King William's College praise IGCSE ahead of 2015 introduction

Thomas Jefferson

If I ever have kids, they'll go to KWC or else they'll be home-schooled. State-run schools are a complete joke!

So either way they'll be completely shielded from the real world.

My eldest kids go to Ballakermeen, and the little one will join them in a couple of years. My daughter has just received her GCSE grades, and we're pretty pleased with them. Would she have done better at KWC? Perhaps the odd A she got at Balla might have become an A*. Would it have made any difference in the long run? I think not, except that by going to a normal state school you get to see the world how it really is.

The state-run schools are certainly not a complete joke. I'm happy with the education my kids are getting.

• Like 1

I also think that it's unfair to judge the current state system, based on how it was when we were at school. I can say that standard of education was very low at CRHS in the eighties. But in most of the the years since then there has been plenty of money to invest in facilities, and reducing class size. Not to mention fresh blood and fresh ideas. Behaviour was abysmal so that can't possibly have fallen. Also results are obviously much higher, kids entering my workplace seem more confident and articulate than we were. So it seems unfair to judge the state system based on our experiences.

King Williams College is totally non selective. Many children with learning difficulties have gone through and done well. Children who have problems in the state schools are frequently sent to the Buchan School if their parents can afford it where the smaller classes and higher expectations help them to catch up.

• Like 2

From my own experience, albeit 40 odd years ago, intelligence, or lack of, seemed no barrier to KWC admission. I remember quite a few who were frankly thick as pig shit but who's parents were minted. Likewise there were a fair number of Persians, as was, who's English was at best sketchy but daddy was minor royalty.

My excuse for squandering a scholarship was discovering that alcohol, recreational drugs, motorcycles and shagging were much more entertaining than Thomas Hardy or Publius Cornelius Scipio.

• Like 2

King Williams College is totally non selective. Many children with learning difficulties have gone through and done well. Children who have problems in the state schools are frequently sent to the Buchan School if their parents can afford it where the smaller classes and higher expectations help them to catch up.

I agree wih this. I don't think KWC are the problem in this whole picture. The state run schools are the ones who are defective.

If I ever have kids, they'll go to KWC or else they'll be home-schooled. State-run schools are a complete joke!

So either way they'll be completely shielded from the real world.

My eldest kids go to Ballakermeen, and the little one will join them in a couple of years. My daughter has just received her GCSE grades, and we're pretty pleased with them. Would she have done better at KWC? Perhaps the odd A she got at Balla might have become an A*. Would it have made any difference in the long run? I think not, except that by going to a normal state school you get to see the world how it really is.

The state-run schools are certainly not a complete joke. I'm happy with the education my kids are getting.

Sounds like your kids have done well due to good parenting. What I'm suggesting is that good parental involvement + mediocre school = a kid with a good chance of doing very well; meanwhile, poor or zero parental involvement + mediocre school = a reduced prospect of doing well. On the other hand, I'm suggesting a child with a reduced prospect may well have a higher prospect if they go somewhere like KWC. So the difference for your kids might have been minimal, because you're already compensating as a parent for any deficiency in the school, but KWC might serve to compensate the deficiency in cases of deficient parenting.....

I'm all for KWC -- in fact, if I ever get rich, I'll donate a sponsorship fund for smart kids of low income backgrounds to be able to go there.

I got a scholarship to KWC but decided not to accept it! I went for a sort of taster day and didn't like all the toffee-nosed English shits who thought they were better than everyone else. You might be able to buy yourself a better education there but 'how to be a decent person' didn't seem to be on the curriculum.

I appreciate your revulsion for that sort of culture, but there are plenty of nouveau riche offspring in the state-run schools who are brought up to follow the mantra of "gain wealth, forgetting all but self" and they also think they're better than everyone else -- or certainly better than people from poor backgrounds.

What I'm suggesting is that good parental involvement + mediocre school = a kid with a good chance of doing very well; meanwhile, poor or zero parental involvement + mediocre school = a reduced prospect of doing well. On the other hand, I'm suggesting a child with a reduced prospect may well have a higher prospect if they go somewhere like KWC. So the difference for your kids might have been minimal, because you're already compensating as a parent for any deficiency in the school, but KWC might serve to compensate the deficiency in cases of deficient parenting.....

I take that point. Basically, bright kids with interested parents will do well wherever they go. It'd be an interesting experiment to do a sort of reverse selection for KWC, whereby kids with disinterested parents and no prospects are the ones who get the scholarships, and see how they do. I'd support that.

• Like 3

From my own experience, albeit 40 odd years ago, intelligence, or lack of, seemed no barrier to KWC admission. I remember quite a few who were frankly thick as pig shit but who's parents were minted. Likewise there were a fair number of Persians, as was, who's English was at best sketchy but daddy was minor royalty.

My excuse for squandering a scholarship was discovering that alcohol, recreational drugs, motorcycles and shagging were much more entertaining than Thomas Hardy or Publius Cornelius Scipio.

And of course the odd bad influence....whatever.gif