Does anyone know where I can go to get a broken plastic item copied by 3D printing? Preferably here in IOM, but it's only a small part, so I could mail the broken one as a template.

Thanks.

Can't understand why you would want more broken parts !

• Like 2

3D Printing is done from a 3D Autocad type program, unless there is a 3D design of the broken part; you will not have any joy.....a 3D Scanner would be required for this, and they are pricey.

@ Silentbob: Thanks, an interesting difference. The part I need is from an old kitchen appliance which was very useful, but no longer on the market and useless without this simple plastic component. I saw a piece on 3D scanners/printers and wondered if anyone offered a 'copyshop' style service.

Ohhhh, got a missing part from a rare model kit. About the size of a thimble. Was going to knock a matching pair up from plastic card or resin cast a pair. Never thought of printing one - there's a sledge hammer and nut idea if ever there was one!

I know the college have a few 3d printers now, but befriending an engineering student wouldn't serve much purpose until the new term starts.

Lots of places in the US are now offering 3d printing services and I doubt it will be long before the UK follows.

I'm going to guess that you tried the hammer and evostick approach before looking for 3d printing.

Peachy printer (kickstarter project) is meant to be able to scan iirc.

You can make a 3D scanner using an Xbox Kinect camera though. A friend of mine made one and I've been meaning to make one for my printer.

If its a basic geometric shape though it's easy to design a file with Google Sketchup.