4G Has Arrived

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They would be better off getting 2g & 3g to work properly first.

I checked via MT website and the result is in - yippee my sim card is 4G ready - yay..... but my tariff is not 4G ready and nor is my handset - boo... well I am already paying more than enough so they

I know some young folk may find it hard to believe, but those of us who grew up in the sixties and seventies managed perfectly well without all these fancy gadgets.

Posted Images

I could not really care less as I am a ludite where technology is concerned and as long as I can send and receive phone calls and look at cover e-mails, (not attachments) when out of the office I do not feel the desire to look at the internet, or download a file/game when walking down Strand Street. My phone simply stays in my pocket.

I remember all these self-styled luddites about 10 years ago, they were never ever going to get a mobile phone or a computer.

Now every time (and I mean every time) I see them they are either on their phone or on the internets with their laptop,

Great 4G is switched on and now I cannot access mobile date, never had a problem until this morning. Apple say's it's down to MT to issue the necessary info to connect iPhones to the 4G network but MT say they are waiting for Apple to unlock LTE. As MT are not a Carrier Partner Apple say that they (MT) will probably have to issue settings for a manual update, although MT now seem to be saying tough you will have to wait for iOS8 in September

Yup, that's the one I heard as well. Tough titties for crApple users smile.png

Great, you'll be able to get an average 10-12mb download on a mobile device....

That's it? LTE here gives you up to 42 and actually delivers that, at least in the CBD. No idea further out, but the new stuff they launched is actually fast as fückery. Surely giving such a small place as IOM super mega speeds everywhere should be well possible?

Slim - yes I do, and speed is fine. However, internet speed is like a chain. It is only as strong as it's weakest link. Data can travel as fast as it wants to and from MT. Doing a proper internet speed test to a decent remote distance rarely gets you better than 8mb

I am not au courant with the technologies, but is the 'H+' indicator on the phone mean that it is 4g, as it used to show that on 3G in the UK.

And has the GSM signal been updated to EDGE, as I get 'E' instead of 'G' now?

It wouldn't surprise me if their new kit did EDGE, which is colloquially known as 2.5G and was a lot better than GPRS.

H+ is HSPDA+ which is often known as 3.5G, there is also HSPDA and 3G, HSPDA+ obviously being fastest. Sure have HSPDA, occasionally HSPDA+ when I've been in Harry's Cafe.

On the 4G network, you will actually have a 4G symbol.

Personally, 4G is of no real use to me in terms of speed gains, because I can stream Netflix in good enough quality over 3G on my phone, on Sure, I've had downloads on their HSPDA plan running at 400-600kB/s.

On the other hand, the large upgrade in high speed coverage should make a big difference for Sure users especially, when it finally arrives. 4G is said to have better indoors coverage too.

I had the option across with GiffGaff to opt for a 4G plan, but I'd rather unlimited data on 3G as the O2 network tends to be fairly speedy anyway, that and 4G signal is still patchy in the UK. Though, where I currently am, 1 bar of GPRS signal is not to be sniffed at...

Great 4G is switched on and now I cannot access mobile date, never had a problem until this morning. Apple say's it's down to MT to issue the necessary info to connect iPhones to the 4G network but MT say they are waiting for Apple to unlock LTE. As MT are not a Carrier Partner Apple say that they (MT) will probably have to issue settings for a manual update, although MT now seem to be saying tough you will have to wait for iOS8 in September

Why the hate? Fanboy much?

>Great, you'll be able to get an average 10-12mb download on a mobile device....

That's it? LTE here gives you up to 42 and actually delivers that, at least in the CBD. No idea further out, but the new stuff they launched is actually fast as fückery. Surely giving such a small place as IOM super mega speeds everywhere should be well possible?

10 - 12mb seems to be the general global average - although it may peak 40 -50, - probably late evening / very early morning on a 'quiet' network.

Slim - yes I do, and speed is fine. However, internet speed is like a chain. It is only as strong as it's weakest link. Data can travel as fast as it wants to and from MT. Doing a proper internet speed test to a decent remote distance rarely gets you better than 8mb

Gee thanks for the technology lesson...

I regularly max out my ultima at around 50mbps. What you say might make sense if you had two single hosts talking to each other at one time and nothing else, but that's rarely a normal use case. Try a household of five with two streaming HD tv, one on skype, another playing minecraft and someone else working on a cloud vps. More is always good.

Why the hate? Fanboy much?

Huh? Me? Nah. Not the biggest Apple fan about, but got 4/5/5s/iPad and the lot anyway, but still prefer my S4 and Xiaomi Mi3, or the Nexus 7 to iPad. Horses for courses I guess...