The Overhead Monorail System

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The amount of money that has been wasted over the past decade we could have had a tram system connecting all the towns on the island and actually have a transport system worthy of the name, not just a

I think they would, and it wouldn't have cost that much. The infrastructure for a tramway/train running in a circle around the island with two trams/trains running concurrently in opposite directions,

If the overhead monorail was built in the same style as the Wuppertal Schwebebahn, and if it was built all around the TT course, then we would be able to ...   1) move people (including marshals) ar

Posted Images

The amount of money that has been wasted over the past decade we could have had a tram system connecting all the towns on the island and actually have a transport system worthy of the name, not just a 100 yr old steam train and a load of obscenely expensive buses.

• Like 4

The amount of money that has been wasted over the past decade we could have had a tram system connecting all the towns on the island and actually have a transport system worthy of the name, not just a 100 yr old steam train and a load of obscenely expensive buses.

From Isle of Man Examiner 1st December 1976:

post-266-0-63892500-1406553736_thumb.jpg

Ahh yes! Monorails are definitely the future!!

I know I am reading that article with hindsight but it is hard to believe that even in 1976 that would have been an idea worthy of any real consideration. Essentially that guy is proposing to take away the existing railway/tramway infrastructure (bearing in mind the Peel line still existed) and replace it with a monorail which would undoubtedly have to follow a very similar route!!

It would have been much better to have gradually upgraded the existing rail infrastructure, however, the private car was really the death of them. Even now if you could introduce a modern rail transit system I doubt anyone would seriously use it.

I was in the scouts, I know what you mean, You had to earn those badges and it might take a few months or more.

It's a bit like O' levels/GCSEs.

At one time 8 was a hefty number and if 3 or 4 of them were grade A then you were a genius. These days a dozen or more is the norm and grade A with a few stars or whatever after each and everyone, is de rigeur

Ahh yes! Monorails are definitely the future!!

I know I am reading that article with hindsight but it is hard to believe that even in 1976 that would have been an idea worthy of any real consideration. Essentially that guy is proposing to take away the existing railway/tramway infrastructure (bearing in mind the Peel line still existed) and replace it with a monorail which would undoubtedly have to follow a very similar route!!

It would have been much better to have gradually upgraded the existing rail infrastructure, however, the private car was really the death of them. Even now if you could introduce a modern rail transit system I doubt anyone would seriously use it.

I think they would, and it wouldn't have cost that much. The infrastructure for a tramway/train running in a circle around the island with two trams/trains running concurrently in opposite directions, if done correctly and not by the muppets who can't even lay a road properly, would have been money well spent when compared to absolute fortunes spent on nothing over the past decade.

• Like 2