and girls and Douglas needs fulltime ?

Yes Douglas has a larger percentage of populous but could it not be managed so that they have 12hrs of fulltime and 12 hours of retained ?

I have no issue with the fire service just try to look at it in a way where its cost effective for the future?

Its getting stupid now the government wage bill, how about bringing in some immigrants to do the work, its seems a popular way of keeping wages down these days ? crying.gif

You may be forgetting that the fire service does more than just put fires out, cutting people out of cars is common if there is a risk of chest/back injuries

I don't understand why people have a problem with this idea of Firemen "sat around doing nothing". They're ready and waiting for the call to come in so they can react as quickly as possible to any emergency. They regularly train, and maintain their equipment again so they are ready for the call.

If you were stuck in a burning building or trapped in a crashed car, do you want them there in 5 mins or 15?

Also just because the island has been lucky with regard to major disasters in the last few decades doesn't mean we won't need them more than ever, the population is growing and the number of people, buildings, traffic and risks is increasing every year.

If there is a genuine case for making savings (a 500k payoff for a chief fire officer was mentioned earlier and if true is a fucking joke) so be it, but NEVER at the cost of the efficiency of the service, if only the rest of the Government could keep vehicles for 15+ year before upgrading.

Edited by wideload
  • Like 3

Have to agree that the firemen do a good job and are professional about it.

But the problem is that the money is no longer there so new ways of thinking are needed ?

How about we put advertising on the fire engines? like they do with buses etc lol.

Just face facts times are changing either deal with it or bloody retire, most of them have second jobs so they must be right greedy bastards.

• Like 1

Been doing some digging ,

It would appear the million quid is calculated on a fire death as far as I can make out. So it includes everything from the initial emergency services cost to insurance, hospital, funeral, rebuild/repair and the legal costs both criminal (depending on the circumstances) and then in the private courts (blame claim culture) and everything else associated with the incident (long term care)

Firefighters pay 11% of their wages towards their pension the same as MHK’s !! (I jest obviously) so I would imagine someone asking you to pay more than that and get less back is a touchy subject (which is one of the reasons the UK fire service is on strike every other week at the moment) .The UK fire services have had bigger cuts so far but can back each other up, over here the only back up is big John the farmer and his tract fella ! Google "fire pump" ! you can buy an ordinary pump for pumping out a field etc for about £500, stick “fire” in front of it and its nearly five grand for some of them –How’s that right ? And If they don’t us a BS (British standard) pump and someone is killed or injured the poor sod that bought it is going to prison, so it Hobson’s on that one. Trucks and hot fire buildings come out of Capital so it’s not their money, they bid for it ( which I think could be a great game show for a Saturday night). The day-to-day money is revenue, which is used to pay the wages etc., so them the rules people unless we light the torches and start the glorious revolution comrades !

Ref the trucks15 years plus isn’t a bad innings and just because something looks passable on the outside doesn’t mean its not all mangled and twisted on the inside ( marriage ?! :-) ) There is also the Euro 6 regs that came out recently which regulate the emissions of trucks , and those are a lot more expensive to buy. Finally if the fire service are like the rest of government I don’t think they have a say when their press releases come out it usually sits higher up the food chain, but I would agree some them are a bit confusing. The bottom line it appears being a water fairy isn’t what it once was, although I think the foods still good looking a few of them :-)

>There is also the Euro 6 regs that came out recently which regulate the emissions of trucks , and those are a lot more expensive to buy.

And yet Bus Vannin justified the purchase of their new Mercedes fleet as being cost effective on the grounds of better fuel economy. So we're asked to believe that the fuel savings more than cover the cost of the purchase. Hence the sale of the older vehicles of the fleet to Blackpool Corpy.

Yet a few hundred metres away at Fire Vannin, the new vehicles will be "a lot more expensive to buy" on account of having to meet the new Euro6 emission regulations; but if the current vehicles are "worn out" then surely they're well utilised and burn lots of expensive fuel in the process.

And that being the case why not replace the road sweepers, bin wagons, bubble gum machine etc on the grounds of fuel savings.

And just for the record the Euro6 regs don't apply retrospectively and it perfectly acceptable to continue using 15 year old vehicles.

On another note why not employ the fire brigade as we do the Lifeboat Institution i.e. with volunteers?

TBT.

It would appear the million quid is calculated on a fire death as far as I can make out. So it includes everything from the initial emergency services cost to insurance, hospital, funeral, rebuild/repair and the legal costs both criminal (depending on the circumstances) and then in the private courts (blame claim culture) and everything else associated with the incident (long term care)

Firefighters pay 11% of their wages towards their pension the same as MHK’s !! (I jest obviously) so I would imagine someone asking you to pay more than that and get less back is a touchy subject (which is one of the reasons the UK fire service is on strike every other week at the moment) .The UK fire services have had bigger cuts so far but can back each other up, over here the only back up is big John the farmer and his tract fella ! Google "fire pump" ! you can buy an ordinary pump for pumping out a field etc for about £500, stick “fire” in front of it and its nearly five grand for some of them –How’s that right ? And If they don’t us a BS (British standard) pump and someone is killed or injured the poor sod that bought it is going to prison, so it Hobson’s on that one. Trucks and hot fire buildings come out of Capital so it’s not their money, they bid for it ( which I think could be a great game show for a Saturday night). The day-to-day money is revenue, which is used to pay the wages etc., so them the rules people unless we light the torches and start the glorious revolution comrades !

Ref the trucks15 years plus isn’t a bad innings and just because something looks passable on the outside doesn’t mean its not all mangled and twisted on the inside ( marriage ?! :-) ) There is also the Euro 6 regs that came out recently which regulate the emissions of trucks , and those are a lot more expensive to buy. Finally if the fire service are like the rest of government I don’t think they have a say when their press releases come out it usually sits higher up the food chain, but I would agree some them are a bit confusing. The bottom line it appears being a water fairy isn’t what it once was, although I think the foods still good looking a few of them :-)

>There is also the Euro 6 regs that came out recently which regulate the emissions of trucks , and those are a lot more expensive to buy.

And yet Bus Vannin justified the purchase of their new Mercedes fleet as being cost effective on the grounds of better fuel economy. So we're asked to believe that the fuel savings more than cover the cost of the purchase. Hence the sale of the older vehicles of the fleet to Blackpool Corpy.

Yet a few hundred metres away at Fire Vannin, the new vehicles will be "a lot more expensive to buy" on account of having to meet the new Euro6 emission regulations; but if the current vehicles are "worn out" then surely they're well utilised and burn lots of expensive fuel in the process.

And that being the case why not replace the road sweepers, bin wagons, bubble gum machine etc on the grounds of fuel savings.

And just for the record the Euro6 regs don't apply retrospectively and it perfectly acceptable to continue using 15 year old vehicles.

On another note why not employ the fire brigade as we do the Lifeboat Institution i.e. with volunteers?

TBT.

I would not begrudge the firemen anything, but this talk of Euro 6 is (I am sure) rubbish and does not apply over here (apart from a small saving in "road tax".

Any talk of fuel saving must be tounge in cheek too as the milage of a fire engine cannot be great.

TBT.

I would not begrudge the firemen anything, but this talk of Euro 6 is (I am sure) rubbish and does not apply over here (apart from a small saving in "road tax".

Any talk of fuel saving must be tounge in cheek too as the milage of a fire engine cannot be great.

Since the end of 2013 if you want to buy any new HGV it will be Euro 6 compliant i.e the don't make Euro 5 vehicles anymore. A new Euro 6 HGV costs more than a Euro 5 because of all the new technology on them.

TBT.

Since the end of 2013 if you want to buy any new HGV it will be Euro 6 compliant i.e the don't make Euro 5 vehicles anymore. A new Euro 6 HGV costs more than a Euro 5 because of all the new technology on them.

Should of bought them last year then.